other question about the PS2 HDD Hard Drive

CAGiversary!
Feedback
37 (100%)
How do I transfer saved data from my memory card to the hard drive? Do I need some program to do this?

[quote name='BigDirty']The network adapter has the power and IDE controls for the drive, no network adapted, no HD controls.[/QUOTE]
Damn-it, I was afraid of that. Anyone know where to find a cheap network adapter?

edit. Also, do I have to connect it to the internet just to save games?

My TRU has the Final Fantasy XI PS2 HDD. I was wondering, is it possible to use this as a memory card/storage only? I dont have the network adapter, but will I need that just to save games on it?

I don't think any PS2 game supports using the HD as a memory card. However, you can use the browser to copy saved games from and to the hard drive to store saved games, so you can save space on your memory card.

Damn-it, I was afraid of that. Anyone know where to find a cheap network adapter?

edit. Also, do I have to connect it to the internet just to save games?
$20 if your Best Buy still carries it, $15 after GGC.

You don't have to connect to the internet to use the hard drive. In fact some games allow you to use the hard drive to cache files so your load times are decreased (e.g. Street Fighter Alpha Anthology, Metal Saga, etc.).

if you are looking to back up game save i would just get something like codebreaker/action replay/max drive and backup your save to a usb drive.

[quote name='espy605']I don't think any PS2 game supports using the HD as a memory card. However, you can use the browser to copy saved games from and to the hard drive to store saved games, so you can save space on your memory card.[/quote]
Many of the ESPN 2K games did for the past few years, though I'm not sure about this year's stuff. Along with RE Outbreak and FFXI, there's not much else, though. I think RPG maker 3 uses it, so you'll pretty much have to research a list before jumping on it.

[quote name='espy605']I don't think any PS2 game supports using the HD as a memory card. However, you can use the browser to copy saved games from and to the hard drive to store saved games, so you can save space on your memory card.

$20 if your Best Buy still carries it, $15 after GGC.

You don't have to connect to the internet to use the hard drive. In fact some games allow you to use the hard drive to cache files so your load times are decreased (e.g. Street Fighter Alpha Anthology, Metal Saga, etc.).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I wanted to do, is transfer saves from my memory card to the HDD. Will I still need the network adapter for that?

you wont be able to use the HDD no matter what if you dont have the network adapter. I would suggets going with the codebreaker/action replay/max drive method. Plus you can download game save off the net.

Yeah, that's what I wanted to do, is transfer saves from my memory card to the HDD. Will I still need the network adapter for that?

As BigDirty and 62t stated, yes. There is no way around this.

[quote name='6669']How do I transfer saved data from my memory card to the hard drive? Do I need some program to do this?[/quote]Do you have the official PS2 hard drive? I think you can do it straight from the browser. However, if it's a normal HDD and you're trying to do it, you'll either need a modded PS2 or use the memory card exploit to run something like ULaunchELF and transfer stuff around.

If you're looking to not get into homebrew apps and whatnot, I really can't help you, but if you are, let me know and I'll link you to the right places and help you out as much as I can.

Sony screwed up horribly with their hard drive support. It should have been available no more than 3 months after launch and sold as a memory card of near infinite capacity. Requiring all games to support it for data saves would not have been a problem so long a the developers had something to test against. Labor-wise, it's trivial and there would littlle objection to that when the enhancement to the platform was considered.

A bottomless well memory card for well under $100 would have been sufficent justification for at least 10% of the PS2 buyers to get the drive until games existed that tok greater advantage of it. This was all very well established stuff, Sony needed only to use available technology with no licensing requirements.

As it is, the only good reason to have the Sony drive is Final Fantasy XI and the Resident Evil: Outbreak games, which are unplayable or effectively unplayable without the drive. Otherwise, it is far more useful to just throw big 100+GB drive in there for use with a utility like HDLoader.

It just occurred to me that Capcom should do a kart racer spinoff of the Resident Evil series. No, really, bear with me. They could draw upon the aforementioned Resident Evil: Outbreak setting and call it RE:O Speedwagon.

[quote name='6669']new question in the OP. Anyone?[/QUOTE]

Like someone else already stated, you simply do it from the PS2's Browser screen with the official HDD. With any hard drive though, you can use any CodeBreaker 9.x to do the same thing.

Thanx for everyone for responding.
I have the official HDD. I tried to copy a file from my memory card and it wouldnt let me. Am I doing something wrong?

[quote name='6669']Thanx for everyone for responding.
I have the official HDD. I tried to copy a file from my memory card and it wouldnt let me. Am I doing something wrong?[/QUOTE]
Just click on the save and move to "My saves" or something along thoes lines.

You need to make a new folder on your HDD first. The icon is on the top right hand part of the screen. Then you can transfer files from your memory card to the new folder you created.

[quote name='evilmax17']You need to make a new folder on your HDD first. The icon is on the top right hand part of the screen. Then you can transfer files from your memory card to the new folder you created.[/QUOTE]
That's what I needed to do. Thanks max, and everyone else that helped.

bread's done
Back