PC brand reliability and a XNA question

Viva Las Vegas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Out of all the usual PC brands (Dell, HP, Compaq, etc) is there any that are considered more reliable? Or ones to just avoid?

I'm needing a new PC and also need a graphic card to try some XNA stuff. Any recommendations on that?

Don't tell me to build a PC, that is not what I'm looking for thanks.

Basically I want to buy a reliable PC and put in a proper graphics card for XNA. And do this on the cheap. From looking around I should be able to do this in the $600 range. Does that sound right? I'm not looking for any kind of powerhouse.

Thanks in advance!

Hey here is a rig that includes everything you need except the graphics card.

INTEL ROUTE ( more expensive / no difference otherwise imo )

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6327258&CatId=5205

And here is a graphics card that you said you needed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161334 ( this will do what you need it to do easily :D )

TOTAL :
before rebates 559.98
after rebates 519.98

AMD ROUTE ( cheaper / no difference otherwise imo )

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7108910&CatId=332

And here is a graphics card that you said you needed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161334 ( this will do what you need it to do easily :D )

TOTAL :

Before Rebates : 490.98
After Rebates : 450.98

I AM NOT A COMPUTER PROFESSIONAL SO PLEASE GET ATLEAST A FEW CAG'S TO CHECK TO SEE IF THESE WILL WORK 100% . AND ALSO YOU MAY NOT EVEN NEED ALL THE POWER OF A 5670 SO THIS MUCH CHEAPER CARD COULD WORK FOR YOU ONLY $20 AFTER REBATE !!! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...102907&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-14-102-907-_-Product

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']I'm needing a new PC and also need a graphic card to try some XNA stuff. Any recommendations on that? [/QUOTE]

Depends on what you're doing. If you want to do 2D graphics only, just about any rig should handle it with > 1gb of RAM and a dual core processor, as well as a graphics card with DX8 and Pixel Shader 2.0. If you're wanting 3D graphics, you'll need at least a DX9 card.

Do you intend to do any serious gaming?

As far as XNA goes, I'd probably like to have all options available to me 2d/3d wise so I'd go for the minimum Dx9.

As far as PC gaming, I'm a lifelong console only player. But I would like to dig into some of the genre's really missing from consoles (strategy, etc). This would be only a secondary benefit to me and I'd probably play PC games that aren't the cutting edge.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Out of all the usual PC brands (Dell, HP, Compaq, etc) is there any that are considered more reliable? Or ones to just avoid?[/QUOTE]

Most PC enthusiast would such you stay away from all brands and get into building your own rig.

It's cheaper, your machine will usually be more powerful and more reliable.

All major brands have some flaw/con. Most PC enthusiast would rather cut out those flaws by building their own rig and dealing directly with the manufacturers of the device they like.

Some will say contrary and that X brand has never failed them but they are in the minority because you can throw a stone and hit major flaws and customer service issues with all major brands.

Hydro2Oxide gave you some great advice. When it comes to 2D games most games can run on anything from a Netbook to an aging (10 year or older) PC. So long as the OS is updated (XP or higher for Windows machines), Direct X is 9.0 (again Windows) or higher and you have adequate memory.

Since you already stated you are coming from a consoler stand point you may want to use your console gamepad and/or purchase a game pad to play some PC games with a control scheme your more your accustomed to.

If you looking for strategy games the mouse and KB will be the way to go - though some RTS games can be made to run with a gamepad.

Thanks for the input. Maybe I will look into building one. How hard is it? I guess I can google it. Just thought I'd get some CAG's opinions. Thanks again.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Thanks for the input. Maybe I will look into building one. How hard is it? I guess I can google it. Just thought I'd get some CAG's opinions. Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

Super easy, built my first when I was aboot 14 or so, all the instructions usually come with the mother board and its 90% plug this in to this, with some screws here and there.

This probably sounds really dumb. I assume once I build it I need to also buy Windows 7 to install my os. Is what iKilledChewbacca recomended all I need to build it? Anything that a complete newb should know, don't assume I have any idea what I am doing : )

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']This probably sounds really dumb. I assume once I build it I need to also buy Windows 7 to install my os. Is what iKilledChewbacca recomended all I need to build it? Anything that a complete newb should know, don't assume I have any idea what I am doing : )[/QUOTE]

This link has more vets and links to spots that can better help you - http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226363

Im going a different route here... Unless you WANT to build a PC and think you'll ENJOY it, you'll be wasting your time. The web is a horrible place to ask, ironically. Ive been building computers since before the PC era and I never encourage anyone to do it unless they WANT to.

Its like asking "should I change my own oil?" Zealots will say HELL YEAH! I say "do you WANT to?"

There is NO SHAME in not wanting to pour time into this hobby and if people are being honest, it isnt necessarily that easy.

If you buy an actual brand computer you will have support and you will have the benefit of pre-integration and parts that work. This is why Apple continues to capture more and more and more market share, btw.

There are a ton of options across the spectrum for pre-built computers. There is a lot more than just HP and Dell. There are boutique builders, some of whom will even build really hardcore rigs, and there are also solid OEMs that build decent stuff at a higher value like Acer, Asus and even Gateway.

Everyone will crap on that... But realistically, these OEMs all sell millions of units and the WORST of them have like 80%+ happy customers. And thats the WORST of them.

In reality, most people who build spend more time tweaking and jerking around than USING the computer, but they dont admit it for some odd reason. Ill admit it. I spend a TON of time tweaking my gaming PC... Because thats what I like to do.

When I have to do work for my actual day job (which is architecting service provider and financial services scale data centers) I use a laptop that requires zero headaches (currently a Mac)

You need to do what you REALLY want to do man...

Now if deep down inside you WANT the challenge of building a rig, then by all means hit that thread. There is great info in it.

[quote name='mlambert890']In reality, most people who build spend more time tweaking and jerking around than USING the computer, but they dont admit it for some odd reason. Ill admit it. I spend a TON of time tweaking my gaming PC... Because thats what I like to do. [/QUOTE]

Not everyone that builds their own PC goes HARDCORE and worrying about .01% performance and frames. Those that do are 'wasting' their time if they are doing that for gaming since you won't be able to notice it as a human. You touched upon this by saying most but there are multiple roads to take when you get into building PCs.

It's 'do you want to' and 'can you afford to.' Building is usually cheaper but time needed to get up and running is another issue of 'cost.'

bread's done
Back