Optoma PT100 PlayTime Projector $179.99 @ Amazon

xfade

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Amazon Link

I was out and about, ready to go shopping for a TV, until I re-scanned Amazon for cheap projectors. And WOW!!! I found the biggest bang for anyone's buck.

A projector under $200 that actually PERFORMS.

This YouTube Video review convinced me this is a very efficient projector powered by LEDs. (Flip to 4:30 on the video to see the xbox power on via VGA cable)

I tried it last night, with multiple light settings, and it was tolerable @ mid-to-bright lighting. and MAGNIFICENT in a dark setting. I just bought me a 60" screen for my living room for under $200, and I saved a TON of real estate, albeit any entertainment center i would've needed for a TV.

Thought I had to share this in case anyone was looking into projectors, but saw that the gaming-worthy units are priced around $400+

If anyone has questions or want further pics after watching the video, I'll be glad to help anyone's buying decision.

I'm not an Optoma sales rep, btw.

I bought the Eyeclops on Woot when it was @ $30 and it had me wanting for more, but I didn't wanna spend top dollar on a projector (i'd much rather get a TV)....

this is 20x better than THAT toy. This is NOT a toy, don't let the title of the product fool you.

Do you think the picture quality is good enough for a photo montage via a laptop? Like could I use this at a banquet hall to show a photo montage at my wedding? I think the screen I'll be getting is 10x10.

Cool stuff, I made a thread about this projector not too long ago (although I was asking in general about good projectors for 480p gaming), but didn't get any responses so I went ahead and bought it. I'm also pretty happy with it, played some Dreamcast and watched a lot of DVDs with it, it's fun to transform a wall in your house into a huge screen. Glad to hear someone else on CAG is enjoying it!

The only problem I'm running into as of late is that it seems like it's going out of focus every now and then. Perhaps it's the fan speed ramping up that causes it, but the stand could also be a bit unstable (just a wobbly dresser for right now haha) so I probably just need to secure it better. Would appreciate if anyone has any ideas about fixing that.

The speaker on it isn't completely awful, certainly a lot nicer when you get an external set going, but nice to have if you want to take it somewhere else and not worry about a sound setup.

I'm also finding that widescreen resolutions don't work very well (I get screen panning instead of it being scaled to fit), at least with the laptop I have hooked up to it. But from other posts I've seen this depends on the video card, I'll have to try hooking this thing up to a better PC at some point.

But on the whole it's been pretty bad ass so far, highly recommend it.

[quote name='typeRJ']Do you think the picture quality is good enough for a photo montage via a laptop? Like could I use this at a banquet hall to show a photo montage at my wedding? I think the screen I'll be getting is 10x10.[/QUOTE]

It looks REALLL good for photos... it depends on your lighting situation. dark, moderate, dance-mood lighting, the photos will come crisp with a a slightly lightened color.

it's 480p, but the resolution output is over 800 pixels wide. I just ordered a VGA cable for my xbox360, to improve the sharpness. I can read TXT on my laptop just fine with a 60" diagnol.

[quote name='mugenmidget']Cool stuff, I made a thread about this projector not too long ago (although I was asking in general about good projectors for 480p gaming), but didn't get any responses so I went ahead and bought it. I'm also pretty happy with it, played some Dreamcast and watched a lot of DVDs with it, it's fun to transform a wall in your house into a huge screen. Glad to hear someone else on CAG is enjoying it!

The only problem I'm running into as of late is that it seems like it's going out of focus every now and then. Perhaps it's the fan speed ramping up that causes it, but the stand could also be a bit unstable (just a wobbly dresser for right now haha) so I probably just need to secure it better. Would appreciate if anyone has any ideas about fixing that.

The speaker on it isn't completely awful, certainly a lot nicer when you get an external set going, but nice to have if you want to take it somewhere else and not worry about a sound setup.

I'm also finding that widescreen resolutions don't work very well (I get screen panning instead of it being scaled to fit), at least with the laptop I have hooked up to it. But from other posts I've seen this depends on the video card, I'll have to try hooking this thing up to a better PC at some point.

But on the whole it's been pretty bad ass so far, highly recommend it.[/QUOTE]

falling out of focus, you're right on the fan kicking on... i was wondering if maybe a strip of tape to keep the focus dial stationary.

Overall, i'm still more than pleased with this thing @ this price. I couldn't believe I'd find such a good projector for > $200 . I almost gave up the search and bought a bulky tv for my living room (which is occupied by a huge furniture set i ordered.

bread's done
Back