PC Freezing Issues

RichMeisterMan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Ok, so my bro built me a PC and everything runs pretty well.

However, it's subjected to some what frequent sound looping lock ups and just straight up lock ups. Usually I can just wait it out, but it's annoying as fuck.

Anyone know what the hell could be to blame? My brother thinks it's an issue with ram timings or some shit, but I can't seem to find anything that would give me the correct timings for that stuff. I got some info on some timings that should be good to go and shit got real wonkey so I just went in and switched it back to automatic or whatever it was on before.

So if I could get some help fixing this problem or if someone could point me to a utility to help me solve the problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Try removing sticks of RAM one at a time and seeing if the problem stops. I honestly don't know what this could be, I'm just throwing out troubleshooting tips.

Go back into your BIOS and find a "reset to default settings" or similar option. Try rolling back/updating drivers for your sound and video cards. After that, without any clues, you're stuck with removing devices until the problem stops.

Ok, well before I go for a total PC rebuild. Would simply changing the slots the RAM is currently in possibly solve the issue? You know I'd like to check the most simple things first. I'll check the bios and what not, but I use the tools ASUS provides for the bios update, and I just can't imagine it doing me wrong, but crazier things have happened I guess.

I really appreciate the suggestions guys. It's so annoying to be playing a game or something and have it interrupted with crap like that.

When does it lock up? Randomly? During gaming? Watching movies? Have you checked your Event Viewer to see what's going on?

What are your specs?

1. Scratch your head.
  2. Grab a cold beverage.
  3. Check your RAM Slots. If you have 4 RAM slots, make sure that your RAM is in Slots 1 and 2, not 1 and 3 or 1 and 4.
  4. Tell me your specs. Your Power Supply may not be quite enough.
  5. Go to BIOS and reset to default settings.
  6. Install all drivers from your Motherboard CD.​

Do those things and then we will be getting somewhere.

Ok so I switched the ram slots and so far so good, but I haven't really played any games or pushed my machine to the limits. I also reset my bios to default settings.

My Specs
MOBO: ASUS P5N-D
Power Supply: 700 watts
Processor: Intel Core 2 duo E7500 Wolfdale 2.93 Ghz
RAM: 4 gigs of Gskill DDR2 1066
Video Card: EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512mb

You could try Memtest86 (at memtest86.com) to check the ram chips for any problems. They have a bootable .iso file that can be burned to disk that will start up the program for you on a reboot. Let that run for a few passes (it will take quite a while, so plan on watching a movie or two while you let it do it's thing.) If it fails at any point, one or more of your ram chips may be bad/defective, and if all tests pass multiple runs, then you can feel comfortable that it's not your ram causing the problem.

If it's not your ram, then make sure you're running the latest drivers for all your devices, and that your power supply is powerful enough for your video card, and all your other installed devices (you can find power supply calculators online to get an idea of just how much power your entire system needs).

You may also want to check the way the power is run inside your computer, and try to make sure that none of the connectors that are on the same wire bundle as the one used for your video card, are plugged into any other devices (like hard drives, optical drives, etc.)

These are just a few ideas I'm throwing out there that you can try. They may or may not resolve your issue, but are fairly common troubleshooting procedures when trying to track down the source of a recurring crash/lockup.

Good luck, I hope you figure out the source of your crashes and are able to fix them promptly and permenantly. :)

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Ok so I switched the ram slots and so far so good, but I haven't really played any games or pushed my machine to the limits. I also reset my bios to default settings.[/QUOTE]

Well than it looks like I'm a goddamn genius. I take payment in sexual favors and exotic candies.

bread's done
Back