Orcs & Elves @ Gamestop B&M - NEW - $9.99

hollowfreak

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
I searched and couldn't find anything on this. I picked up a DS this weekend and stopped by GS to pick up Dementium: The Ward (They must make a sequel for Wii) and I saw Orcs & Elves marked $9.99 NEW. I knew it wasn't that on the website because I checked before I left. It's still showing up as $19.99 on the website and it doesn't look like it's part of their GAMEDAYS SALE. Well anyways I figured I'd post it hopefully it's not YMMV and everyone else will make out on this deal. I'll post the link so you can check in-store availability.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=66985

edit: If anyone is interested in a Rumble Pak for the DS they also have them at Gamestop for $3/$5 U/N

link for locating ...

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/sear...eyword&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntt=ds rumble

make sure to click SHOW backordered items.

Ran across this by accident Saturday. After hearing some GS had Etrian Odyssey 2 early I stopped in one in Linden, NJ to grab a copy and saw Orcs & Elves sitting on the shelf at 9.99.

I also saw this in store. Was kinda pissed because I payed $20 for it a few weeks ago and haven't even played it yet.

Gah, you beat me to this post. I saw it a week or two ago for the price, but didn't check another GS to confirm it elsewhere.

[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']I bought this one just a few days ago, it's a great game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I bought it a few months ago and was blown away. Easily one of the most fun games I've played in the last year (and easily one of my top two or three favorite DS games). I played through the entire thing-about 10 hours-within a 24 hour period, and I *NEVER* do things like that. It was fun the entire time.

It reminds me of something like Eye of the Beholder, except it's probably actually a lot more fun/streamlined/easier, and it uses real 3D instead of static images that "click" like those old games did.

Actually the most fun Id game I've ever played (I'd have never thought that they should be doing RPGs!).

[quote name='Frosty The Batman']I'll have to think about this one.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Ebraum']I also saw this in store. Was kinda pissed because I payed $20 for it a few weeks ago and haven't even played it yet.[/QUOTE]

Don't think about it! If you like RPGs, buy it. If I had paid $30 I would have felt fine about that. $20 was a steal for me...$10...

I just picked up a copy and best of all...the clerk didn't do the hard sale on me by trying to sell me a display copy.

[quote name='roguejedi5']I actually have part 2 on my mobile, how this compare to that?[/QUOTE]

Well for one thing you actually own it, but my understanding from reviews is the DS game is massively improved over the cell phone game it's based on (I had actually forgotten they had released a cell phone version!)

You might be able to find some reviews that address the issue, but I'm pretty sure that's what I read.

Great deal! I paid $30 when it first came out (the Wal-Mart one with the stylus wand - very cool). $10 for a fun, snappy dungeon RPG is as good a cheapie deal as any other. I highly, highly recommend this game! Like others have said, it's easier than, say, a classic dungeon crawler, but it honestly works in favor of people who just want to get in quickly and have a few solid hours of fun. I literally could not put the game down and also beat the game within a day of buying it. Don't let that stop you, since there are other difficulty levels which feature some added extras to enemies (like self-resurrecting enemies whose corpses you must destroy lest they rise again!).

Anyway, I can't recommend this game enough. It was geniuinely fun, and the combat, though actually turn-based, moves so quickly and snappily that nothing feels like it drags at all.

Yeah, it's turn based but it feels faster paced than a lot of "real time" games (it moves as fast as you want it to). I didn't know there was extra stuff on higher difficulty levels! I might have to pull it out again and bump it up a notch sometime. Hope Id keeps doing RPGS :)

Thanks for the heads up OP.

I was lucky and was able to get the last sealed copy at my store. I would recommend this game to anyone that likes dungeon crawlers that play like Fatal Labyrinth or Azure Dreams with the whole you move they more gameplay.

That's an interesting comparison. There is a similarity there I hadn't considered. Those are basically bad Nethack clones though, while this is like the old 3D dungeon crawls (except probably better, or at least faster/easier to play).

Google Nethack if you haven't played it! One of the best two games ever made IMO.

[quote name='Xevious']I just picked up a copy and best of all...the clerk didn't do the hard sale on me by trying to sell me a display copy.[/quote]

Why in the world would a clerk ever give a hard sell for a display copy if there's also a sealed version? Selling the display copy would just create more work for the clerk because then he'd have to gut the sealed one. :roll:

[quote name='Wolfpup']That's an interesting comparison. There is a similarity there I hadn't considered. Those are basically bad Nethack clones though, while this is like the old 3D dungeon crawls (except probably better, or at least faster/easier to play).

Google Nethack if you haven't played it! One of the best two games ever made IMO.[/QUOTE]

Never heard of Nethack, thanks I'll have to check it out. I understand the difference in those being 2D and Orcs & Elves being 3D but as they play out is pretty much the same to me :) Something like Shining In The Darkness would be different to me as a dungeon crawler since you basically have random encounters of turn based battles like most RPGs.

Isn't the the game from Romero's new company? Was it actually decent or does it reek of arrogance and suck like everything else he's done since leaving id? :p

[quote name='FOnewearl']Never heard of Nethack, thanks I'll have to check it out. I understand the difference in those being 2D and Orcs & Elves being 3D but as they play out is pretty much the same to me :) Something like Shining In The Darkness would be different to me as a dungeon crawler since you basically have random encounters of turn based battles like most RPGs.[/QUOTE]

Oh wow, Nethack is AWESOME. It's usually listed at #1 (or at least on the list) of best games ever. The (theoretically) bad thing is it only uses ASCII graphics (or simple tile art)-that honestly doesn't matter once you get into it. It has SOOOOO much depth it's scary. Probably the most open ended game I've ever played, if not ever made. The problem with all the spin offs from stuff like Azure Dreams to Diablo is they're not very good if you've played the original (well, technically NetHack is still under development and the current version isn't the original either, but...) It is *THE* game you'd want if you were stuck on a desert island with a single game. Many people spend years playing it, 'cause there's so many new things you can try, and the random dungeons are actually interesting. (It has classes too...I don't think I've even tried all the classes in the modern version yet...oh, and of course the little dog! :D )

[quote name='rpepper']Isn't the the game from Romero's new company? Was it actually decent or does it reek of arrogance and suck like everything else he's done since leaving id? :p[/QUOTE]

NO! It has nothing to do with Romero, it's Id Software, and IMO it's their best game. Crazy fun. They NEED to do more RPGs!

[quote name='Wolfpup']
NO! It has nothing to do with Romero, it's Id Software, and IMO it's their best game. Crazy fun. They NEED to do more RPGs![/quote]

Thank God...I guess for some reason I thought Monkeystone was behind that...my brain needs dusted and wires need to be uncrossed. :lol:

This game is easily worth $10. I got mine with the stylus when it dropped to $20 at Wal-Mart and was happy paying that much for it.

it took me a little under 7 hours to finish it the first time through. I spent the first half of the game drunk
free Dwarven ale!
then I got the
Medusa scroll
and it was
stoned and smashed
a few times I'd screw up and use them both. It was fun while it lasted. If anyone is interested in a Rumble Pak for the DS they also have them at Gamestop for $3/$5 U/N

link for locating ...

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/sear...eyword&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntt=ds rumble

make sure to click SHOW backordered items.

Got one today after trading in $100 worth of Blockbuster stuff. They even had a sealed copy, though it has some crappy shrink-wrap . Can anyone else who bought a sealed copy confirm that is was done this way (it has the melty kind and not the folded wrap as many DS games do)? I wasn't planning on opening it any time soon but if it is a bad re-seal job I may have to.

[quote name='irc_email']You got a re-wrap, mine has the folded kind.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I was just going to come on here and confirm that this is one of those titles with the cheap wrap. I saw a $29.99 copy at TRU locked in a security case and it has the exact same cheap melted wrap that mine has. This has happened with other DS games - some are done with the folded and some not. I think I'm good...

That's good to know. I wonder why that is though? I think I recall either GBA or Gamecube games being the same way, some wrapped terribly.

[quote name='io'] They even had a sealed copy, though it has some crappy shrink-wrap . Can anyone else who bought a sealed copy confirm that is was done this way (it has the melty kind and not the folded wrap as many DS games do)? I wasn't planning on opening it any time soon but if it is a bad re-seal job I may have to.[/quote]

I would have said crappy reseal myself if I didn't have some experience working at a GameStop. For some reason, we occasionally get entire shipments of new games in a weird seal that's not the folded kind. This happens with DS games and PSP/UMDs only. I don't know why it happens, but I can tell you that it is unlikely that some random GameStop employee resealed the game himself. Afterall, he's either too busy to waste time with the resealing process, or he's too apathetic to think that just placing a sticker over the case will be good enough. I'd say open it up, and if it looks like it's in bad shape, explain your story, "I just opened this, WTF," to the nicest GS you know!

Just picked up Orcs & Elves ($10 new) at an out-of-town Gamestop; all new copies of the game they had on-hand had the crappy seal/reseal. What was weird was that they still wanted $18 for used copies of the game.

I also bought some used PS2 games (all complete - Dynasty Tactics, Goblin Commander, Nightmare of Druaga, Ribbit King, Shadow of Destiny, Suikoden IV). The total damage for everything (including Orcs & Elves) was less than $50. :)

IS THIS GAME EVEN ANY GOOD? I just don't know what the fuss is about could somebody let me know why this game is a good buy?!

[quote name='oni-link']IS THIS GAME EVEN ANY GOOD? I just don't know what the fuss is about could somebody let me know why this game is a good buy?![/quote]

The best I can say is read reviews to get an idea if you'd like it. I don't think it's for everyone, but $10 for a new game for people who like the genre, it's a good deal.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Oh wow, Nethack is AWESOME. It's usually listed at #1 (or at least on the list) of best games ever. The (theoretically) bad thing is it only uses ASCII graphics (or simple tile art)-that honestly doesn't matter once you get into it. It has SOOOOO much depth it's scary. Probably the most open ended game I've ever played, if not ever made. The problem with all the spin offs from stuff like Azure Dreams to Diablo is they're not very good if you've played the original (well, technically NetHack is still under development and the current version isn't the original either, but...) It is *THE* game you'd want if you were stuck on a desert island with a single game. Many people spend years playing it, 'cause there's so many new things you can try, and the random dungeons are actually interesting. (It has classes too...I don't think I've even tried all the classes in the modern version yet...oh, and of course the little dog! :D )[/QUOTE]

If the graphics are a hurdle for you, there are even ways around that - there are a ton of versions of the game out there. The basic one has a nifty 2D tile set, but there are 3D isometric versions and fancier graphics out there if you want them. :)

I was going to link to the tile set, but it's actually on the Nethack home page.

I'm interested, but I'm going to have to pass for now. Being broke sucks - damn you, four dollar gas! :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking for something new and decided to finally try this out. I wasn't interested at first because I assumed it was just a crappy cel phone port. It does have that port feel. It's not deep, the graphics are weak, items/inventory are limited, but like Earth Defense Force 2017 it turns out to be more than the sum of it's parts. It's solid old-school fun. Kind of a mix between Doom and Ultima Underworld. It does take advantage of the touch screen, but it's smoother to play with the d-pad/buttoms. I really like the auto-mapping and ability to save anywhere. A deeper sequel built from the ground up for the DS would rock.

bread's done
Back