PC Gaming Video Card Question

krashhole

CAGiversary!
Feedback
114 (100%)
I have never been real big on PC gaming. But due to having several friends into it, I have started to venture into it more. I just signed up for a Steam account yesterday :applause: So anyhow, here is my current setup.

HP Desktop. I changed the motherboard/processor out in Dec 2010.

I am using a MSI G41TM-E43 motherboard
Intel dual core processor (can't remember the model)
2gb of DDR2 ram (expandable to 8gb)

I know I need a better Video Card, but I'm not 100% sure on what to get. I need something inexpensive, but yet works good. I called MSI and the tech said that this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127666 was a good card for the price. Now, I'm not doubting him, but I just wanted to get some opinions from the guys here that are into gaming.

Far as my processor, am I OK to stick with it?

If I go with that card, do I need to change out my power supply? It's stock and is rated at 250watts max output.

You're gonna need a new computer. Getting that card would be pointless when your computer seems really really outdated.

I'd stick with console gaming if I were you.

[quote name='shosh']You're gonna need a new computer. Getting that card would be pointless when your computer seems really really outdated.

I'd stick with console gaming if I were you.[/QUOTE]How is it really really outdated? The board/processor aren't even 2 years old yet. Buying a new computer is out of the question, so I will have to make due with what I have and just upgrade it.

What Shosh was trying to say is that your motherboard will still be limiting your PC in terms of gaming.

Think in the terms of having a honda civic and putting a BMW M3 engine in it. You can get it to drive, but compared to a car designed for the engine (the BMW M3) the performance will be lacking.

As what pacifickarma said, RAM is cheap, so buy that up and while the radeon 7770 is a great choice as a GPU, there is still a lot of information that we need to know to help you out.

But first, there is a thread for this: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226363

There is a lot of great information in there that may answer your questions. In my opinion, start fresh and make your own new PC. Nobody wants a Frankenstein mismash of parts PC, you want a clean oiled transformer that is ready to rock :)

[quote name='krashhole']How is it really really outdated? The board/processor aren't even 2 years old yet. Buying a new computer is out of the question, so I will have to make due with what I have and just upgrade it.[/QUOTE]

you got ddr2 ram, which is only half the speed of todays ddr3 ram.
So you're going to need to upgrade your motherboard right there.

second you stated you got a premanufactured hp desktop. So there is a good possibility that its either a custom form factor (which they do to scam you into using their support) or its going to be a small - mid form factor, in which you're might not be able to fit the video card. So most likely you're going to need a new case.
dual core processor? You might get away with it, but you didnt state what kind of processor nor did you state the speed. But im going out on a limb and say you probably need one, but that depends on what kind of game you want to play.

Oh then there is the psu. You're probably going to need at least 500 watts to run a even half decent card.

so that's pretty much a brand new PC right there.
It doesnt matter if you bought parts 2 years ago. If they werent able to game in the first place, they aren't going to game now. Unless you want to run solitare or play some console ports with horrible jaggies and really low resolution, you're going to spend quite a bit. I honestly dont see you being able to reuse much parts other than the hard drive and dvd drives.

So stick with console gaming was my suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would definitely need more information on your PC, but tomshardware shows this video card as the best bang for you buck at that price point. They also just did some pc builds at different points of $500-2000. With your build now you will be limited but you may also be able to play some games at low settings.

Thanks pacifickarma and j-cart.

Those are the kind of answers and replies I need. Not "you need a new PC" Obviously if I had the money for a new PC, I wouldn't be asking questions about upgrading my old one. I'm not looking into heavy gaming so that's why I don't want to do a full overhaul. I can run some games now, just not many, and they have to be at a lower resolution or speed? I forget exactly what some of the settings are. My PC is hooked up to a 32" LCD via HDMI. I will read some more into that thread and see what I can make out of it. Again, Thanks.

[quote name='krashhole']Thanks pacifickarma and j-cart.

Those are the kind of answers and replies I need. Not "you need a new PC" Obviously if I had the money for a new PC, I wouldn't be asking questions about upgrading my old one. I'm not looking into heavy gaming so that's why I don't want to do a full overhaul. I can run some games now, just not many, and they have to be at a lower resolution or speed? I forget exactly what some of the settings are. My PC is hooked up to a 32" LCD via HDMI. I will read some more into that thread and see what I can make out of it. Again, Thanks.
[/QUOTE]

well that kinda stupid. I made plenty of talking points as to why you need a new pc. Just because they are things you dont want to hear doesnt mean it isn't sound advice. And really, Im trying to keep you from wasting your money.

You're not going to be able to convert a regular PC into a gaming PC just by throwing a GFX card into it. Thats not how it works.

No offense, but because you bought something 2 years ago doesn't mean it's only two years old. Three years ago, you got a low-ish tiered PC. Your processor is from early 2007, for example. It's almost 6 years old. Your RAM, at best, is from 2006. Your motherboard supports PCIe 1.1, and I believe. I don't think you can even use the card you linked.

Sorry to say, you really would be wasting your money upgrading it.

[quote name='shosh']you got ddr2 ram, which is only half the speed of todays ddr3 ram.
So you're going to need to upgrade your motherboard right there.

second you stated you got a premanufactured hp desktop. So there is a good possibility that its either a custom form factor (which they do to scam you into using their support) or its going to be a small - mid form factor, in which you're might not be able to fit the video card. So most likely you're going to need a new case.
dual core processor? You might get away with it, but you didnt state what kind of processor nor did you state the speed. But im going out on a limb and say you probably need one, but that depends on what kind of game you want to play.

Oh then there is the psu. You're probably going to need at least 500 watts to run a even half decent card.

so that's pretty much a brand new PC right there.
It doesnt matter if you bought parts 2 years ago. If they werent able to game in the first place, they aren't going to game now. Unless you want to run solitare or play some console ports with horrible jaggies and really low resolution, you're going to spend quite a bit. I honestly dont see you being able to reuse much parts other than the hard drive and dvd drives.

So stick with console gaming was my suggestion.[/QUOTE]The board I have now can support DDR2 or DDR3. I had already bought the DDR2 so I stuck with it. The case, I'm not too sure about. It's a HP a1020n. The processor is a Intel E3300 2.5ghz. I can pick up a 550 watt power supply for $40. I understand what you are saying. But again, I am not looking into heavy gaming. Just want something a little better than what I have currently.

Also, here is the link to the board I have http://www.msi.com/product/mb/G41M-E43.html#/?div=Basic

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

[quote name='krashhole']The board I have now can support DDR2 or DDR3. I had already bought the DDR2 so I stuck with it. The case, I'm not too sure about. It's a HP a1020n. The processor is a Intel E3300 2.5ghz. I can pick up a 550 watt power supply for $40. I understand what you are saying. But again, I am not looking into heavy gaming. Just want something a little better than what I have currently.

Also, here is the link to the board I have http://www.msi.com/product/mb/G41M-E43.html#/?div=Basic

Thanks for all of the suggestions![/QUOTE]

your board doesnt, as you referenced the wrong board in your link. your link only does ddr3, so you having ddr2 means thats not your board.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/G41TM-E43.html

its rare that boards support both ddr2/3, as its a really pointless added costs to manufacturers.

And this isn't just for heavy gaming, its mid level meaningful gaming. from the looks of it, your going to spend 150 bucks or more for the very end of the spectrum low rez gaming. is that what you really want?

but if you want to ignore my advice and simply write me off as some "build a new pc" jerk. go ahead. I tried. if you want to go with the advice of people who tell you what you want to hear, but totally wrong advice, go ahead. it just makes you seem ungrateful.

edit: and as elessar point out, the card wont even work on your board. so theres that. now there is no way for you to upgrade to a gaming machine at all.

[quote name='elessar123']No offense, but because you bought something 2 years ago doesn't mean it's only two years old. Three years ago, you got a low-ish tiered PC. Your processor is from early 2007, for example. It's almost 6 years old. Your RAM, at best, is from 2006. Your motherboard supports PCIe 1.1, and I believe. I don't think you can even use the card you linked.

Sorry to say, you really would be wasting your money upgrading it.[/QUOTE]
According to the tech at MSI. That board will support any PCI express card, even 2.1

[quote name='shosh']your board doesnt, as you referenced the wrong board in your link. your link only does ddr3, so you having ddr2 means thats not your board.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/G41TM-E43.html

its rare that boards support both ddr2/3, as its a really pointless added costs to manufacturers.

And this isn't just for heavy gaming, its mid level meaningful gaming. from the looks of it, your going to spend 150 bucks or more for the very end of the spectrum low rez gaming. is that what you really want?

but if you want to ignore my advice and simply write me off as some "build a new pc" jerk. go ahead. I tried.[/QUOTE]Sorry for the wrong link. I'm already getting a headache over all this lol. And no, I appreciate the advice you have given. I was just mainly talking about your initial response. I dunno. I will think all of this through and decide sooner or later. My PC does what I want it to do now and that's mainly watching movies, making vids from the HD camera, and surfing the net.

[quote name='krashhole'] I can pick up a 550 watt power supply for $40. [/QUOTE]

Newegg has some decent case/psu combos. Rosewill cases are nice bang for the buck. With the pc you have you could easily get away with a 400W- 500W PSU with a case for $40-$50.

Oh snap, I didn't notice that your pc was an HP.

Gonna have to say it, trash it :D

I hate HP products with a passion. When a company purposely designs their products to have high failure rates, I just cannot stand by them.

Seriously though, Frankenstein mismash of parts PC with a ton of dll errors vs a newly built fun ass kicking machine. Save your money through the holidays and make your gaming machine last.

[quote name='j-cart']Oh snap, I didn't notice that your pc was an HP.

Gonna have to say it, trash it :D

I hate HP products with a passion. When a company purposely designs their products to have high failure rates, I just cannot stand by them.

Seriously though, Frankenstein mismash of parts PC with a ton of dll errors vs a newly built fun ass kicking machine. Save your money through the holidays and make your gaming machine last.[/QUOTE]

thats what ive been saying. I'll take it a step further and say I hate all premanf pcs and totally get pissed when i need to fix one up. not to mention he has a dual core celeron processor, while can be fast, is totally missing all the features needed to run games. its a bottom of the barrel pc, and I cant even imagine how this tech support recommended him even any gfx card at all. i imagine he just picked a cheap ass card and told him to give them his money.

Might be bottom of the barrel to you. But for me, it does what I need it to do on a daily basis. Sure I can't run all the super high detail games, but I can play some.

Again, Thanks for all the help and suggestions fellas. I'll make a decision and deal with it when that time comes.

I think you need to approach your situation from the other side. What game(s) exactly do you want to play? What detail settings? What resolution? What performance? Be specific. I want to play diablo 3 at max settings on 1920x1080 and smoothly. I want to play Skyrim but I'm not a graphics junkie so medium settings/no AA are fine for me. But it needs to be 1920x1080 because I play on an HDTV and don't like downsampling/interpolation. I want SC2 to play smoothly because it's not doing that right now, but low settings are okay for me. That kind of thing.

You can then research what kind of performance you can expect for what kind of components you are looking at. Or other readers here could chime in with their experiences playing those games at those settings on similar hardware.

Not knowing what your desired performance target is (and no, "better than what I have now" is not a valid answer) means you are fumbling around in the dark buying parts that may not work well with each other, and ultimately be a waste of money.

Start by defining your target performance goals, and then look at your budget and finally your upgrade options and see if you can make it work. You may very well find that you would be better off just saving your cash for now and then building a new PC from the ground up in a few months, rather than put $100, $200, whatever right now into upgrades that will still leave you dissatisfied with the games you want to play.

I think this is what the other posters were trying to get at. We're not telling you that you need a new PC because that's the most expensive/ easy way to go, or that you need one because your current computer is a lost cause, we're saying you're not approaching this from a rational and objective viewpoint. You need to give out way more detail in your questions in order to get the most direct and helpful replies.

Ruahrc, thanks for posting that. I guess I didn't really think it all out. My PC gaming back in the day consisted of your very basic games. Stuff that you could buy at Walmart or Kmart for like $10 or less. I know today's gaming is a whole lot different and in return requires a lot more machine. I guess in a sense, I want to be able to play games like Borderlands, Batman, Darksiders, things of that nature. What I think I am going to do is come up with something budget friendly, and just build it up slowly. Maybe I will start with the case/power supply, and motherboard/processor. I know now I need to use DDR3, so that could be my next purchase. Then move onto the Video Card, etc etc. I really appreciate you guys helping me out, and explaining things. Sorry if I seemed stubborn or rude. No harm was meant.

yup build a new pc from ground up. youre alot more ambitious than i thought. though all those games you mentioned are all console ports (which is more inefficient with resources), not only will it be low settings, you're not even going to boot them up. dont build it up slowly, as its a waste of time and money. there is nothing i see in your build that you can salvage in a newer build. a mid level pc is going to cost 800 bucks to run the games you want and still be long lasting. so dont go out and buy ddr3 ram, as it wont work in your current comp. you dont build a house with shitty foundation. you have to create a good foundation to build on then tweak it as more advancements come along.

its like youre trying to street race with a 78 ford pinto. I honestly dont see why you dont just play those games for consoles.

use http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx to get a general sense of what you need. I imagine everything in your build is going to be redlined.

Well hell. I guess I don't know what kinda PC gaming I want then lol. So I guess I pretty much just need to stick to PC only games? Can you give me some game suggestions? I know one of my good friends here is a big time Diablo 3 junkie. I have never even looked at the game play though. Also, since you're talking $800. I guess something like this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3988328&Sku=B69-1432 is out of the question? I know, I sound cheap, but it's because I am. Married with 2 kids that constantly want lol. Basically, my budget needs to stay under $500. Maybe even $400. Surely there is something out there at places like tiger Direct, Frys, Microcenter, that I can build in that price range and would be decent?

Under $400= stick with console gaming. You need to spend around $600+ for a remotely decent gaming PC.

You may be able to play D3 at its lowest settings with that PC, but it is extremely limiting computer.

Because you are a jerk crystalklear64 :D

Guide.png

[quote name='krashhole']How is it really really outdated? The board/processor aren't even 2 years old yet. Buying a new computer is out of the question, so I will have to make due with what I have and just upgrade it.[/QUOTE]

DDR 2 RAM says it all.

OP is a clown for ignoring all the solid advice in here.

bread's done
Back