Patent: Nintendo's new Invitation System

Frazzle.D

CAG Veteran
According to U.S. Patent No. 20070123353 (are there really that many patents? No. 1 must be for "fire"), Nintendo is contemplating an "invitation system for [online videogames]." A fairly standard feature of Xbox Live, this would enable Wii users to be automatically notified of any friends logged into Nintendo servers, and enable the ability to invite said player to join them in whatever wonderful fantasy land in which they currently reside.

This technically may not even be for the Wii, but with rewritable firmware and a crapton of yen to replace their entire online infrastructure, hey, you never know.
Sounds very interesting. Wonder what will happen. :)

Link: http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/06/03/nintendo-receives-patent-for-invitation-system/

Gotta crawl before you can walk.. here's hoping they flesh out this idea a bit more and we see an XBox Live-ish server for the Wii!

I'm kind of tired on the hopes and dreams of Nintendo's online plans. I've played the DS online which works but it would be nice to have a full and robust online system. Friend Codes wouldn't be so horrible if once you got it from your friends you could add them and use it for all the games or for invites without having to set them up for every individual game.

INVITATION....Based on the mispelled title, I thought I was going to read something involving Reggie and wooden paddles.

[quote name='Tybee']INVITATION....Based on the mispelled title, I thought I was going to read something involving Reggie and wooden paddles.[/quote]

No, that'd be E3 this year. I'm almost scared of it. Almost.

I wouldnt mind friend codes if they were tied to the system and not to each game. If we exchange friend codes to play Pokemon, then why the hell cant we also play Tetris, or whatever else we want. It should be one friend code per console.

How is this a patent? This describes what everyone has been screaming at them to do. Patents have to be non-obvious.

[quote name='jkam']I'm kind of tired on the hopes and dreams of Nintendo's online plans. I've played the DS online which works but it would be nice to have a full and robust online system. Friend Codes wouldn't be so horrible if once you got it from your friends you could add them and use it for all the games or for invites without having to set them up for every individual game.[/QUOTE]
Well I think the DS is excusable unless they update the firmware to have some sort of online friend managing thing. Instead of friend codes for each game, one DS Buddylist that transfers over to each game. Being a portable and having lack of memory, I'll give it a slight free pass. DS Online definitely seems like an afterthought.

The problem is that they are using that as a blueprint for the Wii's online system. The blueprint needs to be XBL, and I will gladly pay a fee for a Nintendo version of that. They're getting our hopes up with WiiConnect24 and the whole its always online thing. If they could get the Wii going, they could also use it as a beacon for a more robust DS network. A DS channel with online demos, DS buddylist, free online games that you could only play with your DS through the Wii. That would grow the DS community and insure an even longer life span. I don't want to have to call my friends up to play Mario Kart DS, I wanna just play and then they pop in and join me.

Those are some small things they can do. They have millions in profit from the VC, they need to take some more chances. Hell while they're at it, let me flash my VC purchases over to my DS. Buttom line.. they dropped the bomb on GC/GBA connectivity, this would be simply amazing.

bread's done
Back