Paypal $100 Off when you use Bill Me Later YMMV

azngtlman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
I received an email yesterday with this promotion:

pixel.gif
"As one of our most valued customers, you’ve got a brand new choice from PayPal that lets you shop now, and pay for your purchases later. It's called Bill Me Later®.
pixel.gif
It couldn’t be easier. First – select PayPal as your payment method. Second – sign in to your PayPal account. Third – choose Bill Me Later.*
pixel.gif
Start your holiday shopping now at eBay or any participating PayPal store. Shop by 11/30/09 and get an exclusive offer – up to $100 off your first purchase and no payments for 90 days.
pixel.gif
You're pre-approved to use Bill Me Later and take advantage of this exciting offer. This offer is exclusively for you and not transferable."

I then went and ordered an XBOX 360 Arcade at BestBuy, which also has Bing cashback and ship to store. There is tax however, in CA almost 20 bucks. But this is good for people who missed out on the Amazon and Walmart deals. I just ordered this morning and supposedly we'll get the credit back within 1-2 billing cycles. Will update once I get the credit back. Basically I will pay $220, get $10 cash back and $100 credit within 30-60 days and not have to pay for another 90 days.

Obviously you're a more valued customer than I am! I got the same offer, but it's only for $25 cash back.

Paypal promotion through Bill Me Later, you have to find certain stores that allow it to happen. I tried Overstock and no luck, Newegg works but the Cashback is only 2%.

good deal. see the email now myself. Just wondering though, what stores can i get these from? I'm looking for approved stores, but i cant seem to find a list or anything.

any help

Damn, I just did Bill Me Later like a week ago for the $25 one (and that hasn't showed up?!?) wonder if I can still get in on the $100 off.. I use paypal all the time. It said non-transferrable.. did you see a coupon code or promotion through checkout?

*edit* I changed my notification settings in paypal to receive partner/3rdd party promos.. I assume Billmelater is a partner? Either way hope I get one and it's not too late hehe

this is what i got

Do you like choices? We thought so. That's why you've got a brand new choice from PayPal that lets you shop now, and pay for your purchases later. It's called Bill Me Later®.

It couldn’t be easier. First – select PayPal as your payment method. Second – sign in to your PayPal account. Third – choose Bill Me Later.*

Start your holiday shopping now at eBay or any participating PayPal store.

You're pre-approved to use Bill Me Later. This offer is exclusively for you and not transferable.

i didnt even get 25..

I don't see that promo either, but if you go to PayPal.com, navigate to the 'jumpstart the season with 30% off' area and then to buy.com, you could get up to 65% off. I'm assuming this would work toward game purchases.

UPDATE: Up to 65% only for a specified area. Nevermind. Damn!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shrike4242']Enjoy the hit to your credit report if you choose to use this.[/QUOTE]

what do you mean credit hit? how does that happen?

I also read on FW that their Bill Me Later is done through CIT.... who just declared bankruptcy. "2 billing cycles".... hmmm...

[quote name='shadylane']what do you mean credit hit? how does that happen?[/QUOTE]
They do a credit check before they allow purchases to go through. It's like a cloud credit card. When checking credit history it gains marks and tells other creditors who accesses your credit and for what. The more a creditor pulls your credit history to allow you credit (for whatever, but in this case bill me later) the more points add up against you. But for $100 one time... I say it's worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
this offer is also available at steam as posted earlier, $25 off when using paypal/ bill me later- no minimum, you don't need to have gotten the email offer, but it may not work for everyone

a credit score hit from a hardpull is going to be minor. no need to worry unless planning to buy a home, car or start a business in the next 6-12 months. In which case, you should probably stop reading cag, find out your credit score and pull a report from one of the 3 agencies.

I receive the $25 promo - good until the end of the month. It will help make the BF and Cyber Monday sales a little nicer.

hmmm....I've been using paypal since it was xcom.com (late 90's) and billmelater for a couple years, and I havnt gotten an offer >:O
Guess I suck to them?

Billmelater doesnt check your credit score every time you use them, even states it on their website, and my score monitoring has never shown them "hit me" aside from the the first time check when I set up the account, and even then it didnt effect my score.

[quote name='Shadows916']hmmm....I've been using paypal since it was xcom.com (late 90's) and billmelater for a couple years, and I havnt gotten an offer >:O
Guess I suck to them?

Billmelater doesnt check your credit score every time you use them, even states it on their website, and my score monitoring has never shown them "hit me" aside from the the first time check when I set up the account, and even then it didnt effect my score.[/QUOTE]

That's odd...

The credit hit is most likely the same as if you were signing up for a new credit card so in the big scheme of things, not that big a deal. Even if you're buying a house, a few points here and there doesn't make a big deal... it's not going to drop you from a 750 to a 700.

This deal may be only for people who haven't used Bill me Later in the past as this is the first time I've heard of it and I use Paypal quite a bit.

Place a "mock" order to see if you have it. Go to newegg.com and add something to your cart. Checkout and choose paypal (not bill me later on newegg). Once you log into paypal, if the offer is available to you, you will see a "bill me later" option with a check box below it to use your "up to $100" offer. If you don't see the offer don't continue (or if you did, don't continue until you know what you want to order)

[quote name='Ski Hawk']I'm 17 and have no credit at all. Probably wouldn't work for me.[/QUOTE]

My credit rating is worse. My first credit card was stolen and maxed out before I even had a chance to use it. If I knew how badly it ruined my credit I would have paid the bill and cancelled the card...

regardless, no deal for me either. Damn it paypal I use you all the time.

I got an e-mail for 25$ off. Too bad the paypal is in my mom's name when it was started years ago, if it was mine I might have gotten the 100$ offer.

[quote name='Kstyle']I didnt get it
i have good credit and fcking use paypal often ass holes[/QUOTE]

dont feel bad they didnt offer me anything either. as a matter of fact instead of giving me anything they wanted to charge me $25 just to use bill me later.:cry:

[quote name='h2dk']Place a "mock" order to see if you have it. Go to newegg.com and add something to your cart. Checkout and choose paypal (not bill me later on newegg). Once you log into paypal, if the offer is available to you, you will see a "bill me later" option with a check box below it to use your "up to $100" offer. If you don't see the offer don't continue (or if you did, don't continue until you know what you want to order)[/QUOTE]

i think someone said the $100 wont credit for 30 days after purchase. Otherwise, i would have been all over this already as i got the email for $100 off

I took advantage of this on some Astro A40's. I pass the first time I was offered this on another order, but the second time I did a google search and read about the deal. My credit score is high enough that I don't care about a hard pull that may cost me 10 to 15 points. I've seen my credit score go up and down 10 points on a regular basis and I haven't had any hard pulls in a couple of years.

Astro A40's for $100 off is worth it to me.

What's the req for up to $100 off your first purchase. It isn't straight up $100 off your first purchase is it, do you need to spend $5,000 to get that discount?

No it is straight up $100 off as long as the item cost $100 or more. The thing though is that they offer you the amount. Not everybody was offered $100. I don't know what their requirements were in determining who got offered what.

I have a question about Bill Me Later. Would I need the money covered in order to use it for purchases?

1. I have a debit card, but no credit cards.
2. I want to buy a laptop, but I don't have the money yet.

Would Bill Me Later work?

Bill Me later is essentially a credit card with the physical card.. It's like a line of credit. So you do not need the money right then and there to use it for purchase.. but you'll want to have it paid off before interest starts adding up. You can get a 90day no interest deal w/ BML but after 90days and it's not paid off a certain % will be added.. you'll also have minimum monthly payments. Read up on how CC's work so you're not screwed. Good luck!

Ya, i got the email. didn't say jack about an actual $ bonus. Only read "look for your exclusive bonus after completing your first Billmelater purchase on Ebay!"

I can't seem to get bill me later to show up as an option in paypal. I go to newegg and start to checkout go to paypal and then sign in and the only options are my credit card and my bank account. Does anyone have this problem?

[quote name='pROvIs']I can't seem to get bill me later to show up as an option in paypal. I go to newegg and start to checkout go to paypal and then sign in and the only options are my credit card and my bank account. Does anyone have this problem?[/QUOTE]

I am guessing you didn't get the offer then. At this point one of the radial "boxes" was Bill Me Later for me.

For everyone else, I never received an email from paypal regarding this. Do what I suggested in my previous post and "test" to see if you got it.

Its really strange. I have received emails about bill me later through paypal and being eligible etc. I did not receive this one though. I tried several merchants and it still didn't show up except buy.com which showed me eligible for paypals old pay later option. As far as I can tell there isn't anywhere you can turn this feature on or off.

That being said I have never used bill me later and only use paypal a few times a year with ebay. I do have good credit but prefer to use credit cards rather than deal with the hassle. Very strange indeed.

Wow PayPal is screwing me over! I get paid through paypal all the time and they take 3% each time. But I'm still not "valued" enough I guess, even though they've made about $1000 off me this year, thanks Paypal

[quote name='Ultra Woody']That's odd...[/QUOTE]

Not really, I don't think you have half the idea of how credit scoring works that you think you do.

Bill Me Later actually sent me a physical letter about the $100 offer, capped with a line saying they "couldn't reach me" over e-mail about it. I've never used them, and my PayPal account is under the same e-mail I use for EVERYTHING on the internet, so I'm not really clear how they were trying to contact me and failing. That said, I've had the same Paypal account for ages now (dating back to when they were giving you money to sign up), and have never used BML, so I do suspect it's probably a promotion aimed at getting people to start more than everything.

Do you know if you get the $100 off before it does the credit check?

I never got the email about this, but in my PayPal options I do have a BillMeLater option, but it doesn't say anything about a discount. It just prompts me to fill in the info for a credit check.

I'd rather know if I'm going to get the discount before taking the credit ding...

Thanks!

The only time i use bill me later (which is rare) i just pay it off next month. Their interest rate was like 23%...

bread's done
Back