Oprah: A brand new car -- for everybody!

Admiral Ackbar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Oprah gives entire audience new cars

This is nice and all, but I'm not the biggest Oprah fan in the world. Basically, I've always gotten the sense that she does these things not to help others, but basically for herself. I could be wrong though, but it's just what my instincts tell me.

I will say that I think signing all her jurors to do an episode after her Chicago murder trial was classless.

But I admit it would be nice to get a car for showing up to one of her shows. :D. Thought I probably wouldn't accept it. And if it truly helps a person out, at least it does some good!

What an attention whore. She doesn't give a fuck about helping people, she's just screaming "LOOK AT ME YOU STUPID MOTHER SHAQ-FUERS, LOOK HOW GREAT I AM" as loudly as she can.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']What an attention whore. She doesn't give a shaq-fu about helping people, she's just screaming "LOOK AT ME YOU STUPID MOTHER SHAQ-FUERS, LOOK HOW GREAT I AM" as loudly as she can.[/quote]

But tell us how you really feel...

I know you guys are probably just gonna flame me but maybe you shoudl give her SOME credit atleast. I mean c'mon she did help them and all you guys are doing is calling her dumb and negative responses. now i know that maybe it is semi true but face it..she did somethign good for those people

I think that was damn cool of her to give out new cars. Even if Pontiac did foot the bill, she still had to come up with the plan so that was nice of her.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']But I admit it would be nice to get a car for showing up to one of her shows. :D. Thought I probably wouldn't accept it. And if it truly helps a person out, at least it does some good![/quote]

So let me get this straight.
You are a loyal member of cheapassgamer but you would not accept a free car????

I would take the car sell it and buy a nice arcade system, probably a MVS with a super large widescreen monitor, flipped on edge so I could play shooters till I die.

Don't be jeolous. I watched one of those crazy giveaway shows she does and it makes EVERYONE cry with joy. Oprah does not BUY these for the audience. She negotiates with companies who are willing to give away products in exchange for air time on her show.

Oprah is amazing and those who have unkind words towards her are simply jealous. She devotes time and money to many charities and if I was Oprah I would be VERY proud of the life work that she has already done.

I watched this. She is clearly has too much money than she knows what to do with. That money should be taken away from her. She many be clinically insane.

[quote name='johnnyoski'][quote name='Admiral Ackbar']But I admit it would be nice to get a car for showing up to one of her shows. :D. Thought I probably wouldn't accept it. And if it truly helps a person out, at least it does some good![/quote]

So let me get this straight.
You are a loyal member of cheapassgamer but you would not accept a free car????[/quote]

Nah, I don't need it. I'd much rather it go to a needy person.

There's no real big woop about this anyway. Radio stations give away cars and things like this all the time. The difference being that instead of some contest Oprah just gave them all tho her current audience members.

As defender pointed out, she didn't buy these for her audience. Pontiac is the one I think covered this giveaway. And it's not a bad thing giving these things away. I don't watch Oprah so I didn't catch the show but she gives makeovers to needy people and so on. SO I respect that.

Personally, as I said, I sometimes just get an uneasy feeling that some things she does isn't ultimately for the people she's helping but for herself. For example, this was obviously an advertising gimmick, and it worked. But it it helps people out, that's great.

[quote name='Trakan']I watched this. She is clearly has too much money than she knows what to do with. That money should be taken away from her. She many be clinically insane.[/quote]

I very much doubt she paid for this out of her pocket, though she could easily afford it. I'm pretty sure Pontiac took the hit.

Well I personally don't care for Oprah. Her show just got old but whatever.
This is nothing more than a publicity stunt to help boost ratings....
But hell if I was there, yea I would take the car....lol

[quote name='Storamin']It's only a new pontiac... I think I'd sell it as soon as I got it and purchase a real car. :p[/quote]

It beats the hell out of my old craptastic car.

[quote name='HOTSHIET']I think that was damn cool of her to give out new cars. Even if Pontiac did foot the bill, she still had to come up with the plan so that was nice of her.[/quote]

How do you know it was her idea...maybe it was a producer or even Pontiac's idea.

Nah, I don't need it. I'd much rather it go to a needy person.

According to the article, the people in the audience were all needy.

As defender pointed out, she didn't buy these for her audience. Pontiac is the one I think covered this giveaway.

Yes, the article states that pontiac paid for the cars, each valued at $28,000+.

Personally, as I said, I sometimes just get an uneasy feeling that some things she does isn't ultimately for the people she's helping but for herself. For example, this was obviously an advertising gimmick, and it worked. But it it helps people out, that's great.[/quote]

It is an advertising gimmick, and I personally wonder why they didn't give out sunfires (which are considerably cheaper) instead of the relatively high end pontiacs. They could have helped out alot more people. Plus, if you are poor, even just paying the insurance on a $28k car might be a problem and you would end up having to sell it at a loss anyway.

[quote name='"Storamin"']It's only a new pontiac... I think I'd sell it as soon as I got it and purchase a real car. :p[/quote]

If the audience consisted of needy people, I seriously doubt that they are going to go and trade in their pontiac to get a new BMW. If that were the case, then they obviously lied about being needy.

[quote name='Moxio'][quote name='Storamin']It's only a new pontiac... I think I'd sell it as soon as I got it and purchase a real car. :p[/quote]

It beats the hell out of my old craptastic car.[/quote]
Have you seen the new Pontiac G6? The 3 sunroof deal is fugly and it's automatic.

[quote name='daria19']It is an advertising gimmick, and I personally wonder why they didn't give out sunfires (which are considerably cheaper) instead of the relatively high end pontiacs. They could have helped out alot more people. Plus, if you are poor, even just paying the insurance on a $28k car might be a problem and you would end up having to sell it at a loss anyway.[/quote]

The reason they gave out new G6's is because they want the G6 to have the exposure. People already know about sunfires, they already know their a womans car, but they don't know about the G6.

[quote name='"Storamin"'][quote name='"Moxio"'][quote name='"Storamin"']It's only a new pontiac... I think I'd sell it as soon as I got it and purchase a real car. :p[/quote]

It beats the hell out of my old craptastic car.[/quote]
Have you seen the new Pontiac G6? The 3 sunroof deal is fugly and it's automatic.[/quote]

No, I haven't seen the G6, but I seriously doubt that a needy person would complain about it being ugly or an automatic. It was a nice gesture for pontiac to donate the cars and for oprah to handle the distribution.

The reason they gave out new G6's is because they want the G6 to have the exposure. People already know about sunfires, they already know their a womans car, but they don't know about the G6.[/quote]

Good point.

yeah she gave cars to her audience, bt she also helped out a family that helps foster kids and helped a homless girl afford college. She is really a good person. I'm sure she drops lots of her own money on stuff that she never hypes on her show.

She has to hype the give away, other wise Pontiac would be angry about giving away free cars but not getting any publicity.

I'm sure this giveaway show took some work to get done. Oprah could hace just gotten paris hilton to interview and called it a day, but she went to the extra work and put in a really big give away show.

this woulda been funny if this was the second show where she gave away the cars. then all those people who went to her season premiere who got toasters and a lamp from pottery barn would be pissed.

Well this is nice and all but GM actually was the good guy. They paid for the cars and taxes to give to the people.

What it comes down to is she gets a giddy thrill from driving her audiances insane. She has a production EMPIRE which easily allows her to make deals with all the companies that suply her with the things she gives her audiance. There probably wont be ANY other car ad in her magazine for like the next 2 years after this.

Also when you concider pontiac only sells these cars for 20 something thousand dollars they probably only cost half that to make, so it's not like it's killin them.

[quote name='daria19']

It is an advertising gimmick, and I personally wonder why they didn't give out sunfires (which are considerably cheaper) instead of the relatively high end pontiacs. They could have helped out alot more people. Plus, if you are poor, even just paying the insurance on a $28k car might be a problem and you would end up having to sell it at a loss anyway.[/quote]

OMG I can see it now...on a future Oprah episode..."Heartbreaking stories of people who had to sell their cars because they couldn't afford auto insurance." The whole episode would consist of people complaining about how auto insurance costs too much and paying for it places limits upon their personal freedom, and nobody needs it (even if there are car accidents that could result in catastrophically huge medical bills), and how they should be allowed to drive their cars anyway. Just think, Oprah could recycle the same audience members again! :lol:

Say whatever you want, but I don't mind being one of those people there getting a brand new, freaking free car. Isn't that what being a cheapass is all about?

Now if Oprah finally had Letterman on and gave him a car I would definitely watch that episode. They could hug, share a good cry and dance a waltz over the closing credits. *sniff-sniff* I'm getting teary just thinking about it.

A Pontiac G6 Does not retail for $28,000. That is BS. The G6 is nothing more than a new Grand AM. A Grand Prix or Bonneville cost more around $28,000.

Hey, it's a free car... kinda makes me wish I was there.

The only beef I have on Oprah is that she unleashed Dr. Phil to the world. Hey, wait a minute! Just for THAT I'm going to laugh at all the Oprah jokes on Married... With Children even harder!

WOW! Some of you have taken hatin' to a whole new level. Applause all around.

The people in the audience were recommended by friends and family as needing cars.

As for the jury duty, I think she is doing a good job by showing what the experience was really like. Most people just want to avoid jury duty as much as possible.

bread's done
Back