Overlooked games, cheap gaming and the backlog challange

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
83 (100%)
Over the last 5-10 years I have cut my spending on gaming dramatically. At first it was just small steps like not buying so many new games. This became adapting to only buying games at $30 or less,then $20 or less. Recently I find myself at the point that I generally spend $5-$15 per game with only games that become rare and look awesome or the occasional collectors edition breaking that rule. Now I am ready to hit a whole new level of cheap ass and I plan on skipping next generation(including Vita/3DS) until the prices come down 50-75%. This also includes my PC which is 6 years old and I HAD planned on scraping for a top end system. I will not instead wait for this one to die then get a mid end system for half the price ;(

I want to use this topic for two purposes. First and foremost to have you guys help me make a massive catalog of good games. I will update the 2nd post in this topic with suggestions that everyone tosses out. I want to create a massive list of titles we as gamers feel people have overlooked all the way from the first systems like the Odyssey/Atarari/NES to modern gaming. This list will help me and others find stuff we may have overlooked and can go back and enjoy on the cheap(generally at least!). Second purpose is just to give me(and hopefully others) a kick in the ass and motivation to keep playing those gems and save ourselves some cash! A support group if you will ;)

One final note. I have posted this in 3 or 4 different forums I vacate. I will update the second post listing the games in each topic to reflect what is stated in the others. Hopefully this helps it be comprehensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
2nd post for editing

Dreamcast
-------------------------------------------------
Grandia 2
Ooga booga
Power Stone
Toy Commander

DS
--------------------------------------------------
Big Bang Mini
Children of Mana
Contact
Custom Robo Arena
Diner Dash
Etrian Odyssey
Etrian Odyssey 2
Etrian Odyssey 3
Geometry Wars: Galaxies
Henry Hatsworth
Hotel Dusk
Izuna
Izuna 2
Kirby Canvas Curse
Kirby Squeek Squad
Locks Quest
Luminous Arc
Luminous Arc 2
Luminous Arc 3
Meteos
Monster House
Monster Tale
Mr Driller
Ninja Town
Puchi Puch Virus
Puzzle Quest
Puzzle Quest Galatrix
Retro Game Challenge
Robocalypse
Rondo Of Swords
Scurge: Hive
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
Sonic Rush
Sonic Adventure
Soul Bubbles
Space Invaders Revolution
Suikoden Tierkies
Touch Detective
Touch Detective 2
Trauma Center Under the Knife
Trauma Center Under the Knife 2
Wario Ware D.I.Y
Wario Ware Touched

Genesis
Sword of Vermillion

N64
------------------------------------------------
Mischief Makers
Space Station Silicon Valley

NES
--------------------------------------------------
DynoWarz
Little Nemo Dream Master
Milons Secret Castle
Super Bomb Jack

Saturn
------------------------------------------------
Dragon Force

Super Nintendo
Congos Caper
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire 2
Joe and Mac
Robotrek
Secret of Evermore
Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Last edited by a moderator:
So you want to compile a huge list of overlooked games for every system? Seems pretty daunting. Anyways, I'll throw in a vote for Cubivore on Gamecube...one of my favorite games ever.

BTW, do you have a backloggery account? That could really help you clear your backlog.

This is kind of a neat idea, for now I'll throw in Spawn: In the Demon's Hand for the Dreamcast, I probably spent more time on that playing coop with my friends then any other Dreamcast game that I owned.

Thanks op ! It will be very interesting to see what games are mentioned. Rolling Thunder for NES although not obscure was a title that I loved playing when I was younger. Those younger players out there should give it a try.

I'm not sure why Dragon Force is on your list. It's expensive and not really overlooked, just rare. Doesn't seem to fit your criteria. Speaking of which I'm a bit confused about what you're looking for. Do you want more old school stuff or current gen, or both? I'd like to contribute but before I start posting games I'd like a better idea of what you're looking for. Also the cheaper the better, right? I can think of a ton of dirt cheap current gen stuff that are great games.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Over the last 5-10 years I have cut my spending on gaming dramatically. At first it was just small steps like not buying so many new games. This became adapting to only buying games at $30 or less,then $20 or less. Recently I find myself at the point that I generally spend $5-$15 per game with only games that become rare and look awesome or the occasional collectors edition breaking that rule. Now I am ready to hit a whole new level of cheap ass and I plan on skipping next generation(including Vita/3DS) until the prices come down 50-75%. This also includes my PC which is 6 years old and I HAD planned on scraping for a top end system. I will not instead wait for this one to die then get a mid end system for half the price[/QUOTE]

This is where I'm at, I've hit my plateau of cheapness. I usually wait for games to come down to 20 bucks, 30 if I really want to play it.

Congrats and welcome to the club.

Billy Hatcher And The Giant Egg for GameCube. I honestly loved this game years ago, definitely underrated and overlooked. Give it a shot :D

If you like SRPGs:

LOTR: The Third Age - GBA
Warsong - Sega Genesis
Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday - Sega Genesis

A lot of SRPG goodness in these 3 titles.

bread's done
Back