Original Xbox Wireless Network Adapter $40 shipped [Works with 360][UPDATED PRICE]

Nicko

CAGiversary!
Amazon just got the Original Xbox Wireless Network adapter back in stock for only $40 + free shipping. This adapter works just fine with the Xbox 360, and was recently cited by Gizmodo as the best Xbox wireless solution.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless..._2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1232140511&sr=1-2

Also, here is the gizmodo thread talking about how to set up the adapter, as well as info on other wireless solutions.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5133447/how-to-add-wi+fi-to-your-xbox-360-smartly-and-cheaply

EDIT: Adapter is now only $40 SHIPPED!

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up one of these used at gamecrazy about six months ago for around $25.00

My brother in law has been using it with his 360 and it works great.

[quote name='Beer Monkey']If it has a power adapter you might as well just get a cheap general-purpose bridge.[/quote]

One of the main benefits is that it doesnt monopolize one of the usb ports, which is what makes it attractive as there are limited connections on the back.

2 points:

1. Get it $10 cheaper ($39.99 shipped) at newegg.
2. Keep in mind this does NOT support WPA. If you use WEP then you're good, otherwise you need to find another solution.

[quote name='unseth']2 points:

1. Get it $10 cheaper ($39.99 shipped) at newegg.
2. Keep in mind this does NOT support WPA. If you use WEP then you're good, otherwise you need to find another solution.[/quote]

Add 8.00 shipping to newegg and your only saving 2.00 dollars.

wow, so it really works with the 360. i might just pick one up, then i'll be able to move my 360 around, and still have online yay!!! BTW any big differences between this one and the one for the 360

[quote name='mcroa7']Either it also supports "A" but no one uses that so who cares[/QUOTE]

The 360 one supports A , this old Xbox one does not .

B or G only .

I have 2 of these .

I've had one sitting on my shelf for like a year. It DOES work with the 360, however the device is not very smart and doesn't pick up signals nearly as well, on top of also needing frequent power cycling. I ponied up $55 for a used one at gamestop.

[quote name='sobishop']Add 8.00 shipping to newegg and your only saving 2.00 dollars.[/QUOTE]

He wrote $39.99 SHIPPED, so, yeah, it's $10. And even if it was only $2, then wouldn't it still be a better deal?

[quote name='rpgamer92']I might just pick one up, then i'll be able to move my 360 around, and still have online yay!!![/quote]

Actually, not quite because...

BTW any big differences between this one and the one for the 360
...the original Xbox Wireless Adapter doesn't connect directly to your console. You'll have your 360's network port tethered to your wireless adapter box.

I was going to buy one of these since I'm a Mac user but I found out I could use my Airport on my Macbook Pro and just use wifi sharing. More or less because we share internet with our neighbors, and the router is in their apartment. Unfortunately I can't do a whole lot of gaming online, but I usually do that at my boyfriend's house with his router anyways (60" samsung dlp hd gaming versus my crappy 20" tv in my room, yayy)

Anyways! Helpful for Mac users: http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/17/how-to-share-your-macs-internet-connection-with-your-xbox/

If you go to GameStop with the 20% off coupon and an Edge card you can get a used official 360 network adapter for $48.99 plus tax. While it might be $3-13 more (based on Amazon vs NewEgg) you don't rely upon a power outlet and you can use WPA instead, plus it looks a lot nicer.

[quote name='v1c70r']im selling mine for 35. Pm me. Does not work with my new internet.[/quote]

I'm interested in it, but I can't PM you because it says your box is full.

[quote name='Destromas']I've had one sitting on my shelf for like a year. It DOES work with the 360, however the device is not very smart and doesn't pick up signals nearly as well, on top of also needing frequent power cycling. I ponied up $55 for a used one at gamestop.[/QUOTE]

I usually move mine a little to get an optimal signal .
Oddly enough this old adapter works better than my 360 one , probably due to it's physical location it is in .

I hooked up on mine by intercepting a Gamestop trade in , getting it for $28 , at the Halo 3 midnight sale .

I've got one of these, and it's really useful as a bridge. You need an Xbox or a 360 to set it up, but once you do, it turns any wired device into a wireless one. What I really like about it is, since it's a separate device, you can position the bridge anywhere you want. I usually put it on top of a bookshelf or something to get the best range.

[quote name='Demontooth']Just run a 100 foot cord from your router and be done with it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's always the best solution for gaming. I never game on a wireless network. Unfortunately, for some people, that's not an option.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']He wrote $39.99 SHIPPED, so, yeah, it's $10. And even if it was only $2, then wouldn't it still be a better deal?[/quote]

It is not 39.99 shipped. It is 39.99 plus 8.00 for shipping which by my calculations comes out to 47.99. This is why you need to pay attention to your teacher instead of being on this website.

[quote name='Demontooth']Just run a 100 foot cord from your router and be done with it.[/quote]

haha this was my solution. not pretty but it gets the job done.

[quote name='sobishop']It is not 39.99 shipped. It is 39.99 plus 8.00 for shipping which by my calculations comes out to 47.99. This is why you need to pay attention to your teacher instead of being on this website.[/QUOTE]

And I'm telling you what he WROTE, regardless of what's on the website. Read more carefully. It could be $1,000 shipping, in actuality. I didn't check the site, just what he wrote. You didn't indicate in your initial post that you went to the site and verified, so one can ONLY infer that you misread his post.

And by MY calculations, $47.99 is less than $50, so maybe you should pay attention to your MATH teacher.

Heres a way to update to wpa
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13360873
You will have to change the firmware but great for people like me who go one for 1.99 at thrift town.
Have not yet done this yet and I accept not responsibility if you ruin you adapter. But seems promising as stated in the topic I would only use if this is the only thing that you have that is not wpa. But i will never run wep again.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ubiiquitous']And I'm telling you what he WROTE, regardless of what's on the website. Read more carefully. It could be $1,000 shipping, in actuality. I didn't check the site, just what he wrote. You didn't indicate in your initial post that you went to the site and verified, so one can ONLY infer that you misread his post.

And by MY calculations, $47.99 is less than $50, so maybe you should pay attention to your MATH teacher.[/quote]

If it were 1000 dollars shipping, that would come out to be 1039.99 shipped which would still make his statement incorrect. I kindly stated that you need to add another 8.00 for shipping which comes to 47.99 shipped not 39.99 shipped. Are you grasping this, pumpkin?

[quote name='sobishop']If it were 1000 dollars shipping, that would come out to be 1039.99 shipped which would still make his statement incorrect. I kindly stated that you need to add another 8.00 for shipping which comes to 47.99 shipped not 39.99 shipped. Are you grasping this, pumpkin?[/QUOTE]

Play nice kids...don't make me turn this website around. No one will have wireless then.

[quote name='sobishop']If it were 1000 dollars shipping, that would come out to be 1039.99 shipped which would still make his statement incorrect. I kindly stated that you need to add another 8.00 for shipping which comes to 47.99 shipped not 39.99 shipped. Are you grasping this, pumpkin?[/QUOTE]

You are still not grasping that $47.99 is less than $50, so your whole argument is moot, summer squash.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']You are still not grasping that $47.99 is less than $50, so your whole argument is moot, summer squash.[/quote]

I'm not saying it was a better deal. I was merely correcting him so that people aren't mislead into thinking they get it for 10.00 cheaper. Can you dig that, sucka?

[quote name='mcroa7']One of the main benefits is that it doesnt monopolize one of the usb ports, which is what makes it attractive as there are limited connections on the back.[/QUOTE]

what else do you use the USB port on the back for?

this thing has its own AC adapter, doesn't connect directly to the 360... it is not attractive in the slightest. the cheap price is what makes it attractive.

it works, yes, i used one for a while. the 360 plug & play one IS attractive, plug it in and enter your security info and you're online. it's more expensive, yes, but if you can get one for cheaper than retail ($50 used at gamestop) then i would recommend it.

[quote name='TypeSH']what else do you use the USB port on the back for?

this thing has its own AC adapter, doesn't connect directly to the 360... it is not attractive in the slightest. the cheap price is what makes it attractive.

it works, yes, i used one for a while. the 360 plug & play one IS attractive, plug it in and enter your security info and you're online. it's more expensive, yes, but if you can get one for cheaper than retail ($50 used at gamestop) then i would recommend it.[/QUOTE]
I have both and this old XBOX one works better [faster] than my new 360 one [I paid less for] due to the fact that you can hide/move it around to get a better signal .
Who cares what it looks like [seriouosly?] mine is behind my TV where it gets a better signal .

[quote name='TypeSH']what else do you use the USB port on the back for?

it works, yes, i used one for a while. the 360 plug & play one IS attractive, plug it in and enter your security info and you're online. it's more expensive, yes, but if you can get one for cheaper than retail ($50 used at gamestop) then i would recommend it.[/quote]

I agree with you on this one. Talking about using one a USb port in the back? How about the old one using a power slot on your wall or multiplug + drawing power lol. The wireless one can be had at a great price if you can find it at gamestop + 30% off which is what I did, have no trouble with signal either and it's not messy with wires etc, and yes this is an issue for many people including me.

Does Gamestop sell this used and is it on the site in a backdoor way so I could use a locator? I'd like to use the 20% off + edge to get one. I didn't see it on the site, but neither were the GC component cables I got there. . .

It is an excellent adapter. I have had it for a while and it works great. Good luck to those who get one.

I ordered one yesterday from Amazon for 39.99 shipped. I look forward to getting rid of the 20ft+ cord that is running around my room and more importantly saving $60 by not paying for the outrageously priced 360 adapter.

If anyone wants one, I have one that is MINT (used for a week) and will get rid of it for $25 shipped. Note that it doesn't seem to work w/ WPA, only WEP security. Shoot me a PM if interested.

I have one of these, picked it up at fry's for 40$ (still had some at 1 or 2 stores as of 3 weeks ago). Mine seems to run super hot, and when the temp gets up there, i need to power it down for a while to get it to connect properly (even from within the same room as router).

Mostly i use this when i move my box to the larger TV in the house, otherwise, i just hardwire the damn thing to the back of my router.

What sucks, is i realized i could have just bought another of the router i'm using. An offname wireless-N (+ABG) router i got for 20 bucks at frys (it's now 25 or more for the same one). o well.

[quote name='bigsyxxy']If anyone wants one, I have one that is MINT (used for a week) and will get rid of it for $25 shipped. Note that it doesn't seem to work w/ WPA, only WEP security. Shoot me a PM if interested.[/QUOTE]

Sent you a PM

WEP, no thanks. Why not just buy a wireless bridge i paid $14.99 for my SMC bridge new and it worked great until i had my HT which is all hardwired now.

[quote name='Demontooth']Just run a 100 foot cord from your router and be done with it.[/quote]
Ha, a truely cheapass solution.
I just needed a 25' cable. My 360 is in the basement, so I drilled a hole behind my computer desk and routed it through the ceiling. I only paid $8 including shipping from monoprice.com.

bread's done
Back