Out of This World (Another World) GoG.com 15th Anniversary $9.99

J7.

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Out of this World (Another World) 15th Anniversary Edition $9.99
includes all free (you only get these from Gog.com unless you opt to find a retail disc version):
- manual
- hi-res wallpapers
- development diary
- technical handbook
- soundtrack
- making of video
- compatible with Windows XP & Vista (32 & 64 bit)
http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/

Do you think this would run on Windows 7?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lately it seems almost all of GOG's releases have trouble with Windows 7... GOG themselves doesn't support it, and from what I've seen on their forums and such, offer zero support for it.

My advice is to wait a few days and check their forums for other people to test it / fix it and grab it then. It seems the fans on the forums do more to fix the games then GOG does, imo. 9 times out of 10 the fans will find workarounds for Vista / 7 issues.

Still in my Top Ten Games of All Time - easily. I wish they'd re-release the 3DO version - it had some REALLY nice texture work for backgrounds/foregrounds.

If you've never played it (all the way through), you owe it to yourself!!!

I could never really get past the very first level of this game where that black cat thing kills you ... I want to blame it on the fact I was younger at the time I first played this ... but I fear that if I buy this I will get exactly as far and want to turn it off.

Anyone particularly passionate about this game? Is the rest of the game worth seeing or is it one of those cool for it's time but hasn't really aged well type deals?

[quote name='keithp']Even though I love GOG, apparently it's $1 cheaper if you get it straight from the author-

Link[/QUOTE]

Apparently, the author's version has DRM for anyone that cares. Also, from reading the forums, it seems the extras are not included at all.

So many great memories of this game. It was the first one that really made me conscious of the art design behind a game's presentation.

[quote name='opportunity777']Apparently, the author's version has DRM for anyone that cares. Also, from reading the forums, it seems the extras are not included at all.[/QUOTE]

Where do you see the DRM? I just saw "Possible to burn your game onto a CD/DVD". Let me know if I'm missing it. I'm just always for purchasing from the author over any game distributor. They get all the cut instead of a thinly sliced slice.

[quote name='opportunity777']Also, from reading the forums, it seems the extras are not included at all.[/QUOTE]

This is correct. The extras that are included with the GOG release are only on the retail disc version if you buy from the developer.

[quote name='hambonious']Where do you see the DRM? I just saw "Possible to burn your game onto a CD/DVD". Let me know if I'm missing it. I'm just always for purchasing from the author over any game distributor. They get all the cut instead of a thinly sliced slice.[/QUOTE]

From what I gathered from the forum posts, the site that is needed to purchase the author's game directly has online connection DRM or something similar. I may be incorrect because I have never used it, and all of the information I gathered on that is second hand knowledge.

One owner states the extras are not included in the author's version.

EDIT: Confirmed again in the post above me. I understand my first sentences are crudely worded.

[quote name='norkusa']link busted[/QUOTE]

I put the link, it stopped working, I fixed it and it worked, then it stopped working again... I don't know what it's doing. I'll just link to Gog.com instead.

I remember seeing this years ago directly from Chahi but I didn't want to use that site, Gog.com makes things easier and without worries. Now with these bonuses I don't think I'll be able to pass this up.

[quote name='etcrane']I could never really get past the very first level of this game where that black cat thing kills you ... I want to blame it on the fact I was younger at the time I first played this ... but I fear that if I buy this I will get exactly as far and want to turn it off.

Anyone particularly passionate about this game? Is the rest of the game worth seeing or is it one of those cool for it's time but hasn't really aged well type deals?[/QUOTE]

This is one of the best games ever made imo. The game just delivers and keeps on delivering. It has aged as well as Flashback & the first 2 Oddworld games. Definitely something to be experienced. I don't know how much you will enjoy it now but that is what I can say about it.

[quote name='norkusa']link busted[/QUOTE]

I put the link, it stopped working, I fixed it and it worked, then it stopped working again... I don't know what it's doing. I'll just link to Gog.com instead.

[quote name='opportunity777']Apparently, the author's version has DRM for anyone that cares. Also, from reading the forums, it seems the extras are not included at all.[/QUOTE]

Then apparently it's better to buy the GOG version!

I could be wrong but I thought I remember they were giving the game away for free at one point. Not that it isn't a great game, I still have my original 3do version, but I still wouldn't pay $10 for it and a bunch of silly "extras".

I remember this back in the day on the Genesis :whistle2:D

Man, polygon graphics... There were actually some other polygonal Genesis games too.

[quote name='LuisRM']Cool thanks![/QUOTE]

Umm ... I checked the link on their page and I'm getting a 404 error, so don't thank me yet. :lol: Here's the link from GamersHell

http://www.gamershell.com/download_8016.shtml

... crap that version needs an activation code. There's a free version, the one that was originally linked to on their site. Google onEscapee_Free_Setup and you'll find it uploaded a few links down.

Just chiming in to say that I've always had a soft spot for this game! I got it on my birthday a long time ago, for my family's Amiga 500 computer. It was great playing the updated version not just for the visuals, but for the extra PC levels that I had never seen before. Not sure if they were on the 3DO, but I know they were missing from the Commodore version!

[quote name='J7.']Wow can't believe I've never seen this before. What operating systems will it work on?[/QUOTE]

It runs fine on WinXP and in Wine (ubuntu).

[quote name='blakhawkjohn']I hope we get "Flashback" too![/QUOTE]
I second that. Out of this World is good and could be worth $10, but I absolutley loved Flashback. It was the first game that I remembered where the sound of a gun actually sounded like it could be real.

bread's done
Back