PC cooling fan question (for the electronically inclined)

Terabyte7

CAGiversary!
Feedback
87 (100%)
Does anyone know how I would go about hardwiring a PC cooling fan into an AC power cord (or AC adapter) to plug it into the wall directly?

what's your intended purpose? You may be able to find a small a/c fan for cheap at walmart/dollar store/drug store that serves your purpose. I have one in my entertainment cabinet hooked up to the a/c switch on my receiver blowing air through my receiver's vents to keep it cool. It is probably somewhere around 90mm but a bit thicker at about 1.5-2 inches - has two speeds - much more powerful and is surprisingly quiet.

They do have adapters that you can use to connect the internal PC connector to a wall adapter (so that you don't destroy the connector/wall adapter in the process), but a fan should be easy if you want to just wire that fucker. Should just be a positive and negative - cut the connectors off the fan and the proper voltage adapter (I think it would be 5V if you're talking a standard 4-pin molex running off the red and black, can't just wire it to a plug, that would definitely fuck it up), then wire em together. Can't fuck it up (provided it's the proper voltage), how you wire the positive and negative should just determine which way the motor spins the fan, but otherwise shouldn't matter.

But I've never done it, so that's all theoretical on my end :p.

Unless you've got a spare adapter around to fuck around with though, I'd probably just buy one that's made to use the PC connector.

God dammit I've really gotta get a handle on my fucks.

[quote name='Terabyte7']Does anyone know how I would go about hardwiring a PC cooling fan into an AC power cord (or AC adapter) to plug it into the wall directly?[/QUOTE]

Cut and join the wires. On a fan, particularly the smaller ones, polarity shouldn't matter. It'll just spin the wrong way if you wire it backwards. Make sure your use the right voltage, as an earlier poster said, and that you're using a DC adapter. Fires suck.

unless you're trying to cool off a room the size of the inside of a computer case, i'm not seeing the point.

[quote name='shrike4242']Are you talking about an external fan or an internal fan?[/QUOTE]

It's an internal fan that I intend to use externally on something else. Basically I already have a cooling fan that I installed in the back of my entertainment center to help pull away the excess heat generated by my PS3. But that fan came out of a display and started out wired with an AC plug, and it's too loud. I bought one that I intended to replace it with, but it has the standard 4-pin PC plug, and I wasn't sure what to connect to what to make it work safely.

[quote name='SpazX']They do have adapters that you can use to connect the internal PC connector to a wall adapter (so that you don't destroy the connector/wall adapter in the process), but a fan should be easy if you want to just wire that fucker. Should just be a positive and negative - cut the connectors off the fan and the proper voltage adapter (I think it would be 5V if you're talking a standard 4-pin molex running off the red and black, can't just wire it to a plug, that would definitely fuck it up), then wire em together. Can't fuck it up (provided it's the proper voltage), how you wire the positive and negative should just determine which way the motor spins the fan, but otherwise shouldn't matter.

But I've never done it, so that's all theoretical on my end :p.

Unless you've got a spare adapter around to fuck around with though, I'd probably just buy one that's made to use the PC connector.

God dammit I've really gotta get a handle on my fucks.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it has 3 wires coming out of it, but it is one of the fans that has LEDs built into them. It has a red and black wire that I am fairly certain power the fan, and a third white wire that has a different connector on it that either powers the LEDs or could perhaps connects to some sort of temperature sensor or thermostat? And the packaging does say that it's a 12V DC fan, so I guess I'll look for a 12V DC Adapter to connect it to.

So since its to pull heat away from the ps3 couldn't you just wire it to a usb plug and let the ps3 power it?

[quote name='Cracka']So since its to pull heat away from the ps3 couldn't you just wire it to a usb plug and let the ps3 power it?[/QUOTE]

Well, my Wii is in the same compartment of the cabinet, and I already have the other fan (that's too loud) wired to an electrical switch so that I can turn it on whenever I need it. Also, after checking the link provided in a previous post about connecting the fan to a USB cable, several people posted that the USB connection couldn't provide enough power to run the fan adaquately. Having it turn on whenever I turn the PS3 on sounds like a pretty good idea, but I really only need it when I plan on playing for a fair amount of time, and I don't always have that opportunity. I'll just try to wire the thing into an AC adapter and run it that way. I did want to thank everyone for reponding to this question...I didn't really think I'd get much of a response, but you've all been great. :D

[quote name='Terabyte7']Where would one find such a thing?[/QUOTE]
Probably the same place that would have your fan.

Amazon's got one, don't know where to find stuff for the UK though.

[quote name='dafoomie']Probably the same place that would have your fan.

Amazon's got one, don't know where to find stuff for the UK though.[/QUOTE]

I don't live in the UK...that's just the first site I clicked on when I did a search for the model number of the fan. I got the fan from Best Buy...but if Amazon carries them, I'll try there or one of the internet computer parts websites. :)

You would need some sort of converter to do this. (Maybe as dafoomie suggested.) All PC parts (except for the sound card) use DC power, so you couldn't just wire up an AC cord. You need some sort of AC to DC converter.

It looks to be powered by +5Vdc, that means your options are limited. However, I could be wrong and the few pics I've seen looked like ass, so...

Tell me which of the two holes, from the picture below, is occupied by pins.

molex_4p.gif

If it's the first two, it's run off of +12Vdc, and you might like to try this:
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556088776.html

If it's the last two, then it's +5Vdc, and maybe try this:
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556087885.html

A quick caveat: I've never used this company. So I can't tell the quality of product or service.

Now, If you want to say fuck it and just buy a cheap new or used converter (not a charger, those are generally trickle), then remember that pin 1 (yellow above) it +12V, pin 4 (red) is +5V, and the center two are GND. And please, for the love of all that's Holy, don't crimp (or splice with electrical tape) the connections.

bread's done
Back