Paypal screwed me! UPDATE MARCH.11 2008, A NEW COLLECTION AGENCY IS CALLING!

[quote name='hero101']mono is an actual disease? And my secret santa got it...? Good luck on those collection people.[/quote]

lol mononucleosis
It really sucks, I was sick really sick for a long time. It just sucks the life out of you

[quote name='magiic']I still can't believe they are trying for this money, with a different agency now no less.[/quote]

They're holding out for hope that you'll see the light and hand over money to a new company. This new company probably bought the bad debt from the old collections company for pennies on the dollar, which was already depreciated from when the former collections agency acquired it from Paypal. :-({|=

They'll likely continue for the next decade...after seven years in the US (again, not sure about Canada...) it's considered dead debt, but companies revive dead debt through a process called "zombie debt" collection. :roll:

If you acknowledge even once that you live at your residence or any hint of guilt about this account, they'll be all over you and the process can begin anew with a revitalized effort since all these calls are monitored (the legality of unannounced calls is another question.) It's best to let them keep leaving messages on your answering machine/voicemail.

Are these companies calling from Canada, US, or unknown?

I had a similar situation with a pentium processor I sold on ebay. The buyer claimed it was damaged. This was impossible considering that it was shipped in factory packaging. What the thief eventually returned was a burned processor and he kept the rest of the contents of the box. The box he returned was much lighter than the one he recieved. Anyway, long story short. I had to file a police report on him in order to recover my money from paypal. Every day they would close the claim for no reason and every other day I had to reopen it until it was resolved in my favor. I had to file with my local police and then fax that to paypal. They then denied the claim again. So I just kept calling and reappealing the case. Its probably too late now, but you could have eventually won if you were more persistant. I understand that was probably impossible because you were sick. Anyway, just wanted to share that it is possible to force paypal to do the right thing. It is a huge pain in the ass. My claim was only for about 70 dollars.

You need to check your credit and file that whatever claim they put on there is wrong so you can clean up your record. Your documentation should be enough to get it removed as wrong.

If you're the type of guy that wants ultimate revenge. Send the guy a package with some dog poop or barf or something, with obviously a different return address. Make sure its in a plastic baggie and some silica packs to take out the smell. I know I'd do it if someone tried scamming me.

Paypal sucks the cock! I got jipped a $200 cell phone that I sold, before I figured out what delivery confirmation was used for!

They didn't give a crap what I had to say... oops we're sorry, you have no proof of sending the package... even though i had the freakin receipt with the zip code of the d-bag!

Things like this just make me sick. Can't someone sue paypal for not being a reliable service, yet taking so much money!?! What has the world come to!

collections suck - we had one calling for a while, then we sent them a registered letter to tell them to knock it the fuck off or we'd pursue legal action against them. Calls stopped.

Debt was some dental insurance BS. We were told by everyone (dentist and insurance) we'd be 100% covered - then a month later we get a bill from dentist for $1000+. homey don't play that.

Holy crap this is still going on? I really hope you pull through. I like Pookeymister's ide.. of a threat that you would pursue legal action if they don't knock it off..

[quote name='Veronica Mars']:/

Did you get the ps3 for free?
You said you didn't lose any money....[/quote]

no he kept the ps3 and the money

oh man that totally sucks balls, sorry man for all that shit you've gone through. (Just dont answer the phone when the collection agency calls!)

Just read through this. That fucking sucks brother. Nothing worse than a sore ebay buyer. That dude is in the wrong. Real headache.

This is unacceptable, I would take this up to court immediately, he can't make a COD charge on an item you are returning, I don't see why paypal did this

I had forgotten about this thread, man did magiic take it up the ass hard on this one. Skimming this, did magiic ever actually call paypal or was this all done over email? I just couldn't see an actual person siding with the buyer with all this evidence if someone is screaming it over the phone.

I wouldn't ignore the collection agency, they can do real damage to your credit. Paypal sucks they'll do anything for buyers in order to avoid a lawsuit and whatnot.

I just read this thread the other night, and have to say that this is ridiculous.

I'd say get a lawyer, if you can afford it. If not, maybe we can take up a collection to help with fees? I'd be willing to donate a few bucks if it means PayPal gets fuck'd for their behavior.

I say you go to court with this. And best of all, if you win the case, you get your court costs back. And you'll probably win, as the court system isn't as fucked up as PayPal's policies.

Yea, probably run your case over with a lawyer, see what advice they give you and run with it.

In any case, you might be able to take Paypal to court and be a landmark case, hell, even a lawsuit.

They haven't called since that last call. I dont think they've fucked with my credit. I applied for a credit card and go one no problemo. Seems to have died off again it's been over a year and a half since the ebay shit first went down. Hopefully I'm in the clear.

Greets ppl, I thought I'd breath some new life into this thread.

I hope everything worked out for you in the end magiic , but I do have one question for you. Did you ever find out if this is being reported to the Credit Reporting Agencies? Is it showing up on your credit report?

The only reason I ask is because I'm in a similar situation. Sold a PSP overseas and the bum claims he never got it. Paypal makes my acct go in the red by -$145 and then a collection agency calls yesterday. ( All of this happened within 2 months, and while Canada Post is in the middle of invesitagating the claim that it was lost )

I am curious as to the status of this with the collection department. You can check your credit report with your new CC :D

btw, if it is on there I may be able to help you get it off. I've had to deal with this sh!t before, and it's not pretty, but doable. Feel free to PM me, or even e-mail.

-Pat

I think I got another call today. I got a call from 416-236-3147 which is located in Ontario and they asked for me by my full name. My dad told them they had the wrong number.

I don't know about your situation. I think my one saving grace is that I've neveracknowledged living here when they've called. Every call has been met with a "sorry wrong number".

I think that's pretty BS that they closed the case on you with CP investigating it.

This is why I would never sell a really high ticket item on eBay. I mostly deal in low-priced videya games and CDs, so the worst case is me losing a few bucks.

In all fairness I did not end up out any money I just wasted a lot of time (and I can't say my time is worth a boatload of money, or at least it was not back during this dispute as I would have been 16). The final score after that was Paypal was out the entire value presumably and the other guy got a refund and kept the PS3. The other possible scenario is the other guy got the PS3 and Paypal was unable to recover any funds.

[quote name='thelonepig']Zombie thread! Zombie thread![/QUOTE]

I would like to stress I merely linked it. I didn't revive it myself :bouncy:

[quote name='magiic']In all fairness I did not end up out any money I just wasted a lot of time (and I can't say my time is worth a boatload of money, or at least it was not back during this dispute as I would have been 16). The final score after that was Paypal was out the entire value presumably and the other guy got a refund and kept the PS3. The other possible scenario is the other guy got the PS3 and Paypal was unable to recover any funds.[/QUOTE]

I probably would have taken back the PS3 just to have the whole thing be done with.

bread's done
Back