Paramount dropping HD-DVD???

This is being discussed ad-nauseum over at AVS Forum. Basically the clause always existed that would allow Paramount to opt out of exclusivity, if Warner opted out. The clause has been public for some time.
As of today, Paramount has not indicated that they would opt out. In fact, this morning Paramount expressed that they will still support HD DVD.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=aQMGgh2LV_bU&refer=japan
Remember, Paramount released HD DVD's biggest seller, Transformers. Why would they opt out after that disc sold like hot cakes on the HD DVD format? Sales are good, why opt out now?
Warner on the other hand probably looked at holiday sales of the Harry Potter movies, released on both formats. I'm guessing the BD versions out-sold the HD DVD versions. Granted they probably planned it for a while, but the holiday sales didn't hurt.

yeah.... I'm pissed after just buying an HD-DVD player.... as much as the PS3 has been a huge flop in terms of the gaming console (so far, the war isn't over yet). it has helped skyrocket Blu-ray into more homes than HD-DVD, and thus will help it win the format war.... I'm going to sell my toshiba HD-dvd player and get a blu-ray player....

I was originally going to get a PS3, but they now have players that are $150 bucks less than the ps3, and the Ps3 has NO IR receiver.. (what a mistake on sonys part) it would drive me nuts to have to put down my harmony remote and pickup a ps3 controller to play movies.

RIP HD-DVD.....

If this does happen, I'm think the battle will be over. I want HD-DVD to win because it's tied to XBox, but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

Blu Ray is such a cool name. As stupid as this may sound, I feel that HD-DVD would have had a better chance if it would have started with a cooler name.

[quote name='Drnick']yeah.... I'm pissed after just buying an HD-DVD player.... as much as the PS3 has been a huge flop in terms of the gaming console (so far, the war isn't over yet). it has helped skyrocket Blu-ray into more homes than HD-DVD, and thus will help it win the format war.... I'm going to sell my toshiba HD-dvd player and get a blu-ray player....

I was originally going to get a PS3, but they now have players that are $150 bucks less than the ps3, and the Ps3 has NO IR receiver.. (what a mistake on sonys part) it would drive me nuts to have to put down my harmony remote and pickup a ps3 controller to play movies.

RIP HD-DVD.....[/QUOTE]

They have a ps3 remote for blu-ray so you don't have to use the controller, and since the controller comes wireless you can use it easily. Also be careful what you pay for I believe I read somewhere that some of the cheaper blu-ray players won't be able to use all of the features of Blu-Ray 2.0. Where as with a PS3 you won't have a problem with that at all.

I want HD-DVD to win because it's NOT tied to Sony.

Either way however I'll likely never buy either of them for 3+ years. There's just not a significant enough boost over DVD in terms of features and quality like there was for VHS.

My first DVD player was $400+ and I bought it when the entire DVD collection at blockbuster could fit on a single turning wire rack.

come on M$... just throw them more $ and HD DVD still have a fighting chance... either that or we'll just stick with dl's for a while like 5yrs....

[quote name='ogbaka']come on M$... just throw them more $ and HD DVD still have a fighting chance... either that or we'll just stick with dl's for a while like 5yrs....[/QUOTE]

Which is what MS wants you to do and why they are not going to infuse more money into HD DVD.

[quote name='techstar25']This is being discussed ad-nauseum over at AVS Forum. Basically the clause always existed that would allow Paramount to opt out of exclusivity, if Warner opted out. The clause has been public for some time.
As of today, Paramount has not indicated that they would opt out. In fact, this morning Paramount expressed that they will still support HD DVD.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=aQMGgh2LV_bU&refer=japan
Remember, Paramount released HD DVD's biggest seller, Transformers. Why would they opt out after that disc sold like hot cakes on the HD DVD format? Sales are good, why opt out now?
Warner on the other hand probably looked at holiday sales of the Harry Potter movies, released on both formats. I'm guessing the BD versions out-sold the HD DVD versions. Granted they probably planned it for a while, but the holiday sales didn't hurt.[/QUOTE]

Opting out of their contract doesn't mean abandoning HD DVD; they could opt out of their contract and end up format neutral instead, like they were prior to their contract.

Irrespective of the Financial Times article, which is just speculation, all signs point to the conditions being met for Paramount to get out of their contract. Whether or not they will is another matter entirely.

bread's done
Back