Panzer Dragoon creator gives his 2 cents on the game industry today

looploop

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3162620

Yukio Futatsugi Speaks

The father of Panzer Dragoon and Phantom Dust returns to development.
By James Mielke, 09/07/2007

The name Yukio Futatsugi might not be as commonly known as the Itagakis or Suzukis or Sakaguchis of the gaming world, but his contributions are no less significant. As a core member of the former-Team Andromeda, he stood at the helm of the entire, original Panzer Dragoon series (Panzer Dragoon, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Panzer Dragoon Saga), and after leaving Sega made his mark with the critically-acclaimed Phantom Dust. For the last few years, Futatsugi has held the role of Design Manager at Microsoft Game Studios Japan, overseeing the development of games like Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and 99 Nights. But his recent stay at Microsoft has kept him out of the actual development process, a process he dearly misses, and by the time you read this interview, he will have left Microsoft Game Studios entirely to dive back into the world of game development.
That's good news for gamers. But before Futatsugi left MSG, we took him out for drinks and yakiniku to discuss his plans for the future, his time at Microsoft, why he's leaving Microsoft, modern gaming trends, and so much more. This is but the first in a series of interviews with Futatsugi, that will continue next week, when we re-convene with the man behind Panzer Dragoon and Phantom Dust. But for the time being, let's listen to what he's got to say about gaming now.

1UP: How do you feel about the Japanese game market today? The sales don't seem to reward the effort and innovation that goes into these games. It must be discouraging as a game designer, when people only want to buy sequels or play around on their cell phones.
Yukio Futatsugi: These days the kind of games that are selling well are things like Brain Training [Brain Age] and simple games -- not the action titles -- it's a little bit of a pity that those kinds of games are what's selling. I didn't join the game industry to develop those kinds of games. I'm here to make real games, but from a business standpoint, these are the titles that are making money, so I understand that. However, with games like Monster Hunter, which sold over a million in Japan, so there are still hardcore games like that, so it's not like there aren't any game users out there. There are still kids in elementary and high school who are into games, but it comes down to the concept that game developers make, and the kind of games that users are wanting have to match. With titles like Monster Hunter, everything matched, so because of that I still have faith in the market.
The way I view the market is that these days is that game players are more into portable machines than consoles. But from research we've done, we found that people aren't using their portable machines on the go. The time they spend using these portable machines the most is when they're at home. Back in the days we played games in front of the TV, we would commit to the game for hours and we'd play, but these days kids have a lot of things they want to do, they want to go on the Internet, they want to watch TV, do a lot of stuff, so they can't commit that much time in front of the TV, play their game a little bit, do something else, then maybe play later again. So the style of gaming has changed. But developers that make games these days are from the generation that grew up sitting in front of their TV, putting in hours to a game. So the developers mind and the player's mind might not by synchronized.

1UP: You've been at Microsoft Game Studios for a while now, from the beginning of Xbox through to the Xbox 360. That must have been a difficult experiment to witness, in terms of Japanese culture and their limited acceptance of that hardware. What sort of observations have you made about the Japanese gaming consumer based on your experience with the Xbox platform?
YF: The only people who buy Xbox in Japan are people who like games. Hardcore gamers. If you ask them what their hobby is, they'll say "playing games." So, because of that, especially when I was working on the original version of Panzer, I was always thinking that this [game development] was a cool job, and much in the way it was working on the original Xbox, it was something of a luxury because we knew that our audience just wanted to play games. They didn't buy it because it played DVDs or for reasons other than gaming. This was awesome for me, because I could focus on people who liked real games.
With Xbox 360 if you look at the lineup of titles that the 360 has right now, it's pretty solid, and if we had this kind of lineup 5 years ago, we might have had half the market. But these days the way users play games has changed, so the question is do people even want to play games on a console any more? So that might be one of the reasons that 360 or other consoles might not be doing as well as they had before.

1UP: Like with the PS3. You might ask yourself did we really need another one so soon? The PS2 is still selling very well, and the installed base is in the tens of millions, which makes it less risky for publishers.
YF: PlayStation 3, even though the price came down a bit, it's still not selling, and part of the reason why Wii is selling so well is because you can play it with everybody, it's like a party tool. You can play it with everyone in front of the TV. The people I work with who bought the Wii aren't playing it any more.

1UP: Then the novelty wears off?
YF: Yeah, we're still satisfied with it, the gaming experience and the Miis, we're pretty satisfied with it, but there's nothing to play any more so it just sits in the corner of your room. But whenever you talk with somebody else and they ask you if it was fun, it was fun, so a person who hears that goes out and buys the Wii, so the hardware keeps on selling and selling. But the software isn't selling that well, because people don't play it any more, so they don't buy new software any more. That's the current situation.

1UP: Yeah, only hardcore people are buying Zelda. Everyone else gets it for Wii Sports or Wii Play and that's it. Eventually Nintendo is going to have to drum up some serious games before everyone else gets bored and goes off and concentrates on their 360s or PS3s, or something else.
YF: I think that Nintendo understands that. When the DS first was released, it wasn't that bright, it wasn't that cool. But after a year or so it started picking up and turned into a pretty awesome machine. So Nintendo is probably aware of that and thinking of something.

1UP: One criticism is that Nintendo always designs consoles for their games. If 3rd parties hop on, well great, but Nintendo always follows the patterns of releasing a B, B-plus game every two or three months, then putting out a triple-A game once or twice a year. Anything else is just filler. It's either Princess Peach or Mario & Luigi to fill the gaps, then its an F-Zero or Mario Kart in the biannual sense, then you might get a real Mario or Zelda game once a year. It's a predictable pattern. So besides the current state of the market, what have you been working on recently?
YF: After Phantom, I haven't been developing titles, I've been managing outsourced development. Within Microsoft, we have four groups to watch over outsourced development. One group looks over game design, another looks over the programming, another watched the art, and then there's the group that keeps scheduling on track. I'm the head of the game design unit. Whenever an external developer approaches us about a game concept, I look it over and decide whether or not it's good enough for us to release in Japan. So I've been doing this for two years, but now I'm getting sick of it, so I think it's time to quit.

1UP: Did Microsoft stop supporting internal development altogether? Is that why there hasn't been a Phantom Dust sequel?

YF: There's no more internal development in Japan. Lost Odyssey, that title used to be Microsoft's title. It was Microsoft's idea, and was begun as an internal project. But after we started Microsoft decided that we weren't going to do internal development any more, so we gave the concept over to FeelPlus, and sent all of the people who were working on it internally over to FeelPlus.

1UP: So FeelPlus is all former, internal MSG members?
YF: Well, currently, only about a quarter of the people are former MSG members, since FeelPlus had to bring in a lot of people to work on the game, but it's sort of like that.

1UP: And AQI [AQ Interactive] is just producing the title? I'm a little foggy on how AQI is involved exactly.
YF: Ray Nakazato, formerly of Microsoft Game Studios, at AQI is producing and looking over Lost Odyssey with FeelPlus. AQI owns FeelPlus.

1UP: So basically you would approve a concept and then hand it off to individual producers to manage?
YF: So Microsoft is like a game development investment company. It's not necessarily actively involved with the development. For example, Microsoft U.S. may have invested in this title, and they'll ask us "Do you think this game is worth the investment, do you think we'll make our money back?" And then we give our reports, like "We think this is a good investment" and give our report on the game. Then the developers will create the game, so Microsoft isn't so involved in the development that much. But during the development of 99 Nights it was a little better. I was able to be involved with the development, so it was more fun. But with Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, no one could say anything to [Hironobu] Sakaguchi. Nobody could go up to Sakaguchi and say "This part sucks, you have to change this." So, we just had to watch what he was doing and report that back to the U.S., so my real feeling is that I'm just tired of this, it's time to move on.

1UP: So you were just watching everybody else have fun. I understand.
YF: With Blue Dragon, near the end we did jump in and help them check stuff. But the actual fun part, the development, we couldn't touch anything. In Microsoft Japan, there's nobody that understands games like they do at Microsoft U.S. So from my point of view, Microsoft let me create Phantom Dust, but then they were supposed to release it in the U.S. as well, then it got removed from the first-party release list, so we weren't able to make a huge profit from it. So my perspective was 'Microsoft let me create my game, so I'll stay here for a while to watch over the development of these other games,' not because I wanted to, but because I felt kind of obligated to because they let me make Phantom Dust. But now I think that I've done enough, so now I'm going to move on.

It sounds like he was really wasted at MS once Phantom Dust was finished. :/
There's also a plethora of other interviews with him on the history and development of Panzer Dragoon as part of the PD retrospective on 1-up if anyone's interested.

Sad part is, I read this whole thing and the only thought that keeps coming in my mind is

"Why not find a way to re-release Panzer Dragoon Saga on XBLA". I know there are contracts and who knows how popular the game woudl be. Still, I want to play it in english, just find a way.

I'm hoping he's able to go on and make some fun games. I like Phantom Dust (really need to put a bit more time into it), and the first 2 Panzer Dragoon games were some of my favorite of the entire generation.

They picked the most boring possible video to showcase Phantom Dust. Most of it is the character running in circles around the map.

Heh, the guy really doesn't like his current job. Can't really blame him though... seems like the industry isn't where he wants it to be at all and MS Japan is worthless.

[quote name='lordxixor101']Sad part is, I read this whole thing and the only thought that keeps coming in my mind is

"Why not find a way to re-release Panzer Dragoon Saga on XBLA". I know there are contracts and who knows how popular the game woudl be. Still, I want to play it in english, just find a way.

I'm hoping he's able to go on and make some fun games. I like Phantom Dust (really need to put a bit more time into it), and the first 2 Panzer Dragoon games were some of my favorite of the entire generation.[/quote]

That's actually in one of the other interviews. IGN was pretty vague but it's hinted that somewhere along the way, the original PDS source code was lost at Sega, meaning that a ground-up port is next to impossible. It's also mentioned that the people who ported Panzer Dragoon to PS2 found the transition so difficult they also questioned the feasibility of even doing a port of PDS, since its design was even more tightly wrapped around the Saturn's architecture.

On the plus side though, he later says that before he dies, he wants to remake PDS as a rail-shooter.:drool:

1UP: Like with the PS3. You might ask yourself did we really need another one so soon? The PS2 is still selling very well, and the installed base is in the tens of millions, which makes it less risky for publishers.

YF: PlayStation 3, even though the price came down a bit, it's still not selling, and part of the reason why Wii is selling so well is because you can play it with everybody, it's like a party tool. You can play it with everyone in front of the TV. The people I work with who bought the Wii aren't playing it any more.

1UP: Then the novelty wears off?

YF: Yeah, we're still satisfied with it, the gaming experience and the Miis, we're pretty satisfied with it, but there's nothing to play any more so it just sits in the corner of your room. But whenever you talk with somebody else and they ask you if it was fun, it was fun, so a person who hears that goes out and buys the Wii, so the hardware keeps on selling and selling. But the software isn't selling that well, because people don't play it any more, so they don't buy new software any more. That's the current situation.
Exactly how a lot of us feel.

[quote name='help1']Exactly how a lot of us feel.[/quote]Maybe used to feel. It's hard to say in recent months that there's been nothing on the system.

[quote name='daroga']Maybe used to feel. It's hard to say in recent months that there's been nothing on the system.[/quote]But not much either.

[quote name='dallow']But not much either.[/quote]

Now, I understand why more people aren't into it that much - but I really like the VC. I have spent $120 on that alone, picking up games I have never played before (and others I bought because I sold the physical copy, like Mario 64). Yeah there are things about the system that really blow. Why the fuck is a demo channel/demo option missing from the VC? Why not deliver a playable demo of Metroid Prime 3 instead of some crappy videos? Why can't I navigate the GUI with a GC controller? What happens when I fill the all the internal storage I have with VC games, and then something like Earthbound/Mother 2 is released? Where the fuck are the games that take advantage of WiiConnect24 and Motion Control and Miis?

And, finally, where are the games we were promised?

I think that one already came out in August and two other big releases will be pushing the system into 2008. Post-2008 looks really bleak now, though, and that, specifically, is what I worry about.

Oh, and where is that Popularity Contest Channel?

Anyway, Yukio Futatsugi brings up some good points, but isn't it up to developers to evolve their thinking to take advantage of the increase in interest for casual games? Wouldn't that broaden the market and grow new marketplaces that could soak up the more traditional releases? I, for one, think that developers are having a tough time, especially in Japan, in deciding what the market wants to play. Yes, Brain Age is selling very well, as are quite a few other "non-games" but that does not mean that they will become the money-making standard used to acquire revenues for more traditional projects. Maybe. Capitalism says: Evolve or Die.

I don't remember being promised anything to be fair.

Alls I knows is, I'm getting Galaxy and Smash before the year is done.
Those two ALONE, justify my Wii.

I like the VC a lot, it's just too expensive, so I don't get much.

The whole "the software isn't selling" schtick is bullshit.

[quote name='Variable Gear'] Why can't I navigate the GUI with a GC controller? [/quote]

I don't get it. Are you supposed to be able to? The other questions you blurted out make some amount of sense, but this one doesn't.

And, finally, where are the games we were promised?

Like?

I think that one already came out in August and two other big releases will be pushing the system into 2008. Post-2008 looks really bleak now, though, and that, specifically, is what I worry about.

Except...we don't know anything about 2008. Not knowing anything != it being bleak.

but that does not mean that they will become the money-making standard used to acquire revenues for more traditional projects. Maybe. Capitalism says: Evolve or Die.

So you think these games won't last, despite that they are evidence of the credo you plaster onto the end of your rant?

This recent trend of "game developer X says Y" is making for really bad journalism. I mean we're cycling between what Dave Perry says versus analysts at this point, and both camps appear to just want to hear themselves talk.

[quote name='dallow']I don't remember being promised anything to be fair.

Alls I knows is, I'm getting Galaxy and Smash before the year is done.
Those two ALONE, justify my Wii.

I like the VC a lot, it's just too expensive, so I don't get much.[/quote]
I just wish there was a demo option for the VC, I mean it is inexpensive - and that means it is even easier for you to buy a game you dislike.

I was just playing off the fact that Nintendo originally stated that Galaxy, Brawl, and Corruption would be available at launch (Among other games). That was whittled down to just Metroid Prime 3 (and Prime 3 was just recently released). Dragon Quest Swords was supposed to be a launch title as well, and while I don't miss it much it isn't coming out until this November.

[quote name='Strell']The whole "the software isn't selling" schtick is bullshit.

I don't get it. Are you supposed to be able to? The other questions you blurted out make some amount of sense, but this one doesn't.

[/quote]
(At this point I realize that all of this takes about 5 seconds, but whatever, I can explain my opinion)

I just say that about the GC controller because it is a minor inconvenience to have to take the Wii Remote, turn on the system, go over to the Game Disc Channel, Click it with the Wii remote, set Wii Remote down and pick up Wavebird (and turn it on) to actually play. If I am going to play a GC game, it is more convenient to navigate with the Wavebird. (yeah, about 5 seconds)

Nintendo (like just about any other Game Pub/Dev) plays things a little too close to the chest. I know that many publishers have discovered that the Wii is selling software so therefore we should have a lot to play in '08. We just don't know what the games are yet. We have a lot on our plate for this year, so we really shouldn't worry now.

And about the evolve or die thing: what I meant was that devs/pubs may have to transition or at least switch focus from traditional projects to build casual games to allow their company to make a traditional games. Futasugi seems to be unhappy that the focus on "non-games" by publishers has increased, and I was just trying to say that he could benefit from the casual market while simultaeously building the games he wants to make.

Personally I want "Sadness" on the Wii already. What Futatsugi san was saying about innovation, well in that regard, we need "Sadness" desperately already.

[quote name='Variable Gear']Futasugi seems to be unhappy that the focus on "non-games" by publishers has increased, and I was just trying to say that he could benefit from the casual market while simultaeously building the games he wants to make.[/quote]
The problem is that he hasn't benefited from the casual market yet.
He commented elsewhere that Phantom Dust's US release was canned by Microsoft because businessmen felt it would be too complex for US audiences.
Since he's only had the shift to casual audiences suffocate his projects so far, it's not surprising that he feels this way.

The question of novelty wearing off is one of the most idiotic things ever.

Novelty BY DEFINITION is something new. New things don't stay new. Thats what the damn word means.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']The question of novelty wearing off is one of the most idiotic things ever.

Novelty BY DEFINITION is something new. New things don't stay new. Thats what the damn word means.[/QUOTE]
Yes if you take it completely literally, it's idiotic. The commonly understood implication is that when the novelty wears off, the fun isn't there anymore. That the fun was all in the novelty. And that's the problem.

[quote name='dallow']I agree help1.[/QUOTE]

Agreed indeed, my wife's brother just called me at work today asking if 180 $ was a good price to sell his wii, I SAID , hell yeah, he no longer uses it, and the ps3 is collecting dust, he just uses the 360....

[quote name='hcamacho']Agreed indeed, my wife's brother just called me at work today asking if 180 $ was a good price to sell his wii, I SAID , hell yeah, he no longer uses it, and the ps3 is collecting dust, he just uses the 360....[/quote]Yup, my PS3 just became my high end BD/DVD/SACD player.
My Wii just became my GC.

Although I still use an Oppo to play PAL DVDs.

bread's done
Back