Overheating issues(?), help me out?

Rouzhokuu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
To make a long story short, I have been having FPS problems in World of Warcaft. I'll get a certain amount of time of great FPS, and then a certain amount of time of bad FPS, over and over in a cycle. I couldn't figure out what it was.

Until I downloaded SpeedFan, and set it up to chart the temps of my GPU while I'm playing WoW. After awhile, I would tab out to check it, and I noticed that the temp of the GPU was spiking and lowering, over and over again, just like my FPS problems in WoW. I think it's a safe guess to say that they are related.

The thing is, according to SpeedFan, EVERYTHING in my PC is overheating. Just after tabbing out WoW, it says that the temperature of my GPU is going up to 290F, and back down to 270F, and back up to 290F, and back down to 270F, over and over again.

It also says that my Core temp is 270F, and my Ambient temp is 190. Also, my "HD" temp is around 100.

Honestly, if those temp readings are accurate, I'm surprised my PC hasn't burst into flames yet. I've opened it up and used compressed air to get all of the dust out, make sure all the vents are clear, the fans are clean, and there is no build up of dust anywhere in the PC or on the GPU.

The main fan on the back of my PC is working, as it's always blowing out warm air, but I don't know if the fan on my GPU is working.

I don't know what I need to do to fix this problem, short of taking it to a repairperson, and even then not being guaranteed that it would even be fixed.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue, or am I pretty much screwed?

Thanks!

Is it a prebuilt, or one you built yourself? I've seen a lot of prebuilts from places like Dell where the temp sensors don't report out properly and show temps like that.

Yeah, it's a pre-built, and maybe 5'ish years old.

What I'm also wondering is, if you have faulty temperature sensors, can it cause frame-rate problems like these, even if you're not really over-heating? Like the GPU.. I dunno, slowing down because it thinks it's overheating?

Open it up, take it outside and shoot it with canned air.

I imagine that thing is dusty as hell if you have had it for five years and never cleaned it out.

[quote name='Sporadic']Open it up, take it outside and shoot it with canned air.

I imagine that thing is dusty as hell if you have had it for five years and never cleaned it out.[/QUOTE]

I just did that a couple weeks ago, and yes, it was caked with dust, all the vents were clogged, and it was running LOUD.

Since I air-canned and vacuumed it, it runs very quiet now, and has great airflow inside.

There are a couple of things you can do
Run one or two other temperature-reading software to make sure you're getting accurate readings. (CPU-Z, RealTemp)
I assume so far you've cleaned out the dust and adjusted your fans to max.

Make sure your power supply's fan is adjusted too as it also carries air out and remember to close your case properly for efficient airflow. Some people think leaving the side panel open would cool their PC better and this is wrong. Your case is designed for airflow, leaving gaps is just making it less efficient.

If your case has openings for extra case fans, you might want to think aboot installing some.
If your case does not have places for extra fans, there are PCI-slot fans and hard-drive fans you can install.

If your CPU is overheating, make sure the CPU fan is adjusted and working properly. If it is and is still acting up, think aboot either replacing the CPU fan or reapplying the thermal compound. (If you're going to replace the CPU fan, you're going to need the thermal compound anyway)
When applying the compound remember to clean off the existing compound (Q-tip w/ rubbing alcohol) and only apply an even and THIN layer. More is not better. Be careful while doing this, don't get any of the stuff where it shouldn't be.

As always, make sure you're grounded before you're doing any work on your PC. ESD is always lurking.

[quote name='Blazncheetah']There are a couple of things you can do
Run one or two other temperature-reading software to make sure you're getting accurate readings. (CPU-Z, RealTemp)
I assume so far you've cleaned out the dust and adjusted your fans to max.

Make sure your power supply's fan is adjusted too as it also carries air out and remember to close your case properly for efficient airflow. Some people think leaving the side panel open would cool their PC better and this is wrong. Your case is designed for airflow, leaving gaps is just making it less efficient.

If your case has openings for extra case fans, you might want to think aboot installing some.
If your case does not have places for extra fans, there are PCI-slot fans and hard-drive fans you can install.

If your CPU is overheating, make sure the CPU fan is adjusted and working properly. If it is and is still acting up, think aboot either replacing the CPU fan or reapplying the thermal compound. (If you're going to replace the CPU fan, you're going to need the thermal compound anyway)
When applying the compound remember to clean off the existing compound (Q-tip w/ rubbing alcohol) and only apply an even and THIN layer. More is not better. Be careful while doing this, don't get any of the stuff where it shouldn't be.

As always, make sure you're grounded before you're doing any work on your PC. ESD is always lurking.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's all cleaned out.

I've run SpeedFan and HWMonitor, and both are confirming these temp readings. Like I said, when I'm in WoW, I'm getting readings of 270F-290F for the GPU, 270F for Core, and 190F for Ambient. The only thing not that hot is the HD, which is around 100F.

Seems like everything inside there is overheating except the HD. And as I mentioned, I've tried both SpeedFan and HWMonitor, and neither one will detect any of my fans, so I'm assuming that they're not set up to allow me to mess with them, I guess. HWMonitor will allow me to change my fan speed, but it does nothing when I do it, so I assume it doesn't work.

I also looked in my BIOS, and there are no fan settings there, either.

So it seems that there's nothing I can do about this, software side, and it's going to take some hardware tinkering to fix this, which I'm really not comfortable/knowledgeable enough doing.

That is, if it's accurate readings and the sensors just aren't faulty.

Leave the side panel off and point a house/desk fan right at it while you're playing, see if that helps the temps at all.

Are the fans on your GPU/CPU even working? That'd be the first thing I'd check. Maybe you unlodged some wires when you cleaned it out?

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Leave the side panel off and point a house/desk fan right at it while you're playing, see if that helps the temps at all.

Are the fans on your GPU/CPU even working? That'd be the first thing I'd check. Maybe you unlodged some wires when you cleaned it out?[/QUOTE]

The only fan that I can confirm as working is the one at the back that's blowing warm air out. I'll crack it open tomorrow and make sure all my connections and whatnot are secure, I hadn't thought of that.

I'm not sure how to confirm if the GPU fan or CPU fan is working. My case opens in a strange way, kind of... clamshellish, and I don't know if I can run it with the case open, but I'll give it a shot.

Yep, cracked it open today and ran WoW. The GPU fan did not move, and the card was hot enough to burn my finger, so.. I'm going to assume that's where my FPS problems are coming from.

Now my problem is finding a decent PCI-E video card for $20-30 that's not any worse or maybe a little better than my 6800. =/

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']Yep, cracked it open today and ran WoW. The GPU fan did not move, and the card was hot enough to burn my finger, so.. I'm going to assume that's where my FPS problems are coming from.

Now my problem is finding a decent PCI-E video card for $20-30 that's not any worse or maybe a little better than my 6800. =/[/QUOTE]

At this point, you may just be better off saving the hard drive out of your current build and putting together a new computer (if you have the money)

[quote name='Sporadic']At this point, you may just be better off saving the hard drive out of your current build and putting together a new computer (if you have the money)[/QUOTE]

I really don't want to spend the money right now, to be honest.

I was just hoping to find a decent video card that could get me through until I decide that I 'do' want to buy/build a new one.

I really only play WoW and Indie games right now, and I can't justify the (albeit meager) cost of a new PC. =/

with the temps your telling, ill assume your gpu and cpu fans both quit due to too much dust for too long. clean it every 3 -6 months. i do mine every 2 months because of its size and its got 9+ fans and filters get clogged pretty fast. the cheapest way is to replace the fans. buy a cpu stock or a/m heatsink/fan for 5-10 dollars, and buy a gpu cooler for your 6800 for 10-25 bucks from ebay or a company like frozenpc. i have a cpu heatsink/fan more than likely, if you pay shipping. ill need to know what cpu and case you have. or just the cpu/socket. all of these should work and they are priced 15-25.00. just read the feedbacks to make sure they will work from others that have used them first. easy to install. i cany do links, so go to newegg and enter vga cooling and then on the side bar, choose the price range.

[quote name='Rouzhokuu']Yep, cracked it open today and ran WoW. The GPU fan did not move, and the card was hot enough to burn my finger, so.. I'm going to assume that's where my FPS problems are coming from.

Now my problem is finding a decent PCI-E video card for $20-30 that's not any worse or maybe a little better than my 6800. =/[/QUOTE]

If you're being forced to upgrade, look at it as a sign to go for the gusto. An extra 20-30 on top of what you want to throw down will make a world of difference.

My 2 cents, the 4670 has treated me well and is only $60 AMIR.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161315&cm_re=4670-_-14-161-315-_-Product

Hey just go to your local STAPLES, Office Depot, etc. and buy a case fan and then open up your P.C. and just super glue the bitch on an unused vent and then plug it into your motherboard. You should be good to go :D

CAUTION : Make sure you have an extra fan port that is unused on your motherboard before doing this.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']Hey just go to your local STAPLES, Office Depot, etc. and buy a case fan and then open up your P.C. and just super glue the bitch on an unused vent and then plug it into your motherboard. You should be good to go :D

CAUTION : Make sure you have an extra fan port that is unused on your motherboard before doing this.[/QUOTE]

There are holes for screws by unused vents.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']
My 2 cents, the 4670 has treated me well and is only $60 AMIR.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161315&cm_re=4670-_-14-161-315-_-Product[/QUOTE]

+1

I have that same 4670 in my HTPC and it does the job very well. It's quiet, runs cool, doesn't need a cable from the PSU (always a plus in a cramped case), and should be plenty powerful for WoW. Just be sure that your case has the room for a dual slot GPU. For $60 after rebate it'll be a good enough replacement/upgrade until you're ready for a new computer.

I'd also recommend installing another exhaust fan on the back of the case since you have the room and be sure to clean out the case a couple of times a year.

290F is 140C. Your PC would be melting down. 270F is 132C... FAR beyond TJMax on any intel CPU. Your CPU would go into thermal shutdown (which is on by default)

So what Im saying is SpeedFan isnt reading the motherboard sensors right. Download a different utility. Try CoreTemp. Try NVMonitor.

Parts *cant be* as hot as you're saying. They wont run at those temps. Only the HD temp is right... which tells you something. That the HD temp sensor is being read right. The HD temp sensors are very well defined and easy to read. Mobo/CPU sensor require specific chipset and CPU support and GPU sensor requires specific GPU support.

You need first to make sure you are getting *real* and not impossible temps.

bread's done
Back