Paypal/Ebay help.

Bretts31344

CAGiversary!
Feedback
47 (100%)
I sold a sealed WoW game card on Ebay since Walmart would not accept the return. The buyer paid through paypal and since all the cleared, I sent them the code via email since they requested it be done that way. I get two emails today, one saying my auction has been closed and another saying paypal has refunded the buyer their money. I am left without the code and screwed out of my money too. Is there anything I can do? The paypal case is closed and I got no say in the matter what so ever. Thanks.

No you're screwed.

Seller protection does not cover items delivered electronically.

In the future if you ever sell time cards, points cards, whatever make sure you actually mail something with delivery confirmation so that this can't happen to you again.

[quote name='daminion']No you're screwed.

Seller protection does not cover items delivered electronically.

In the future if you ever sell time cards, points cards, whatever make sure you actually mail something with delivery confirmation so that this can't happen to you again.[/quote]

I've sold a few codes and items electronically. Luckily, nothing but good has come out of them. I have learned from that, and I actually will mail something now if I decide to sell something.

couldnt' he just mail the old card now get a dc and then dispute it?

please note i don't know much about this stuff but it makes sence to me.

[quote name='auralia']couldnt' he just mail the old card now get a dc and then dispute it?

please note i don't know much about this stuff but it makes sence to me.[/quote]

Not if the money has already been taken out of his account and Paypal has closed the matter.

I would like to see the auction in question, if anything to block the scamming bidder from any of my auctions.

Dang. I knew I was screwed when I got two emails from other sellers asking it the buyer scammed me. I don't know why Walmart would not return it though. It was sealed and I had the receipt. I should have just sold it to a friend for $25 (retails for $30). Thanks for the information everyone. Some people are just jackasses though and take advantage of everything like this.

You could file fraud, but not mail fraud since you didn't send anything through the mail. http://www.ic3.gov/

I'd complain to PayPal and eBay but I wouldn't count on them helping you out. My guess is PayPal will tell you that you need to file a complaint with the police and FAX them a police report or some shit along those lines.

[quote name='wubb']You could file fraud, but not mail fraud since you didn't send anything through the mail. http://www.ic3.gov/

I'd complain to PayPal and eBay but I wouldn't count on them helping you out. My guess is PayPal will tell you that you need to file a complaint with the police and FAX them a police report or some shit along those lines.[/quote]

Ok thanks. I think I will just cut my losses, but I hate that someone can get away with this so easily. Paypal protects the buyers too much it something like this is so simple to put off.

The reason this happened is because you sent it via e-mail. E-bay gives all deference to the buyer because sending codes VIA email violates their policy.

I'm not saying what he did was right or paypal/ebay performed properly, I'm just saying you broke their policy and aren't given the protection a seller would typically have.

The best route for you to take is to call up blizzard and explain that you purchased this card from wal-mart; however when inputting the code it says it has been used.... noting that your account did not use the card. Im not sure if you played this back in the day, but there was few thousand codes that were duplicated a long time ago by mistake and sold in retail stores.

[quote name='dyeknom']The reason this happened is because you sent it via e-mail. E-bay gives all deference to the buyer because sending codes VIA email violates their policy.

I'm not saying what he did was right or paypal/ebay performed properly, I'm just saying you broke their policy and aren't given the protection a seller would typically have.

The best route for you to take is to call up blizzard and explain that you purchased this card from wal-mart; however when inputting the code it says it has been used.... noting that your account did not use the card. Im not sure if you played this back in the day, but there was few thousand codes that were duplicated a long time ago by mistake and sold in retail stores.[/quote]

Right, that would have been nice to know before the auction ended... I guess I should have read the full agreement text.

I might try calling Blizzard, but then I would probably feel like I was scamming them a little.

That sucks... I hate scammers, so pretty much anything that is payed for that is not a physical object you are screwed and you can't get your money back?
What if I buy a wow account for $500 and they take it back I wouldn't be able to get my money back? They need to make better rules.

I tried using the code. It has been redeemed. As someone else said, I guess selling "electronic" items (or virtual goods) is against the Ebay agreement but my listing went for seven days without getting flagged. I still am slightly pissed that Walmart rejected my refund. They should at least tell me at the time of purchase I can't return it later, even if it was sealed. I bought it for a friend and he had his account paid until next year. If anyone sells something like this (which I obviously don't recommend), make sure to physically ship the code to them (make sure the address is verified if using Paypal) with tracking info (like a delviery confirmation number).

Wow .. that's crazy. I never knew that there was zero protection for sending things electronically.

I would def. leave negative feedback, and explain exactly what happed, write a complaint to eBay, file fraud at the link above, and personally call his/her house.

Yes, either way you are cutting your loss, but by trying to make it atleast known of what the eBay buyer did by feedback, contacting them, filing fraud etc. you may get a little satisfaction knowing that he/she can not do this to another eBay seller.

I'd request eBay buyer information, and give them a couple nice phone calls until I recieved an awnser .. what may happen is it may be a child, you reach there parents who have no idea their child is a scamming asshole and you recieve your money back....

[quote name='hec204']That sucks... I hate scammers, so pretty much anything that is payed for that is not a physical object you are screwed and you can't get your money back?
What if I buy a wow account for $500 and they take it back I wouldn't be able to get my money back? They need to make better rules.[/quote]

Actually, those auctions are removed immediately because ebay no longer supports video game account auctions. They are removed every day. The funny thing is, if the auction goes through... ebay has no problem taking their cut :/

As for wal-mart, they should have taken it back... and in fact HAVE to take back an item purchased less than 15-30 days if sealed and accompanied by a receipt, since it is NOT a giftcard. It's in their store policies and on their website... Those are nationwide policies, so you shoulda just called down their manager or went to a different wal-mart.

Don't let corporate america's worker ants push you around >.

I'd admit thats pretty odd (ebay not allowing digital info) I know a fellow cag who bought a JP psn card off ebay; the seller emailed him the key pass and that was it. End of story

I don't know what the exact policy for sending things via e-mail that you sold on eBay is, but there are a TON of auctions where you can only get receive things like XBL subs via e-mail. Again, I don't know what the policy is, but there certainly are a lot of them, so you would think eBay would knock a lot of them down if they were completely against policy.

Anyway, I have sold ONE thing via e-mail, and that was a 12-month sub card I pulled from a Vision Bundle (actually got $44 for it). After listing it, I thought about how bad an idea it was, considering how someone could screw me over. I took the only steps I could I think of to offer myself a minimal amount of protection. I took pictures of the card, with the code unrevealed, the code half-revealed, and the code fully revealed. I also made my e-mail as professional-looking as possible. The buyer never gave me a problem and left me good feedback. But I don't think I will ever do that again, just to be safe.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I don't know what the exact policy for sending things via e-mail that you sold on eBay is, but there are a TON of auctions where you can only get receive things like XBL subs via e-mail. Again, I don't know what the policy is, but there certainly are a lot of them, so you would think eBay would knock a lot of them down if they were completely against policy.

Anyway, I have sold ONE thing via e-mail, and that was a 12-month sub card I pulled from a Vision Bundle (actually got $44 for it). After listing it, I thought about how bad an idea it was, considering how someone could screw me over. I took the only steps I could I think of to offer myself a minimal amount of protection. I took pictures of the card, with the code unrevealed, the code half-revealed, and the code fully revealed. I also made my e-mail as professional-looking as possible. The buyer never gave me a problem and left me good feedback. But I don't think I will ever do that again, just to be safe.[/quote]

I am glad your transaction went well. Just don't expect everyone to be the same. Some people just try stealing things, either physically or electronically, and these policies make it very easy for someone to steal things electronically.

[quote name='Bretts31344']I am glad your transaction went well. Just don't expect everyone to be the same. Some people just try stealing things, either physically or electronically, and these policies make it very easy for someone to steal things electronically.[/quote]

Well, if you think about it, a lot of eBay/PayPal policies allow people to steal anything, not just electronic goods. Unfortunately, it is left up to the sellers to user as many layers of protection as possible. The more steps you take to make the deal look professional, and the more blocks you set-up to stop scammers in their track, the better off you'll be.

The unfortunate truth is that eBay looks to protect buyers far more than they do sellers. The only time eBay really goes out of their way to protect sellers, oddly enough, is when it comes to law enforcement agencies trying to track down stolen goods. eBay absolutely refuses to offer up any kind of real assistance, citing "privacy" issues of their users.

So the buyer paid you the money via Paypal, you e-mailed him the code, and I guess he then went into Paypal from his end and reversed the transaction?

Does it work that quickly? I've sold several things on eBay with Paypal payments (nothing electronically) and thankfully haven't had any issues. You'd think Paypal would put it on hold for a few days to give the recipient a chance to respond.

[quote name='Chitown021']So the buyer paid you the money via Paypal, you e-mailed him the code, and I guess he then went into Paypal from his end and reversed the transaction?

Does it work that quickly? I've sold several things on eBay with Paypal payments (nothing electronically) and thankfully haven't had any issues. You'd think Paypal would put it on hold for a few days to give the recipient a chance to respond.[/quote]

I'm going to assume that is has to do with whatever eBay's policy towards electronic delivery of certain items is. Again, I have no clue about that stuff. But yes, you are right. It is generally put on hold for awhile. I am going through a dispute right that I just filed the other night for non-deliverance, and the seller has time to respond.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I'm going to assume that is has to do with whatever eBay's policy towards electronic delivery of certain items is. Again, I have no clue about that stuff. But yes, you are right. It is generally put on hold for awhile. I am going through a dispute right that I just filed the other night for non-deliverance, and the seller has time to respond.[/quote]

I see. So in the OP's scenario the refund request may have been on hold for a few days and the "burden of proof" to keep the money falls into the sellers lap. Since it's an "electronic" sale and not a physical one even if the OP responds eBay just steps back, says "too bad you violated our policy", and allows the buyer to get the code and his cash back.

bread's done
Back