Particular Dreamcast games that just stop working for some reason

RPKGameVids

CAG Veteran
My question is for those of you who have more than one Dreamcast.

When you have a particular game that just stops working, even though the disc still looks perfectly fine. When you try that same disc on another Dreamcast, will it usually work?

My first disc of Code Veronica has stopped working. I've always looked after it, and the disc looks perfectly fine. I've cleaned it, I've cleaned the DC's lens, but it still doesn't work. :(

Disc rot or mechanical failure? Your best bet is to narrow the variables: try your original CV on another Dreamcast, then try a different CV on the Dreamcast that gave you the failure.

Wasn't there a batch of launch games that had something wonky with them? I don't know if CV is one of them, but you may want to look into that.

I do have a game I bought years ago, wouldn't work on my Dreamcast that I bought new when it came out but worked fine on a system I bought used. The Deamcast can be very picky, when I went on to disc 2 of Code Veronica it wouldn't work. I looked at the disc which was mint condition except for one spec of dust I could see which I wiped off and it worked after that.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Wasn't there a batch of launch games that had something wonky with them? I don't know if CV is one of them, but you may want to look into that.[/QUOTE]

Code Veronica wasen't a launch game. I vaguely remember this, Sonic Adventure I think was one of the games. If that's the case I lucked out as my copy of Sonic Adventure that I got on launch day never gave me any problems.

Actually, I do remember some games that looked fine but didn't play very well. I don't think that using a different dreamcast helped. however.

I got pretty familiar with the dreamcast home screen sometimes.

The GD-ROM drive in the Dreamcast has a habit of wearing out.

I own a copy of Street Fighter III 3rd Strike, looks flawless and new and doesn't work. Found an area the size of the tip of a pen on top where the label and data part of the disc were gone. Subtle damage like that can make a disc completely unusable.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Wasn't there a batch of launch games that had something wonky with them?[/QUOTE]

Yes, they had GDROM replicating issues. Code Veronica wasn't one of those games.

The only Dreamcast game that I had just up and fail to work one day was Crazy Taxi 2. I got it the first day it came out, and it worked fine for a week or two. Then it would just never finish loading on the first loading screen. I got it exchanged at Funco, and my second copy has worked fine ever since.

I would also suggest trying to recalibrating the laser. It's a very simple tweak. I had issues where certain games wouldn't run on my Dreamcast but loaded up just fine on another. Simply fixing the laser's calibration did the trick.

Just Sonic Adventure, actually. It had to do with an issue where the game was incorrectly burned at the manufacturing plant. It mainly affected Sonic Adventure and Blue Stinger.

Sonic Adventure 2 came waaaaay late into the Dreamcast's life (after Sega discontinued it, in fact) to have any issues.

I can't get a pristine copy of Maken X to play, and lately my Disney World Racing game has had disc-read errors.

Anyone ever have problems with Shenmue? I have 2 Dreamcasts, one of them will read the disc fine and the other one won't read it at all. Maybe I should try the laser calibration trick...

I think what I will do is buy another Dreamcast for the couple of games that don't work on the one I already have, and for any other games which may stop working. As I've just remembered that my copy of Centipede wouldn't work, yet when I took it to a game shop and they tried it on their Dreamcast it did work.

[quote name='gamegirl79']Anyone ever have problems with Shenmue? I have 2 Dreamcasts, one of them will read the disc fine and the other one won't read it at all. Maybe I should try the laser calibration trick...[/QUOTE]

I've heard a lot of people complain about having problems with Shenmue. All the discs for my copy of Shenmue work prefectly though. I guess Dreamcasts are just picky.

[quote name='placebo3369']I can't get a pristine copy of Maken X to play, and lately my Disney World Racing game has had disc-read errors.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='RPKGameVids']I think what I will do is buy another Dreamcast for the couple of games that don't work on the one I already have, and for any other games which may stop working. As I've just remembered that my copy of Centipede wouldn't work, yet when I took it to a game shop and they tried it on their Dreamcast it did work.

I've heard a lot of people complain about having problems with Shenmue. All the discs for my copy of Shenmue work prefectly though. I guess Dreamcasts are just picky.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='gamegirl79']Anyone ever have problems with Shenmue? I have 2 Dreamcasts, one of them will read the disc fine and the other one won't read it at all. Maybe I should try the laser calibration trick...[/QUOTE]
Definitely sounds like laser issues. And yeah, Dreamcasts can also be picky. Sometimes they'll run a disc and others they'll refuse to boot it up. Gets that way with age, I guess.

bread's done
Back