Paypal Postage Problem

TheShepherdSauce

CAGiversary!
I'm sending out two games via First Class Mail. I weighed them first and they came out to 11.9 oz. Put down 12 oz. when I went to print out the postage on paypal, affixed the label, and then weighed again just to be sure. Now the damn thing is reading 12.1 oz., which bumps it up to the next weight class for first class mail. Is this a problem or do you think USPS would let it slide?

[quote name='TheShepherdSauce']I'm sending out two games via First Class Mail. I weighed them first and they came out to 11.9 oz. Put down 12 oz. when I went to print out the postage on paypal, affixed the label, and then weighed again just to be sure. Now the damn thing is reading 12.1 oz., which bumps it up to the next weight class for first class mail. Is this a problem or do you think USPS would let it slide?[/QUOTE]

It depends, I live in a small town where we know the post office personally (my family uses ebay more than a bit so we're constantly shipping) but from my personal experiences; unless you get the postal equivalent of the Soup Nazi that should be fine

I don't think you'll have any problems; I would only round up to 13 if it was at 12.5 ounces or heavier.

[quote name='ROB64']I don't think you'll have any problems; I would only round up to 13 if it was at 12.5 ounces or heavier.[/QUOTE]

If it is 12.01 or higher you should round up to 13 ounces as that is the rule.

OP you should be fine though. In theory even if they don't catch it when you drop of the package their is a small chance the sorting machines at the distribution center could catch it and send it back; either that or their could be "postage due" when your buyer receives it.

In instances like that I don't think they'd ever have a problem. Honestly I can think of quite a few instances that I weighed an item and it was at xx.9 or xx.8 ounces and after I affixed a label and more packing tape it was enough to bring it up to the next ounce.

I think they look more at instances like a package weighs 4lbs 2ounces and someone trying to fit it in as first class international where the cut off is clearly 4lbs and anything over four lbs internationally has to go Priority or Express; which is a big difference in pricing.

I used to round down if I was at 4.1oz until one day a buyer complained about owing $0.14 for their package. After that I started rounding up. It all depends on how strict people are.

It's a very busy season and the change of them actually checking weights in zero to none, you'll be fine. Usually, they won't care if you're a .1-.2 off, but after that, they will issue a postage due to the recipient.

[quote name='ShadowSx']As long as it's under 13oz they won't care, I've had that happen all the time.[/QUOTE]

Yes you are probably correct; I sell internationally and the difference between ounces on FCI mail can be $1.xx per ounce.

If you are selilng on eBay where your feedback and DSR's are important to your status I would just be careful. Your biggest issue would be having the package sent back to you which would increase the overall transit time or having the buyer receive the item with postage due. Either of those scenarios would result in unhappy buyers which equals low DSRs and poor feedback.

I'm not a "live by the rules" type of guy but I ship a lot and like USPS. If you are shipping things under 13 ounces or internationally it is by far the cheapest shipping method.

Saying it's not a big deal to cheat the USPS out of money is part of the reason why they are in a financial mess. I see people all the time try to pass off non flat rate boxes as flat rate, priority mail poly bags as flat rate envelopes, etc etc etc.

Everytime something like this happens the post office loses money. Multiply it by a million and you can see how they could potentially bleed out money.

You guys ever wonder if air has weight?

So, I pooped a couple of the bubbles at the corners of the bubble mailer and got it down to 12 oz. flat. Haha.

I remember sending a package through UPS that was $40 to ship and I accidentally weighed it at 50 lbs when it was really 100. It made it through fine.

If you are going to drop them off at the post office just take it to window and they can give you the official weight and if needed add the extra $.14 or so for the next ounce. They credit you for what you paid online and than charge the extra price for the one ounce difference. An added benefit is you get a departure scan as well which is nice.

Don't worry about it. They will mail it if it's over by a little bit. I've done this many times before.

[quote name='TheShepherdSauce']I'm sending out two games via First Class Mail. I weighed them first and they came out to 11.9 oz. Put down 12 oz. when I went to print out the postage on paypal, affixed the label, and then weighed again just to be sure. Now the damn thing is reading 12.1 oz., which bumps it up to the next weight class for first class mail. Is this a problem or do you think USPS would let it slide?[/QUOTE]

bread's done
Back