Overstock.com FC Super Loader Game Console US Version (NES) for $29 + $3 shipping

dbz4ever

CAGiversary!
For those who wants to play NES games but don't have the console:

http://www.overstock.com/Books-Movies-Music-Games/FC-Super-Loader-Game-Console-US-Version/2449217/product.html?IID=prod2449217

Use the following coupons to save more if applicable:
Save 8% Off ENTIRE order (New Customers) (Ends 06/30)
Save 7% off ENTIRE order (All Customers) (Ends 06/30)
Save $15 off orders of $150 or more (Ends 06/15)
Save $45 off ENTIRE ORDER of $400 or more (Ends 06/30)
Get free shipping for orders over $50 (New Customers) (Ends 12/31)

Had to get one. My original NES is FUBed, and this will fit nicely next to all of my other systems. Got to find my Kung Fu cart now. Thanks, OP!

[quote name='bmarquardt']any reviews on this?[/quote]

I haven't seen any other than the one on the website.

[quote name='Heavy Hitter']Had to get one. My original NES is FUBed, and this will fit nicely next to all of my other systems. Got to find my Kung Fu cart now. Thanks, OP![/quote]

You're welcome ^_^ I woke up this morning and decided to check out Overstock.com for daily deals and I saw this, figure some of old school gamers would love to add this to collection.

My friend has one of those. It worked just like a regular NES but the controllers are TERRIBLE. Making diagonal movements on the D-pad is worse than the DS Lite and PSP. Thankfully you can use regular NES controllers on the system. The system is also uber tiny. It is pretty much only slightly wider than an NES cartridge and not much longer either.

[quote name='expane']drat I thought this was the NES/SNES player, its NES only :([/quote]

Ya...sorry dude, it's for NES only, I still have my SNE somewhere in the garage covered with dust probably, lol God knows if it works.

These are cheaper on eBay. I have one and they work great. Just having an rca connection is worth it alone. 95% compatibility rate. The most notable game that doesn't run on the nes chip is Castlevania III.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']With Generation NEX you are paying a premium soley for the looks. All clones run on the same NOAC.[/quote]
Generation NEX also plays Famicom games, 2 cartridge slots. And 2.4 GHz wireless support. Dual mono sound. Better controller. I'd say that's more than just looks.

[quote name='J7.']Generation NEX also plays Famicom games, 2 cartridge slots. And 2.4 GHz wireless support. Dual mono sound. Better controller. I'd say that's more than just looks.[/quote]

Any NOAC will play famicom games with the right adapter (which can be found inside copies of Gyromite for free-- Go CAGs!). Also, the bundled-in Generation NEX controller sucks, but the wireless ones are good. The wireless ones also come with adapters which would make them usable on any NES clone with standard NES ports. Lastly, most TVs will output a mono signal as dual mono.

Generation NEX is a cool piece of hardware, but it is overpriced and far less capable than Messiah promised us it would be.

[quote name='J7.']Generation NEX also plays Famicom games, 2 cartridge slots. And 2.4 GHz wireless support. Dual mono sound. Better controller. I'd say that's more than just looks.[/quote]
Right, I forgot about the famicom games. I left out the controllers because they dont come included in the $60 package, and a pack of two wireless controllers cost $50 or so.

EDIT: An FC Twin can be had for around $50-55 on ebay, haven't checked other places.

I own one of these, the kind made under the "Yobo" name. I paid $40 and I love it. I've played a Generation NEX too, and yes, it's totally slick, but whether or not the extra features justify the price tag is up to you. At a fundamental level, this machine is functionally identical to a NEX or any other Famicom clone, which, in a nutshell, means: You can't play Castlevania III. Which I actually purchased with my Yobo, not knowing it was incompatible.

Once I got past that letdown, I was delighted with this machine. RCA output looks great; I did a side-by-side comparison with my favorite NES emu for Dreamcast, and I was really surprised at how much sharper the Famiclone's video output was.

One small hitch is that, while the controller ports on this "U.S." -version machine are the same as the original NES, they're oriented at 90 degrees. So while most controllers and accessories should theorectically work fine, a Four Score or Satellite won't fit, as they feature two controller plugs incased in a unified plastic housing. I tried to crack open the housing on a used Four Score that I bought at EB, and either I damaged the unit in the process, or else it never worked in the first place, but it wouldn't work. Maybe some else has had better luck than me getting a 4-player adaptor to work.

I love the controllers that came with mine, they have that NES-2 "wishbone" feel. The controllers shown in the pictures on the Overstock product page don't look the same.

I recently saw an FC Twin in a store for $70, and though I thought it was cool, I already have two SNES'es (one original, one SNES-2) that work great, and really, the whole point of a Famiclone is to have a more reliable, top-loading replacement for your old "toaster" -style NES.

So there're my thoughts. If you can live without the extra features of a Gen NEX or a FC Twin, and more than anything, can live without Castlevania III ('cause, really, isn't it all about the games?) then I'd call this $30 well spent.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']These are cheaper on eBay. I have one and they work great. Just having an rca connection is worth it alone. 95% compatibility rate. The most notable game that doesn't run on the nes chip is Castlevania III.[/QUOTE]

Why doesn't Castlevania III work on it?

The original NES does have RCA outputs. One video and one audio. If you want the audio to go to both of your TV speakers you can get an adapter that turns the single input into two.

[quote name='Collectordragon']Why doesn't Castlevania III work on it?

The original NES does have RCA outputs. One video and one audio. If you want the audio to go to both of your TV speakers you can get an adapter that turns the single input into two.[/quote]

Since Nintendo's patent on the original NES technology expired, tons of small Asian electronics manufacturers have been using the so-called "NES-on-a-chip," a consolidation of all the NES's circuitry onto a single, cheaply made processor. These things are used in all the NES knock-offs, many of the branded plug n' play games, the generic "20-in-1" game devices, etc.

If I'm not mistaken (and a quick Google search might do a better job explaining than me), the chip is reverse-engineered from the NES's innards. So while it's a pretty good approximation, it's just not perfect. Castlevania III was one of the more technologically sophisticated games released for the NES (it used the MMC5 memory chip, I think), so it's just a quirk of the reverse-engineering that Castlevania III simply doesn't boot on it.

You're right about the RCA ports on the original NES, of course. It's finding one that still works is the problem :) If you're tech-savvy enough to replace the cartridge connector on an original NES, you're in business.

I still like my "Famiclone," tho. It's convenient, stylish, works well and leaves a small footprint.

bread's done
Back