PC freezing issue; more RAM a probable solution?

2Fast

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
For a while now I have had an issue with my PC freezing intermittently and was wondering if this is because I do not have enough RAM. I have no spyware/viruses and no other outstanding issues (harddrive space is fine, etc.).

I only have 256MB of RAM, is that likely the problem? If I threw another 256 in there, would that help?

I can provide more information if needed.

I only have 256MB of RAM, is that likely the problem? If I threw another 256 in there, would that help?

You're computer is probably using up all of the 256MB, no doubt there. That shouldn't be causing the computer to freeze or crash. Then the computer runs out of RAM, it jumps to the hard drive and uses virtual memory, which is really just hard drive space. This is thousands of times slower then RAM, but your computer should chug on. If you are using windows XP, then the memory jumping from RAM to HDD is very smooth, if you are using 95/98/ME, then you might want to look up how to change virtual memory settings in your OS and increase the size of the virtual memory page on the hard drive. If you hard drive is almost full and your computer runs out of RAM and it can't make enough room on the hard drive then the computer WILL crash, no question about it. Increasing from 256 will make the computer fast, but it may not be what is causing the computer to crash.

What exactly are you doing when it freezes? Burning a DVD, playing a game, surfing, scanning, all of the above?
Does it happen consistently with one activity? Like, can you reproduce it?

It doesn't matter what I do, it just freezes whenever. It could happen when I first turn on the computer, browsing the internet, or whatever. I can't reproduce it.

[quote name='vitaminbmeister']Has it been struck by lightening in the past?[/quote]
Nope.

I've had this computer for almost two and a half years, and it has run perfectly except for this.

EDIT: How do I check my HDD space in XP? It's been a while and I can't remember how to.

Sounds like bad ram. Run Memtest and see if you get any errors. If Memtest runs clean, run chkdsk on your hard drive.

[quote name='spidey']Sounds like bad ram. Run Memtest and see if you get any errors. If Memtest runs clean, run chkdsk on your hard drive.[/quote]

Would you mind giving me a short tutorial, I'm not really too good with computers.

Download Memtest+ from here:
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Use the floppy option if you have a floppy installed. Boot Memtest+, if on a floppy, it should do it automatically when you start the computer. It goes to a old DOS style blue colored screen and the tests start automatically. Look at the errors section while the test runs. Let the test run completely. If you have any errors, you've found the culprit. It's your RAM. If there are no errors, run chkdsk by doing the following:

1) Boot into windows
2) Go to your start menu, click on "Run..."
3) Type in "command" and hit enter
4) Another screen pops up. Type in "chkdsk" (no quotations).

It should tell you if your hard drive has errors.

[quote name='spidey']Download Memtest+ from here:
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Use the floppy option if you have a floppy installed. Boot Memtest+, if on a floppy, it should do it automatically when you start the computer. It goes to a old DOS style blue colored screen and the tests start automatically. Look at the errors section while the test runs. Let the test run completely. If you have any errors, you've found the culprit. It's your RAM. If there are no errors, run chkdsk by doing the following:

1) Boot into windows
2) Go to your start menu, click on "Run..."
3) Type in "command" and hit enter
4) Another screen pops up. Type in "chkdsk" (no quotations).

It should tell you if your hard drive has errors.[/quote]

Thanks a bunch!

This is def. a ram issue. Had the same problem after upgrading from 2000 to xp on a comp w/ only 256 mb of ram. Added a 256 stick and no more bsods. Get another stick and you'll be good.

[quote name='2Fast']Thanks a bunch![/quote]
Hmm, it went too fast for me to see if there are any errors with my RAM, running chkdsk now.

EDIT: Everything is going much faster now, now to wait and see if the freezing stops.

more ram is a plus... but having a clean computer is best. Starting fresh from a Format is best and dont install ANYTHING you dont need. Run the standard Windows theme (the xp theme usese up alot of ram) and keep your proccess's below 30.. its a discipline but you will thank your self

my computer hasnt frozen ONCE and i am not lying. i built it my self and just take good care of it with routine maintance like defrags ect.

bread's done
Back