Optional Full Installs - Can a 20 gb hard drive handle it?

wwfward

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
As everyone knows, all 360 games will have the options of the player installing the game into the hard drive. What would the average size of a game install be and could a 20 gb be sufficient?

It's going to be a tight squeeze for most, and likely not more than one game at a time unless the second one doesn't take up much space. You've only got, what, 12 GB to work with out of the box on a 20 GB anyway?

Id say if you would want to do this you NEED to upgrade to a 120 gig or possibly a 60 gig. On the 20 you could fit 1 MAYBE 2 games, like Kane said 8 gigs are taken up with system and XBOX Live crap. However this will be useless for me because the Gamefly option is out and I could not care less about a few second for load times, seems kind of useless to me.

I'm guessing 4gb-9gb per game, so a 20gb 360 would be able to handle probably one game (presuming they don't have a lot of DLC already on the box).

The way the wording in some places put it makes it sound confusing. It sounds like there's some kind of patch for all games, not just installing each one.
I'm figuring it's just installing each game though.

Considering the 360's read times are pretty decent, I'd say this is more of a gimmick for those who feel their 120GB HDs are going to waste.

~HotShotX

[quote name='HotShotX']Considering the 360's read times are pretty decent, I'd say this is more of a gimmick for those who feel their 120GB HDs are going to waste.

~HotShotX[/quote]
Yeah, there's really not too many games that have long load times. I guess the plus side of this is that it's less strain on the drive by reading things from the HD instead of the disc.

the only game I could see myself installing would be Mass Effect. Other than that, the loading times are not that bad at all for the other games I play

[quote name='fart_bubble']the only game I could see myself installing would be Mass Effect. Other than that, the loading times are not that bad at all for the other games I play[/quote]
I'd add in Orange Box and a few sports titles that could use some faster loading.

[quote name='shinryuu']I'd add in Orange Box and a few sports titles that could use some faster loading.[/QUOTE]

Burnout Revenge. Any and all Smackdown games.

You still have to have the disc in the drive though so this is merely about load times, not convenience. Based on that I doubt it's worth the price of upgrading for most.

It'll work fine for people who only play 1 game at a time. Install, play, complete, then delete and start on a new one. Or just choose the one whose load times piss you off the most. I can't think of one that really has me twiddling my thumbs for too long. I'd say Grid, but I actually enjoy looking at the screens they have up when loading.

Random point that connects to this: multi-disc games. The question is, could you install a multi-disc game and then 'recognize' it by just using ONE disc the whole time?

It's certainly kill any complaints about MGS4 being multiple discs, assuming it's coming.

I got excited about this for a second, then I listened to my 360 without a disc in the tray and it was still loud as hell. Going from obnoxiously loud to slightly-less obnoxiously loud really isn't that much of a benefit. I've never had an issue with load times other than the Mass Effect elevators.

[quote name='007']Random point that connects to this: multi-disc games. The question is, could you install a multi-disc game and then 'recognize' it by just using ONE disc the whole time?

It's certainly kill any complaints about MGS4 being multiple discs, assuming it's coming.[/QUOTE]

Why not? That's how most PC games work.

[quote name='HotShotX']Considering the 360's read times are pretty decent, I'd say this is more of a gimmick for those who feel their 120GB HDs are going to waste.

~HotShotX[/quote]

Or someone who wants the peace of mind that they won't fuck up and scratch their disc.

Man, my dvd-drive on my 360 is what makes 75% of the noise. It might be worth upgrading hard drives just for that, haha. But I guess I don't really notice after I've been playing, so maybe not...

I'm curious if they will start selling the 60GB HD seperate, like they do with the 120GB. I don't think that I'll need 120GB for mine, but a 60GB would be nice if the price was decent.

I'd only want to do installs to make it more quiet. The installs don't seem to help load times on some PS3 games (I'm looking at you Heavenly Sword!).

bread's done
Back