other ways to make your 360 wireless

Drnick

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
my brother just got his 360 and he doesn't have anything wired in his house (his 2 laptops and home computer are all wireless, so he needs his 360 to go wireless as well.

Just wondering how many of you ran into this and what you did to resolve it, the M$ wireless adaptor seems WAY over priced.... does it work well? is there a better solution? can you just use a normal access point with the xbox?

my brother and I are both pretty technical so no worries there, he is concerned that getting something other than the M$ one might not smoothly integrate with his Xbox.

thanks in advance!

I've heard the regular Xbox wireless adapter works fine on the 360 (have not tested this myself) - these are usually available in the $30's on Ebay I think.

I use my $12 802.11g Wireless Bridge, and before that i used the Logitech Cube Wirless bridge but the 1.5mb throughput jsut wasnt enough

[quote name='jprev']I've heard the regular Xbox wireless adapter works fine on the 360 (have not tested this myself) - these are usually available in the $30's on Ebay I think.[/quote]

I use this myself. Works like a champ.

Here's a cheap one.

I have an Apple airport extreme base station and an airport express. I plugged the 360 into the express's ethernet port and it works like a charm--thinks it's wired.

[quote name='Layd Dly']I use my $12 802.11g Wireless Bridge, and before that i used the Logitech Cube Wirless bridge but the 1.5mb throughput jsut wasnt enough[/QUOTE]

which bridge is that? some off shoot name brand? do you have a model? the router is in the next room so it doesn't even need to be that great of a signal.

I've used ICS via my laptop which worked reasonably well but I hated having my laptop AND my 360 on at the same time. (Pet peeve I guess).

I'm now using a Buffalo router (no longer sold in US) with a custom firmware as a wireless client. I'm not at all satisfied with the performance. XBL takes considerably longer to load as does in game matchmaking.

I may pony up the $100 for the wireless card just for the hell of it...

the MS 360 connector is way overpriced. I got mine for free though and have been using it since Oct. and have never had anything but flawless connections. before all these shitty live issues that is, but thats a different topic.

[quote name='Layd Dly']I use my $12 802.11g Wireless Bridge, and before that i used the Logitech Cube Wirless bridge but the 1.5mb throughput jsut wasnt enough[/quote]

I also used/use the logitech cube. It sucks when I stream videos, other than that its a nice cheap way to do it.

[quote name='gundamxzero']I also used/use the logitech cube. It sucks when I stream videos, other than that its a nice cheap way to do it.[/QUOTE]

I also used that for a while. I think the actual name is the logitech wireless play link. Woot sold them for $15 each about a year ago, but prices seem to be a little higher now on ebay. It works fine for playing games, but I would have to agree that other uses would be slow. Although it worked fine for general internet surfing on my pc.

I use my original XBox receiver. It is the same wireless G as the new receiver. Also, an advantage is, it uses the ethernet port, instead of the USB, which allows for the HDDVD drive, another storage device, or peripheral like the camera or w/e.

I bought a Wireless N router, and returned my new receiver after finding out that it was just a more stylish, and ultimately more lacking device than the original.

Good luck :)

I use the Linksys WGA54G Wireless-G Gaming Adapter and it works like a charm without rebooting or any hassles. Just have to plug it into a pc and run the software to setup for your router and then input the same setting into the wireless area of your 360 and your good to go!!!

[quote name='Drnick']which bridge is that? some off shoot name brand? do you have a model? the router is in the next room so it doesn't even need to be that great of a signal.[/quote]

SMC EZ Connect G 2.4GHZ
54MBPS Wireless Ethernet Bridge
204114826.jpg

I bought it when buy.com had it for like 21.99 and then used GCO for the uber cag deal. Should still be able to find it pretty cheap though.

[quote name='jprev']I've heard the regular Xbox wireless adapter works fine on the 360 (have not tested this myself) - these are usually available in the $30's on Ebay I think.[/quote]

Correct. Two of my friends use this method.

I use one of those direct connect wireless thingys. It's comprised of two tiny black cubes, one you plug into your router and the other into your Xbox. The range is good (I have mine about 75 feet away from each other), and it's been surprisingly reliable. I got it for less than $15 on eBay. I'll try to find a link in a minute.

This may be a stupid question, but, if his 2 laptops and home computer are wireless, would he have any problem with/objection to moving his connection and wireless router to where he is setting up the 360, and have the 360 use a wired connection off the router?

[quote name='guessed']This may be a stupid question, but, if his 2 laptops and home computer are wireless, would he have any problem with/objection to moving his connection and wireless router to where he is setting up the 360, and have the 360 use a wired connection off the router?[/QUOTE]

Well, the assumption is that he doesn't want to move that stuff just to accomodate his 360's connection.

bread's done
Back