Paypal is evil? (Silent Hill related)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgsvr

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Ok so I sold my copy of Silent Hill Complete and got 73 bucks total for it. Well usually when people send me money from 20-30 bucks, I can still recieve it no problem.

But today Paypal force me to upgrade to Premier Account in order to recieve that 73 bucks. If I deny, I think I won't be able to recieve that 73 bucks. So I accepted, and Paypal subtract 2 dollars something from my 73 bucks.

What...the...hell. Ok is there anyway I can go back to the Basic Account? I don't like this Premier BS.

Yes, you can downgrade your paypal account. BUT only once. Your personal paypal account will not allow you accept payment from credit cards (only checking accounts).

steps taken from fatwallet
login to paypal.com
Go to Help --> Getting Started --> Premier & Business

On the right column, click on the question “Can I downgrade my account?”

Follow the instructions from there on.

You should have denied it because the payment was made by credit card. If you have a regular PayPal account it cannot accept any credit card payments.

The sucky part is that now that you've 'upgraded' your PayPal account to Premier, they will now help themselves to a fee everytime you receive payment, regardless of whether it was made via credit card or cash in a checking account.

You need to contact them about changing back to Basic Account, I am not sure what their current policy is but chances are they won't let you change back, or will only allow it this one time.

You probably should set up another PayPal account and keep it Basic. If people make credit card payment to you there, deny it and tell them to resend payment to your Premier Account instead.

Oh man, I never expect from people sending me using their Credit Card. Anyway, what do you guys use as your account, Basic or Premier?

I don't know if I should go back to Basic or not. Let say if I'm a Premier, but people sending me using their Paypal balance. Will Paypal still charge it when it's not that payment is not from the credit card?

You got $73 for you GH copy of Silent Hill.
Wow.....
My auction ended on Sunday and I only got $56 for my original version that was complete.
You got lucky (which is good). Either that or the prices keeps going upward.

Oh, one final thing. Not sure if you realize it BUT you have to pay your seller's fee for ebay. Once you log into ebay.com, go to "My Ebay". On the left hand side, there should be something called "Seller Account". That link will show you how much ebay wants from you. Even though they own paypal and have taken a chunk out already, you really don't have a choice.

[quote name='mgsvr']Oh man, I never expect from people sending me using their Credit Card. Anyway, what do you guys use as your account, Basic or Premier?

I don't know if I should go back to Basic or not. Let say if I'm a Premier, but people sending me using their Paypal balance. Will Paypal still charge it when it's not that payment is not from the credit card?[/QUOTE]

Yes, once you're a premier member. Paypal will charge you a fee from ALL transactions. It sucks.

You probably should set up another PayPal account and keep it Basic. If people make credit card payment to you there, deny it and tell them to resend payment to your Premier Account instead.

So it's better to keep Premier Account, and open another Basic Paypal account? So I'll basicly use the Basic one, until I recieve from people who use their credit card. I'll tell them to send it to my Premeier? Hmmmm

That link will show you how much ebay wants from you. Even though they own paypal and have taken a chunk out already, you really don't have a choice.

Will they shut down your account if you don't pay them? Damn the evil Paypal that steal my $2.49

update: wow....they want $5.04 from me =(

[quote name='mgsvr']That link will show you how much ebay wants from you. Even though they own paypal and have taken a chunk out already, you really don't have a choice.

Will they shut down your account if you don't pay them? Damn the evil Paypal that steal my $2.49

update: wow....they want $5.04 from me =([/QUOTE]

Yes, that is how ebay makes money. They charge seller fees. You didn't expect them to do it for free, did you? I have to agree with you (I'm sure every single nonebay employees will agree on this issue too), Ebay charges too much. Since, Ebay is the only one on the block right now (AKA monopoly, not a real one, but close enough in my opinion), you don't have much of a choice. I know there is yahoo auction and a few others. BUT they don't have nearly as much users as ebay.

[quote name='cheapass Gundam']You should have denied it because the payment was made by credit card. If you have a regular PayPal account it cannot accept any credit card payments.
[/QUOTE]

As a seller, on Ebay, if you say you accept Paypal, you MUST accept ALL FORMS of Paypal. Yes, it sucks, but those are the rules.

When I first started out on Ebay, I made an auction, and I stated I didn't accept credit card funded Paypal payments. Ebay pulled the auction in a day, and sent me an email telling me that if I was to use Paypal, I need to accept all forms of payment.

Paypal fees aren't that bad, just charge an extra dollar or so for shipping to make up for it.

Hmmm....I still have FFVII and Fatal Frame 2 up there on Ebay, and I don't know if I should change my account back to Basic now or not. Don't know if the future 2 payment will be another Credit Card type.

So Paypal only let us change back to Basic only once? Okay, I'll change back. If the two future Ebayer are using Credit Card, then I have no choice but to go back to Premier.

Damn this suck.

$2 fee on a $73 dollar selling price for a game you spent, at most, $20 on? Come on, just pay the fee and think about it like this, if they game was still sitting on your shelf you wouldn't have to pay a fee but you also wouldn't have made over a $50 profit.

btw, if I downgrade...that 70 bucks will still in my balance right? Also, I can still upgrade to Premier in the future if someone paid me again using Credit card?

[quote name='mgsvr']You probably should set up another PayPal account and keep it Basic. If people make credit card payment to you there, deny it and tell them to resend payment to your Premier Account instead.

So it's better to keep Premier Account, and open another Basic Paypal account? So I'll basicly use the Basic one, until I recieve from people who use their credit card. I'll tell them to send it to my Premeier? Hmmmm[/quote]

Yep, I've been doing it for a while. With ebay just make sure you disable the auto payment feature and email all buyers asking how they plan to pay (ie paypal CC, non CC or money order) then simply send the correct email address.

[quote name='mgsvr']btw, if I downgrade...that 70 bucks will still in my balance right? Also, I can still upgrade to Premier in the future if someone paid me again using Credit card?[/QUOTE]

The $70 will stil be in your paypal account. Not 100% sure about the second question, I haven't attempted anything like that. I'm GUESSING that you can still upgrade to Premier in the future. BUT you'll be stuck with it.

Alternatively, clearly state the preferred payment method (ie., no credit card) in your auctions. Most bidders would comply with your request. If not, deny the payment and email the buyer your instruction.

I guess it's a Hit or Miss chance when downgrad to Basic. If the two future Ebayer will send me using Credit Card...then I must email them or just upgrade my account to Premier again.

hey wbc1228, Ebayer forced us to pay them the Seller fee right?

[quote name='eau']Alternatively, clearly state the preferred payment method (ie., no credit card) in your auctions. Most bidders would comply with your request. If not, deny the payment and email the buyer your instruction.[/QUOTE]

Ebay (Paypal?) won't allow you to. Roufuss stated that his auction got pulled in the past because of that.

hmmmm....I heard that I must email the Paypal support team in order to change from premier to basic. Damn this suck so much.

If I open another Paypal Basic account, can I still use the same address and email and credit card to open it?

[quote name='mgsvr']I guess it's a Hit or Miss chance when downgrad to Basic. If the two future Ebayer will send me using Credit Card...then I must email them or just upgrade my account to Premier again.

hey wbc1228, Ebay forced us to pay them the Seller fee right?[/QUOTE]

Unless you don't plan on using Ebay ever again under that username, I would pay the fees.

I guess they are evil then. First, ebay gets its share of insertion/final value fees. Then PayPal (i.e., eBay) gets another 2-3%. You are looking at around 8% total in fees :roll:

Yea man, and if I don't accept that 70 bucks...that Ebayer might never even bother again. So I have no choice.

Anyway, I just opened a Basic account. Now I'll email Paypal to downgrade my account. If the future Ebayer send me using credit card, I'll ask them to send it to my other account.

[quote name='eau']I guess they are evil then. First, ebay gets its share of insertion/final value fees. Then PayPal (i.e., eBay) gets another 2-3%. You are looking at around 8% total in fees :roll:[/QUOTE]

I can kind of understand why paypal charges a fee for creditcard processing. BUT charging a fee to transfer funds between two paypal account (once you have upgraded to Premier)?! That is pathetic.

Basicly they just double strike me as 8 dollars something. Wow, and I sold my REmake for only $8.50 at CAG too. This is just sadden me.

Anyway, how long does it usually take Paypal to downgrade our account? My FFVII aunction is ending in 3 days too....

I can't believe people would pay such an insane price for a PS1 game. If it were me, I'll just find a ISO and play it using Emulation.

but what if your FFVII buyer also use a cc paypal? If you are planning to use ebay/paypal regularly I would just deal with this. You dont have to use paypal but your auction probably wont when as high.

[quote name='62t']but what if your FFVII buyer also use a cc paypal? If you are planning to use ebay/paypal regularly I would just deal with this. You dont have to use paypal but your auction probably wont when as high.[/QUOTE]

Exactly... there's the key point.

You don't have to use Paypal. You don't like getting charged fees, DON'T USE IT!! Now you may say "Wow, its conveinent for me though, and safer then a money order blah blah blah" but hey, you pay for that conveinence.

If Ebay is such a big hassle, take your games down to Gamestop or something. Someone earlier hit it on the head, you're complaining about a $2 charge when you just made over $73 on a game that probably sat on your shelf forever.

[quote name='mgsvr']I can't believe people would pay such an insane price for a PS1 game. If it were me, I'll just find a ISO and play it using Emulation.[/QUOTE]

This is ebay we're talking about. I have stranger things than that. It includes: people paying over MSRP on common items, paying a ton of money for stupid auctions ($28,000 for a grilled cheese sandwich with an alleged image of the Virgin Mary. WTF!? article link below)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6511148/

I guess you guys are right. Paypal is still better than taking Money Order or go to Gamestop/Eb to sell our game.

It just that when I sell my REmake for $8.50 on CAG, that $2 seem huge....oh well. That's why I'm on Cheap Ass Gamer....

[quote name='eau']If not, deny the payment and email the buyer your instruction.[/QUOTE] This seems like the best method. I wasn't sure what to do about Paypal either. Having you basic account as Ebay's, then just telling them to sending payment to your premier account if they send CC. This seems like the best way. Are there any problems with this method?

[quote name='mkg12']This seems like the best method. I wasn't sure what to do about Paypal either. This seems like the best[/QUOTE]

I tell you what, if I tried to paid someone through Paypal with a credit card, and they denied me and asked me to send it through a balance, I would tell them to fuck off and report them to Ebay.

What part of "You must accept all forms of Paypal" do you people not get?? Ebay will side with the buyer EVERY SINGLE TIME if you start pulling shit like this.

Here's a clever idea - just a dollar or two more for shipping to cover the fees. Problem solved!

I got a question guys. On the Paypal email payment I recieved:

Note:Tim Turi 1469 Crawford Ave. Falcon Heights MN, 55113

But on the Shipping Information, it written as "1468"

Damn, which one is more correct? I emailed the Buyer already but recieve no reply yet. This is my first time selling through Ebay, so help please. Which address do you guys usually ship to? The one on the Note or the one below the Shipping Information?

[quote name='Roufuss']I tell you what, if I tried to paid someone through Paypal with a credit card, and they denied me and asked me to send it through a balance, I would tell them to fuck off and report them to Ebay.

What part of "You must accept all forms of Paypal" do you people not get?? Ebay will side with the buyer EVERY SINGLE TIME if you start pulling shit like this.

Here's a clever idea - just a dollar or two more for shipping to cover the fees. Problem solved![/QUOTE]
wait read my post again, i edited it, how does that sound?

[quote name='mgsvr']I got a question guys. On the Paypal email payment I recieved:

Note:Tim Turi 1469 Crawford Ave. Falcon Heights MN, 55113

But on the Shipping Information, it written as "1468"

Damn, which one is more correct? I emailed the Buyer already but recieve no reply yet. This is my first time selling through Ebay, so help please. Which address do you guys usually ship to? The one on the Note or the one below the Shipping Information?[/QUOTE]

ALWAYS send to the confirmed address.

If you don't send to the confirmed address, you're screwed, as Paypal will side with the buyer every time.

Yea but even Paypal have it as Unconfirmed address.

So I'll wait for that Ebayer to reply me which one is correct. Damn it, 1469 or 1468...

[quote name='mgsvr']Yea but even Paypal have it as Unconfirmed address.

So I'll wait for that Ebayer to reply me which one is correct. Damn it, 1469 or 1468...[/QUOTE]

You're taking a huge gamble sending it to an unconfirmed address... all the buyer has to do is say "I never received the package" and you automatically lose in Paypal's eyes.

The fact that there are two different numbers should be a huge warning sign too.

I think you need to fire an email off to Paypal to get a second opinion.

[quote name='mkg12']what if you have a DC#?

if you accept cashier's check, or MO, there isn't a confirmed address[/QUOTE]

DC # dosen't matter, since the address isn't confirmed, so nobody knows if that's even the real address. I guarantee the buyer could say "Hey, what's the deal, I never received this", the DC # could say it was delivered, the buyer can still fake it that he never got it, and Paypal holds you responisble since the buyer's address never got confirmed. Yea, it sucks.

Basacially, just put in all your auctions that you ONLY ship to a Paypal confirmed address... problem solved. Someone has an unconfrimed address, then you can refuse to ship it to them based on the terms of your auctions.

Cashier's Check or MO's don't go through Paypal.

But I already recieved his money to my account. Now what should I do? Plus, I have checked some of his "previous purchase" and he does left feedback ie. Recieving it..etc to those items that I bought.

[quote name='mgsvr']But I already recieved his money to my account. Now what should I do? Plus, I have checked some of his "previous purchase" and he does left feedback ie. Recieving it..etc to those items that I bought.[/QUOTE]

At this point its up to you. Can either take the risk and send it and hope he dosen't screw you over or refund his money and not sell it to him, but since you probably didn't specify you only wanted confirmed addresses you are in a bit of a bind.

I still say you should email Paypal and get their opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back