Paypal and Phishing

Beast9287

CAGiversary!
I don't know why but I continue to get emails from "paypal" claiming I've authorized a transaction for x amount of dollars to some undisclosed e-mail address. Now I know it's a phishing scam, but I continue to get these no matter how many times I report this to Paypal. Is there a way to somehow remove my e-mail from some sort of mailing list or is it just too late to do anything?

Is it a paypal address? or someone claiming to be paypal? as much as i hate Paypal, I never get that kind of stuff from them.

[quote name='Beast9287']Is there a way to somehow remove my e-mail from some sort of mailing list or is it just too late to do anything?[/quote]Hehe, I'm really sorry, but this amuses me. If the scammers don't mind robbing your bank account, why would they respect your wish to not be spammed? No honor among theives, I guess!

[quote name='underliness']Did you forward it to [email protected]? I got a couple once and forwarded it to them and they seemed to stop. But yeah they are basicly theives, no mailing list on this one :p, just block the email if it's the same one.[/quote]

Yes, fo paypal users everywhere, ALWAYS forward suspicious emails to [email protected]

I do forward suspicious emails to them. I first noticed that when Paypal emails me they message me by first and last name, as when these scam artists do so, they do it by "Paypal Member". Also for some odd reason, this one seemed really amateur, as it said the email was from Paypal.inc.

I get shit like that from "Ebay" to my gmail account. My Ebay user name and my gmail prefix are the same so the dumbass scammers think it's my account.

I reply to some of them for shits and giggles, leading them to think I believe them.:lol:

I actually just received a blatant ass fake one yesterday.
I already forward it to spoof.
But just something you guys should look out for.

First when i saw this i was like WTF ... this isnt even the email i use for paypal.
And when i hover over the paypal.com link in the email the actual address shows up on the bottom of my browser.
And it was some crazy looking pile of random numbers and letters and ended in .net.
Hell no am i clicking that shit.
The email had the paypal font and layout perfectly tho so it can easlier fool anyone that doesnt look hard enough.

So Heres a very good tip, before you click on any link look at the real web address of it and make sure where you think you are going is actually where your going.

We recently noticed more attempts to log in to your PayPal account from a foreign IP address.
If you accessed your account while traveling, the unusual log in attempts may have been initiated by you.

However, if you are the rightful holder of the account, please visit Paypal as soon as possible to verify your identity:

You can also verify your account by logging into your PayPal account at THE FAKE LINK

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choose but to temporally suspend your account.

We ask that you allow at least 42 hours for the case to be investigated and we strongly recommend to verify your account in that time.

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

I've gotten one like that not too long ago too, as well as the Ebay one. The Ebay one I only got once, and it freaked me out because it said I need to verify a payment of 465.64 to some user.

[quote name='supraazn']I actually just received a blatant ass fake one yesterday.
I already forward it to spoof.
But just something you guys should look out for.

First when i saw this i was like WTF ... this isnt even the email i use for paypal.
And when i hover over the paypal.com link in the email the actual address shows up on the bottom of my browser.
And it was some crazy looking pile of random numbers and letters and ended in .net.
Hell no am i clicking that shit.
The email had the paypal font and layout perfectly tho so it can easlier fool anyone that doesnt look hard enough.

So Heres a very good tip, before you click on any link look at the real web address of it and make sure where you think you are going is actually where your going.[/quote]
My email client (Foxmail) displays everything as plain text, so the "real" links are always visible.

Not that anyone should be fooled by the scams anyway, but you know how people are...

Forget just checking links... I never click through email links to access money-related things, I always type the address into the browser manually.

Anyway, does your email provider offer a spam filter/blocking service? if it does, mark the messages as junk/block the sender after forwarding to [email protected]... see if that helps.

"We recently noticed more attempts to log in to your PayPal account from a foreign IP address.
If you accessed your account while traveling, the unusual log in attempts may have been initiated by you.

However, if you are the rightful holder of the account, please visit Paypal as soon as possible to verify your identity:

You can also verify your account by logging into your PayPal account at THE FAKE LINK

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choose but to temporally suspend your account.

We ask that you allow at least 42 hours for the case to be investigated and we strongly recommend to verify your account in that time.

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team"

I didn't know that they can suspend the temporal lobe of your Paypal account. I didn't even know that Paypal accounts had temporal lobes. At least they're not suspending your account tempurally. Not being able to eat tempura would be kind of a bitch.

bread's done
Back