PC Game Intros Way Louder than Games - Any Fix?

DrowVampyre

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
Ok, this is something that's been annoying the hell out of me for awhile. Why are the intro parts, the publisher screen and Nvidia screen and whatnot before the menu, so much louder than the rest of the game regardless of what I do to the volume? And sometimes the cutscenes too, but not always.

More importantly...is there any way to drop their volume? It's really annoying on some games, where you can't skip those screens. For reference, I generally have my sound settings at 10% or less on my games (if my master volume was that low all the system sounds and whatnot would be all but inaudible even at max), so this is a huge jump in volume (to the point of making my ears hurt and ring, in some cases >_

Alt+tab out of the game and go into your volume control and turn the game's volume down to like 25%. That's what I do for just about all my games. I'll then just turn the sound up in the game's options.

Is there a way to do that for all games, or do you have to do it for each one?

Or for that matter, to make it so your master volume is, say, 50%, but each program defaults to 25% and you can manually adjust it up?

The only game I can ever recall that did that was UT2k4 a while back.

Not sure what kind of KB you have but if you can control your volume I suggest hitting mute until the intro scene is over. UT2k4 patched itself later so that you could disable the intro and even later adjusted the volume.

Also, some games allow you to disable the intros or have some way to configure the game to kill the intro.

[quote name='Megazell']The only game I can ever recall that did that was UT2k4 a while back.

Not sure what kind of KB you have but if you can control your volume I suggest hitting mute until the intro scene is over. UT2k4 patched itself later so that you could disable the intro and even later adjusted the volume.

Also, some games allow you to disable the intros or have some way to configure the game to kill the intro.[/QUOTE]

Quite a few do it...most recently Borderlands, which i just started playing today. And my keyboard doesn't have a mute key, unfortunately.

See, the thing is, I like to see the movies, if there's actually a movie and not just the company's logo or something. It just kills my ears, and I can't fathom why they do that with the volume. -_-

Does anyone know of a way to change the volume mixer volume of programs by default, so that it's lower than the master volume setting? That'd work too...I'm really hoping I don't have to do this with every program, cause that'd be...a pain...

[quote name='DrowVampyre']Quite a few do it...most recently Borderlands, which i just started playing today. And my keyboard doesn't have a mute key, unfortunately.

See, the thing is, I like to see the movies, if there's actually a movie and not just the company's logo or something. It just kills my ears, and I can't fathom why they do that with the volume. -_-

Does anyone know of a way to change the volume mixer volume of programs by default, so that it's lower than the master volume setting? That'd work too...I'm really hoping I don't have to do this with every program, cause that'd be...a pain...[/QUOTE]

Get rid of the borderlands one, I don't have the info off the top of my head but it's a quick config change. That shit is obnoxious.

There was an easy fix to this in a recent issue of either PC Gamer or Maximum PC. For a lot of games, you can just delete the intro files to never have to see them again. Lemme see if I can find it.

bread's done
Back