PayPal SCAM - Holy Crap this looks legit.

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I just got this email from PayPal.

I'm thinking it's not real because:

1. I certainly didn't authorize this transaction;
2. I don't have $195 in my PayPal account; and
3. I just logged in separately to my account and nothing is listed under recent activity

I imagine by clicking on the link to get you money back they are going to ask for all sorts of personal information. God these assholes are getting good - I could totally see my parents or someone falling for this.... I hope whoever is doing this dies a miserable, painful death.

...the thing that gets me is that this isnt really praying only on the stupid, its praying on those that would know any better (there is a difference). Damn them...

I don't think paypal has any dispute links in their emails, but I don't really remember. I guess you have to check that dispute link that they provided to see where it leads you.

[quote name='siamesellama']Check where the "dispute transaction" link takes you.[/QUOTE]

Too late, I deleted the email. I don't like clicking on strange links - especially ones that I know are BS...

[quote name='javeryh']Too late, I deleted the email. I don't like clicking on strange links - especially ones that I know are BS...[/QUOTE]
Yeah, never click the links.

It could be a trojan that harvests your PayPal login cookie.

[quote name='javeryh']Too late, I deleted the email. I don't like clicking on strange links - especially ones that I know are BS...[/QUOTE]

You don't need to actually visit the link. All you have to do is check the URL it leads to.

I get those all the time. Here are a couple of ways to know for sure.

1. Paypal will only address you by you actual name. Never "paypal member". The scammer has no idea what your name is so he has to be vauge.

2. Paypal would never ask you for your username or password. They own the database and can look at your password any time. Why would they need you to tell them?

3. Unless the link starts with www.paypal.com its a scam

4. Paypal almost always invites you to open a new browser and surf to www.paypal.com first. Looks like you did that anyway, not a bad way to go.

Forward all paypal scams to [email protected] or ebay scams to [email protected]. I get like 5 of these stupid phishing scams a week... its annoying. Especially when the subject line reads: Message regarding Ebay item number 23423422 or something. I usually think "Hey what did i order from ebay?" Wastes my time. Both sites actively persue these people and shut them down eventually.

The best thing to do is turn on "full headers" before you forward it. That way it lists all the extra information like the scammers email host, routing information and other misc. stuff.

[quote name='javeryh']I just got this email from PayPal.

I'm thinking it's not real because:

1. I certainly didn't authorize this transaction;
2. I don't have $195 in my PayPal account; and
3. I just logged in separately to my account and nothing is listed under recent activity

I imagine by clicking on the link to get you money back they are going to ask for all sorts of personal information. God these assholes are getting good - I could totally see my parents or someone falling for this.... I hope whoever is doing this dies a miserable, painful death.[/QUOTE]

Dude! I got the same e-mail over the weekend! I checked my Paypal account, and the transaction did not go through, nor was it attempted. DO NOT RESPOND TO E-MAILS LIKE THE ONE WE RECEIVED. When you do, you will be asked for your log-in and password. That's how these scamming bastards get legitimate account information and continue their evil ways.

I tried to report the e-mail to Paypal, but I was not able to cut and paste the document.

I don't think he was suggesting you click on it (although that could have been clearer). With most email clients, one can hover over a link to see the url attached to it.

I got this one a few days ago. It was clearly a scam because 1) valid Paypal emails don't put the amount in the email subject line (mine had "195 USD" in parentheses) and 2) valid Paypal emails don't have a "Dispute transaction" link.

[quote name='shieryda']Dude! I got the same e-mail over the weekend! I checked my Paypal account, and the transaction did not go through, nor was it attempted. DO NOT RESPOND TO E-MAILS LIKE THE ONE WE RECEIVED. When you do, you will be asked for your log-in and password. That's how these scamming bastards get legitimate account information and continue their evil ways.

I tried to report the e-mail to Paypal, but I was not able to cut and paste the document.[/QUOTE]

Dont wory about cut n paste. Just Forward the whole email. :)

[quote name='mrpotatohed']Forward all paypal scams to [email protected] or ebay scams to [email protected].

The best thing to do is turn on "full headers" before you forward it[/QUOTE]

That's what I do. Quick and easy.

The most important thing is to NEVER click on a link from an e-mail. Some companies still put links in their legit e-mails. (PayPal does this, which I think is seriously fucking stupid.) But never click them even if you think it is legit. So good move javery.

yeah, the scammers are getting better...I get a couple a day from paypal and ebay, and they are looking more and more legit

Yeah the phishers/scammers have come a long way from just putting a box that says "Paypal please verify account info click here Paypal". I remember laughing hard at that one.

[quote name='mrpotatohed'] The best thing to do is turn on "full headers" before you forward it. That way it lists all the extra information like the scammers email host, routing information and other misc. stuff.[/QUOTE]

As far as I know (keep in mind I've never written a mail server or client) "full headers" only affects what you see, not what you forward.

If you want to forward the whole thing, try to forward the original message as an attachment (depending on your mail client / provider, natch).

[quote name='eldad9']As far as I know (keep in mind I've never written a mail server or client) "full headers" only affects what you see, not what you forward.

If you want to forward the whole thing, try to forward the original message as an attachment (depending on your mail client / provider, natch).[/QUOTE]

I use Yahoo mail and once you click the link to see Full Headers and subsequently choose to Forward as inline text it does put the full headers in the message you are composing. At least it puts all the same stuff it showed me when I asked to see the full headers.

Well here is how ebay says to do it. Ebay and paypal are the same company right?

Report Suspicious Email to eBay

If you have received an email requesting your account information and you suspect it was not sent by eBay, forward the entire message to [email protected]. To do that, follow these steps:

In your email program, click the Forward button.
In the “To:” field, type [email protected]
Please do not change the subject line, add text, or forward the message as an attachment
Click Send to send the message to eBay
Forwarding the message in this manner will allow us to review the message headers and any other information that may be attached to the email. The [email protected] email address is reserved for handling reports of attempts to impersonate eBay. In order to investigate these reports in a timely manner, we can only accept forwarded messages at this address.

If you have already submitted information after receiving an email request and you suspect that your eBay account may have been tampered with, please refer to the information on Securing Your Account and review the steps on the Protecting Your Identity page.

This is what paypal says:

How do I report a fake PayPal email or website?

If you think you have received a fake email pretending to be from PayPal, forward the entire email to [email protected] and then delete it from your email account. If you came across a fake PayPal website, contact our Customer Service team.

To learn more about protecting your account and spotting fraudulent emails, please review our Security Tips.

I'm pretty sure they used to say include full headers but I can't find a link to it anywhere. I dunno any additional information can't hurt can it?

EDIT: I just recieved a spoof ebay phishing email like 5 minutes ago. I used bcc to send myself a copy while I reported it. Using hotmail, with full headers, the bcc email contained all of the routing info contained in the full header. So , for hotmail at least, full headers is included in your fwd. :D

I get about one of these emails a month.

When I do, I put my mouse over the Paypal "link" and laugh when it won't lead anywhere near Paypal.

Then, a little "Shift + Delete" and the message is gone.

[quote name='mrpotatohed']I get those all the time. Here are a couple of ways to know for sure.

1. Paypal will only address you by you actual name. Never "paypal member". The scammer has no idea what your name is so he has to be vauge.

2. Paypal would never ask you for your username or password. They own the database and can look at your password any time. Why would they need you to tell them?

3. Unless the link starts with www.paypal.com its a scam

4. Paypal almost always invites you to open a new browser and surf to www.paypal.com first. Looks like you did that anyway, not a bad way to go.

Forward all paypal scams to [email protected] or ebay scams to [email protected]. I get like 5 of these stupid phishing scams a week... its annoying. Especially when the subject line reads: Message regarding Ebay item number 23423422 or something. I usually think "Hey what did i order from ebay?" Wastes my time. Both sites actively persue these people and shut them down eventually.

The best thing to do is turn on "full headers" before you forward it. That way it lists all the extra information like the scammers email host, routing information and other misc. stuff.[/QUOTE]

This point cannot be emphasized enough. If the ebay email doesn't include your real name or username, or the paypal email does not have your real name, it's a scam. The end. Single easiest way to spot them.

I got an email like this the other day that said my PayPal account would be terminated in 24 hours if I didn't do something that involved giving out personal information.

Holy crap that look legit. I could easily see one falling for that if they deal with ebay/paypal frequently. Thanks for the heads up.

I always get it from a "[email protected]" address. I just head over to winfreestuff.com and sign them up for everything from walmart coupons to floral bouquets. I'm sure they enjoy the flower spam more than my personal info.

I got a PayPal e-mail the other day in my Hotmail account. I easily knew it was a SCAM because I've never used that Hotmail address anywhere on PayPal. Same thing with the eBay spoofs.

i got one of these today as well, except i tested it just to make sure it wasnt a scam,, and it was.

i typed in "ihaveabigpenis" and "gof***yourselffag" as the pass, then it was like "congratulations you have been picked to take out our survey" blabla your name will be entered in a contest etc. then it asked for my credit card number and stuff.

maybe i got lucky and guess ihaveabigpenis' password, but yeah.

dumb scammers.

[quote name='projecteightysix']i got one of these today as well, except i tested it just to make sure it wasnt a scam,, and it was.

i typed in "ihaveabigpenis" and "gof***yourselffag" as the pass, then it was like "congratulations you have been picked to take out our survey" blabla your name will be entered in a contest etc. then it asked for my credit card number and stuff.

maybe i got lucky and guess ihaveabigpenis' password, but yeah.

dumb scammers.[/QUOTE]

You found out my password... OMG

[quote name='allout1986']You found out my password... OMG[/QUOTE]
Hey! That's my password, too. But my username is ihaveamegamonsterpenis.

I got 5 or 6 of those last month. The joke here is that I had a PayPal account and got scammed 3 months ago so I shut it down. These idiots sent their crap to a user who no longer even has an account!? :roll:

I get like a couple of these a day... it's so friggin ignoring...

Who are da fuck are there idiots...???

I'll goin to forward everyone to paypal now...

bread's done
Back