Owners of original Starcraft get Brood War Expansion FREE (PC/Mac)

morphineseason

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Perhaps this is too little too late for such an old game, but since Starcraft 2 is in the works, this might be a good deal for anyone like me who bought the original Starcraft ages ago but didn't bother buying the expansion or battle chest. This is also an easy way to get the whole anthology on the cheap if you can find a regular Starcraft disc in a bargain bin somewhere (with a CD key of course).

All you need to do is:

1. Go to http://www.blizzard.com/us/registration.html?rhtml=y
2. Create an account and confirm your e-mail address
3. Click "Add a Game"
4. Type in your regular, standalone, Starcraft CD Key
5. You've unlocked "Starcraft Anthology"

You can then download the game onto as many computers as you want from this website, similar to Steam. When you install the game, you'll still be prompted for a CD key - make sure you enter the CD key listed on your Blizzard Account page because it does differ from your original key.

The Blizzard Downloader downloads the install files for both the PC and Mac versions.

Also, I should thank fellow CAG user, Serik, for pointing out this new Blizzard Downloading service to me. I wouldn't have discovered this hidden deal, and now I don't have to worry about swapping out 5 different discs for those Diablo 2 installs ;)

Edit: Forgot to mention, if you want faster download speeds from Blizzard's Downloader, click View - Preferences... - and then uncheck "Enable Peer-To-Peer Transfer". My download speed more than tripled when I did this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had my keys registered for quite some time, but it always doesn't work when I try and download the games to play them on my computer. I've been dying to play SC and DII as well.

Hey, Any cool things if I add warcraft 3? Like do we get that expansion pack for it free too? Also on the starcraft and WC3 downloads...would I still need the disc? I own them both, just easier with no disc as we all know.

Hey, It's asking me for a longer key than the one I..........j/k.

Actually, this may sound completely OCD, but I registered LOD>WC3>D2 and I hate the fact that makes them show up out of logical order on the page.

Yes, I should just let it go.:bomb:

Damn, I literally stumbled across my StarCraft disc just a couple of days ago but I have no idea what or where the cd key is. Oh well.

At this point they should probably just give away Diablo 1, Warcraft 1, and Warcraft 2 with expansion. I mean hell, the only way you get D1 is from a battlechest, and you don't even get WC1 or 2 from the Warcraft battlechest. Or better yet, have them become available on their downloading service if you register Diablo 2 for D1 and Warcraft 3 for WC1 and 2. It's understandable they don't let you register them at the moment since they don't have CD keys, but you'd think they could throw them up for download at least.

Though I guess one reason they might not is because Diablo 2, WC3 and SC work mostly fine on modern machines, whereas D1 WC1 and WC2 would be crankier. Might not want to spend some of their billions from WoW on having an intern dosbox-ize them like old games on Steam.

[quote name='SqueeMK2']Though I guess one reason they might not is because Diablo 2, WC3 and SC work mostly fine on modern machines, whereas D1 WC1 and WC2 would be crankier. Might not want to spend some of their billions from WoW on having an intern dosbox-ize them like old games on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that would definitely take one or two of their billions.

Thanks OP. I have a ton of starcraft games, I must have bought it 2 or 3 times and my brother the same, but can never find the damn brood war disks or cd-keys.

Maybe some day they'll give away the Warcraft 3 expansion. I bought the collector's edition at launch, but STILL haven't gotten to it :D (And I do expect to love it if it's anything like Starcraft.)

[quote name='cheapo72']Hey, It's asking me for a longer key than the one I..........j/k.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

This thread got me thinking about WCI/II the other day. And that got me thinking about AoE. So I finally got around to installing AoEI/II that I bought a couple of weeks ago. Those are so fun. Now where is my Warcraft? :(

Dug out my old Warcraft 2 CD from the DOS/pre-Battlenet days and surprised to find no CD key as none were needed back in those days. Was hoping to register it here so I can get a more current version of the software. Oh well.

[quote name='consoleman']Dug out my old Warcraft 2 CD from the DOS/pre-Battlenet days and surprised to find no CD key as none were needed back in those days. Was hoping to register it here so I can get a more current version of the software. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

I found the same thing out last night actually, the good ole ms-dos days :cool:

Lol back in the day I remember having a 17" CRT (16 viewable of course) meant you were hot stuff, mostly because a buddy of mine had one and I still had a 15"

A good 17" CRT was AWESOME 15 years ago. I then went to a 20" CRT I think it was, which was ridiculously cool.

Good screens, but I like how there are no geometry adjustments on LCDs!

Unfortunately so many LCDs now are TN panels, and they never, ever bother labeling what type of screen technology they use. This list worthless, make believe specs, but not the stuff that actually matters, like panel type, input lag, etc.

[quote name='consoleman']Dug out my old Warcraft 2 CD from the DOS/pre-Battlenet days and surprised to find no CD key as none were needed back in those days. Was hoping to register it here so I can get a more current version of the software. Oh well.[/quote]

Really? I'm pretty sure my WC2 Battle.net Edition asks for a CD Key. I remember because I got it used at EB a few years back, and I ended up having to look up a serial # online.

Hey, don't know if anyone else had the same problem, I did, but just in case, here you go.

I have my original Starcraft CD case somewhere, I think in a storage unit about 5 or 10 minutes away. But I didn't feel like driving over there and rummaging for it, so after some digging, I was able to find a utility that will decode and display your CD key for you when you run Starcraft. Pretty handy, and it took me some digging to find, so in case anyone else is scrambling, here you go. Note that this is NOT a generator- for this to work you must have a valid CD key already. Oh and one note- make sure you update to version 1.161, the current version, before trying this. Leave the version marked as 1.16.0, it still works fine.

Now I'm off to download Brood Wars!

[quote name='Vegan']Really? I'm pretty sure my WC2 Battle.net Edition asks for a CD Key. I remember because I got it used at EB a few years back, and I ended up having to look up a serial # online.[/quote]

WC2 BNE does have a CD key. It was released well after the original. The original did not have a CD key, just a CD check. There was also no Battle.net to access. You had to find your own opponents.

[quote name='Vegan']Really? I'm pretty sure my WC2 Battle.net Edition asks for a CD Key. I remember because I got it used at EB a few years back, and I ended up having to look up a serial # online.[/QUOTE]

The Battle.net edition does, it came out after starcraft and diablo (which both have them). The original ms-dos version does not have one.

bread's done
Back