Original Xbox gems?

arsenalcrazy8

CAGiversary!
Hey guys. I recently decided to pick up an original xbox for 10 bucks because I had some games that were not BC with the 360.

This got me thinking. IMO the original xbox had a pretty short lifespan, and growing up I never wanted one, nor did I really care for any games that came out for it.

BUT now Im curious. Are there any gems out there? Any games that you recommend I pick up that slipped under the radar or are must-haves? Im particularly interested in games that are not backwards compatible with the 360.

You dont need to mention Halo, KOTOR, or any mainstream ones.

Breakdown
Conker: Live & Reloaded
GunValkyrie
Jade Empire
Metal Arms
Otogi
Otogi 2
Panzer Dragoon Oorta
Phantom Dust
Second Sight
Shenmue II
Toe Jam & Earl 3

There's a sub forum under Microsoft for the original Xbox by the way.

[quote name='blindinglights']Breakdown
GunValkyrie
Jade Empire
Metal Arms
Otogi
Otogi 2
Panzer Dragoon Oorta
Phantom Dust
Second Sight
Shenmue II
Toe Jam & Earl 3

There's a sub forum under Microsoft for the original Xbox by the way.[/QUOTE]

Good List - I would add Incredible Hulk - Ultimate Destruction
(That one is compatible with the 360)

Are looking for just exclusives or everything? I mean, Metal Arms and Second Sight was released on Gamecube and Playstation 2. Then again, Shenmue II was on Dreamcast (JPN/EUR only).

If everything, I'd add: Silent Hill 2, Timesplitters 2, and Timesplitters: Future Perfect

If just exclusives, I'd add: Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, Mech Assault, and Pariah.

I knew those were multi-plat games but they didn't seem very popular so I thought I'd add them anyway since Xbox games usually looked the best last generation. The Timesplitters games are a lot of fun, me and my friends used to play them a lot.

Also, I loved Ultimate Destruction, and if I remember correctly the original Xbox can play it at 720p.

The two Otogi games and GunValkyrie are all awesome but I never beat any of them. Panzer Dragoon Orta was awesome and probably one of my favorite games on the Xbox.

Stubbs the Zombie is one game I always wanted to play but never got around to.

[quote name='blindinglights']Breakdown
GunValkyrie
Jade Empire
Metal Arms
Otogi
Otogi 2
Panzer Dragoon Oorta
Phantom Dust
Second Sight
Shenmue II
Toe Jam & Earl 3

There's a sub forum under Microsoft for the original Xbox by the way.[/QUOTE]

For Xbox exclusives, I also agree with this list and strongly recommend Otogi 1 & 2. Also, as recommended above, Breakdown and Call of Cthulhu are very much worth checking out.

I'd also like to recommend Armed & Dangerous, which is a bit of an unpolished shooter with a good sense of humor and the best action game jetpack I've ever seen. Also, Outrun2 is a great arcade racer, and often overlooked. Worth checking out Phantom Dust as well, which is a bit odd, but different than just about anything else out there.

And here's one that no one else will recommend, but it's totally worth it: Galleon. It looks dated because it was being developed for the Dreamcast, but it was done by Toby Gard who was frustrated at how clunky Lara Croft had become. The lead character is very charismatic and has a great moveset.

Stubbs the Zombie was one of my favorite games on the original Xbox. If you are a big mech fan, Steel Battalion is a must have in my mind. I love that controller too. However, if you have a buddy hanging around who has a fascination with pressing buttons you'll get ejected every few minutes. Jerk.

A few votes:

Panzer Dragoon Orta
NFL 2k5
Hunter the Reckoning for multiplayer fun
I also really liked the 2nd and 3rd LOTRs games. (hack and slash)

Everyone already listed my favorites. I was given an XBOX very late in it's life so I only played the exclusives I missed (mostly Sega games). Some of these are BC.

Shenmue II
Jet Set Radio Future
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Stubbs The Zombie
Indigo Prophecy

Also played a bunch of fighters, but they're dated now and not worth picking up. The only one I can think that might be worth your time would be SVC Chaos, but only because it never got any other release over here. It's not that great of a game, but it was kinda cool to see Capcom guys all SNKed out.

As was said, before: Otogi and Otogi 2. These were probably my favorite original Xbox games. And if you can track down one of the official xbox magazine dvds, there was one with a Japanese demo for Metal Wolf Chaos. I think the demo alone is worth playing, but if you can find a way to get and play the full Japanese one...go for it!

bread's done
Back