OXM demo impressions (Pariah & Psychonauts & Darkwatch)

psychobrawler

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I got around to trying out Psychonauts and Pariah from the new OXM demo disc last night. There's also a demo for Darkwatch, but it froze on the Renderware logo every time I tried to load it. But for anyone interested, here's my take on the said 2 demos....

I've been a little curious about Psychonauts for some time now, though I'm not a huge fan of platformer games. I threw the demo on just for a taste, and I sat hooked to the tv for 40 minutes or so. The game is like Mario 64 on acid. The art work is completely awesome. If you're a fan of Tim Burton's stuff like Beetlejuice or Nightmare Before Christmas, you'll love just looking at this game. The music even seems fit for a Burton movie. The gameplay itself is typical platformer stuff, but it's very well done. Smooth framerate, cool animations, and very funny humor. Everything seemed clever and well thought out. The best part is how original it feels. There's no other game quite like it out there. And there certainly hasn't been a platform game since Mario 64 that has hooked me so quickly. Can't say I'd pay $50 for it (there are few games I will), but I will definately be looking for a great cheap ass deal to come around for this one.

Pariah has nice graphics, smooth animation, and feels like every other FPS that's worth a damn. Not to say it won't be good, but it's not the best demo. There's only a couple of weapons to sample - the bulldog and a grenade launcher. The weapons handle and feel great with cool sound effects. The upgrading of weapons could be quite cool in the finished game, but there just wasn't much to work with here. The worse part of the demo is that it's locked into "easy" mode. So while the AI showed some intelligence in the way they behaved, it was hard to test them in battle. One thing that was nice to see was some major environmental descruction when you start spraying the souped up Bulldog at hiding enemies. Some of their cover just gets ripped to shreds. Very cool. Basically this was a 10 minute demo that didn't really give much of a demo. It neither sold me on the game or turned me off from it. I'm pretty much in the same place I was before playing it: waiting for some reviews and wondering how it will be.

Darkwatch is a game I've been eyeing for a while, but haven't had much hope that Sammy Studios would really succeed. If the demo is any indication though, this game is going to be a blast. The weapons are damn cool (the crossbow may be a new favorite for me). The sniper rifle is the coolest this side of Halo, and the gameplay is fast and fun. Very run and gun, but nice added touches like the ability to lean to slow you down a hair in tight quarters. Graphics are good, but certainly not going to wow fans of Chaos Theory or Doom 3. Part of the demo consists of riding horseback and chasing down a train while blasting demons off of said locamotive. Very cool. All in all this demo has restored my hopes that a FPS may still surface and offer a slightly new (though not revolutionary) experience on Xbox. Multiplayer will definately have some potential. I'll probably be looking for this one when it releases in July.

To play the Darkwatch Demo you have to reset your Xbox clock to March 1st apparently. This is one of the better demos disks OXM has had- all these games are pretty awesome and Psychonauts is chief among them.

Psychonauts Demo = awesome - must buy
Darkwatch Demo = awesome - must buy
Pariah Demo = awesome - must buy

:)

[quote name='Jonny Polychronopoulos']To play the Darkwatch Demo you have to reset your Xbox clock to March 1st apparently. This is one of the better demos disks OXM has had- all these games are pretty awesome and Psychonauts is chief among them.[/QUOTE]
Lol that's really weird.

[quote name='help1']is that the one with doom 3? Is it online? Is it any good?[/QUOTE]
It had good graphics but to tell you the truth, it felt like a maze, sometimes I got lost and didn't know where to go. Love the atmosphere and everything, but it's not that good in gameplay. Yeah the demo is online by the way.

[quote name='xboxowns']It had good graphics but to tell you the truth, it felt like a maze, sometimes I got lost and didn't know where to go. [/QUOTE]
Ditto. I got lost once, and after looking for the right way to go for 10 minutes I gave up and played a different demo. Maybe I'll try it again sometime.

[quote name='JoMasta']Psychonauts Demo = awesome - must buy
Darkwatch Demo = awesome - must buy
Pariah Demo = awesome - must buy

:)[/QUOTE]

I'd agree on the first two but Pariah seems like a very basic shooter to me.....

Like I said, Pariah just didn't have enough meat to the demo to get a taste of it. If the whole game is like this, it'll be a pass for me.

And the Darkwatch demo tip didn't work for me either... That game, btw, seem to have been delayed until July or so...

Psychonauts looks like an N64 game IMO (perhaps that's why it looked like Mario 64 on acid...) The graphics are not up to snuff for the current gen. I'll still pick it up when it goes cheap as it seemed fun. But you gotta have the whole package to make it. Of course crap graphics may drop it cheaper all the faster, so maybe that isn't such a bad point after all.

I loved the Doom 3 demo. Can't wait to get that one cheap some day :) The mechanic of only being able to use the light or a gun definitely makes for some tense spots and I'm sure the full game makes great use of that.

[quote name='wubb']Psychonauts looks like an N64 game IMO (perhaps that's why it looked like Mario 64 on acid...) The graphics are not up to snuff for the current gen. I'll still pick it up when it goes cheap as it seemed fun. But you gotta have the whole package to make it. Of course crap graphics may drop it cheaper all the faster, so maybe that isn't such a bad point after all.

I loved the Doom 3 demo. Can't wait to get that one cheap some day :) The mechanic of only being able to use the light or a gun definitely makes for some tense spots and I'm sure the full game makes great use of that.[/QUOTE]

I've been playing through it, wubb, and there's more than one part where you're in a large area, without any light, save what you have in your flashlight, and one small mobile light source. Next thing you know, something's trying to get you. :shock: Damn effective mood gaming, that's for sure.

I was really impressed with the Psychonauts demo. The whole presentation seemed really polished and well-done. I'm guessing that's a benefit of its extended development period. The writing is top-notch too.

Did anyone stick around to play that mini-game where you take out the bad guys that pop up and leave the babies? I played it over and over until I couldn't play it anymore. I think the last challenge was 45 points in 60 seconds. Really addictive stuff. I hope the full game has much more of these.

[quote name='wubb']Psychonauts looks like an N64 game IMO (perhaps that's why it looked like Mario 64 on acid...) The graphics are not up to snuff for the current gen. I'll still pick it up when it goes cheap as it seemed fun. But you gotta have the whole package to make it. Of course crap graphics may drop it cheaper all the faster, so maybe that isn't such a bad point after all.

[/QUOTE]

Are you sure you're playing the right game?

From GameSpot:

"Psychonauts' greatest achievement, perhaps unsurprisingly, is in the realm of its presentation. Graphically, this is one of the nicest-looking platformers on the Xbox or PC. The whole game has a remarkably polished look to it. The characters animate smoothly, the textures and set pieces all look excellent"

I finally played Pariah demo and I thought it was pretty good. Graphics seemed really nice....nice big environments, decent gameplay. The controls were good, could use a little refinement. There also seemed to be a frame-rate or lag issue at the very beginning of the demo....but, it's only a demo. Definetely Halo-ish. I have it on Pre-Order, so I'l keep it now.

Psychonauts seemed cool also, I let my fiance play it and she loved it. So, I may have to get that for her...eventually.

Did not try Psychonauts (crashes on my PC), but Pariah.. eh.. let me say this. People who played UT2004 will not be impressed and say Pariah is very "meh". Everything in Pariah has been done before. However, people who have not played UT2004 will think it's awesome. On PC, it'll be mediocre at best, but on XBox Live, it'll shine.

[quote name='Scorch']Did not try Psychonauts (crashes on my PC), but Pariah.. eh.. let me say this. People who played UT2004 will not be impressed and say Pariah is very "meh". Everything in Pariah has been done before. However, people who have not played UT2004 will think it's awesome. On PC, it'll be mediocre at best, but on XBox Live, it'll shine.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I think this will be fun on LIVE. I think it's different from UNREAL games. Unreal always seems TOO fast....just a big cluster-fuck. This game seemed pretty smooth....just with the top left trigger did something different....like grenades or something like Halo.

I finally played Darkwatch also last night, pretty fun demo. I also went back and put some more time into Pariah....I couldn't open up the gate though....how do you do that? It appears that there is a button to push, but you cannot push it....I know I'm missing something

I wasn't too impressed with Pariah, seemed very mediocre to me, so I'll probably wait for reviews or a used copy and get Area 51 instead (better demo IMO).

bread's done
Back