PC game suggestions..

psychobuck

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hey guys,
I just started playing my first ever PC game this year. Someone got me absolutely hooked on WOW. I was just curious of anyone could recommend any other PC games out there that are anywhere near as good as WOW. Similar gameplay etc. Are any of the Star Wars games worthwhile, like Galaxies? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Also, what websites are good for buying PC games from?
Thanks!
Buck

Help us help you. Please fill out our game-finder-o-matic CAG style (do so in triplicate).

Do you have friends (multiplayer)?
Do you want multiplayer online?
Massively multiplayer online with role playing (like World of Warcraft)?
Sports?
Do you like running the world from your seat of power?
Do you like economics?
War?
War between civilizations?
Wars involving you as a single member of a team?
Wars involving you shooting people with your mouse cursor?
Do you like ninjas?
Pirates?
Do you like the idea of watching people take the subway that you built?
Do you like goals?
Do you like running around randomly completing goals?
Do you like selling drugs (this is not real, kids. Don't try it at home... well, don't try it away from the computer screen)?
Do you like investing a metric assload of time in a game?
Do you want a 10 min time waster?
Do you like realistic, or cute cartoony, or both?

That'll help get us started.

Yeah yeah. Those are all good questions but really, the answer is Team Fortress 2. The answer is always Team Fortress 2. It's the new 42.

You like to help get the job done but are afraid you can't stand toe to toe with other online players? Medic.

Just want to rip people apart with a huge gun? Heavy.

Like to get hopped up on coke and run around like a maniac? Scout.

Like to sit back keep the base secure while everyone runs in and dies? Engineer

Like to sneak in, stab someone in the back and destroy the enemy defenses before capturing their flag? Spy.

And that's only half of what this game offers. It looks great, has a fast pace so that you'll never be waiting 20 minutes for the ass kicking to stop, and offers 9 classes that each have their own style of play and work together to make a great team.

This game is also very easy for beginners. When you die just take a look at the "Tip" message at the bottom of the screen and it gives class specific and overall tips on how to play the game.

I have an unabashed crush on this game. You can get in now with the Orange Box or get it by itself after the 10th.

I played Galaxies when it first came out and hated it. They revamped the entire gameplay at one point, so I'm not sure what it's like now.

I'm surprised you have enough time for another game if you are playing WOW.

I've read the Lord of the Rings game was pretty good, and similar to WOW, you might also want to give Guild Wars a try.

I've heard nothing but terrible things about Star Wars Galaxies. As a rule of thumb, Sony Online Entertainment games suck balls thanks to SOE's legendary ineptitude.

PlanetSide and Infantry Online, once great games, were eventually ruined by SOE. GG

Well, I only buy games that I love, so heres a list of the games I have and thus, recommend.

Battlefield 2
BioShock
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic (multiplayer is awesome)
Deus Ex: Invisible War (lots of haters on this one but I love it)
Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Far Cry
Guild Wars (all of them)
Indigo Prophecy
Oblivion
Star Craft
Titan Quest
Unreal Tournament 2004
WarCraft III (only for the single player and custom multiplayer maps like DoTA)

No matter what grenres you prefer, go find Fallout or Fallout 2 and have fun! (I recommend blowing up hookers with an RPG while under the influence :>) They are older games, but great ones.

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']I still play Battlefield 1942. But I'm insane.[/quote]

Playing awesome, if slightly outdated, games doesn't make one insane. I have yet to see a game match the intense aerial combat of BF42's Coral Sea or Battle of Britain maps.

F.E.A.R And Expansions
S.T.A.L.K.E.R
SWAT 4
Bioshock
Battlefield 2
Guild Wars
Star Craft
Age of the Empires 2 and 3
Far Cry
Brothers in Arms
Deus Ex and Deus Ex Invisible War(Great Game despite the haters)
Half life 2
Halo 1 and 2
Star Wars Empire at War
Star Wars Jedi Knight Outcast
Titan Quest
Star Wars Knights of the old republic 1 and 2
XII

And I could(and will) list more sometime.

Anachronox and Planescape:Torment are GREAT if you're a RPG gamer and can handle older games.

All Bioware games are good.

[quote name='darthbudge']F.E.A.R And Expansions
S.T.A.L.K.E.R
SWAT 4
Bioshock
Battlefield 2
Guild Wars
Star Craft
Age of the Empires 2 and 3
Far Cry
Brothers in Arms
Deus Ex and Deus Ex Invisible War(Great Game despite the haters)
Half life 2
Halo 1 and 2
Star Wars Empire at War
Star Wars Jedi Knight Outcast
Titan Quest
Star Wars Knights of the old republic 1 and 2
XII

And I could(and will) list more sometime.[/QUOTE]
I like this list, plus I would add Rise of Nations 1 and 2.

Galaxies was absolutely terrible. What a dissapointment.

If you like MMO's then I would say you are already fine with WoW. There is so much content up to level 70 and no other MMO really compares.

bread's done
Back