PC Gaming

metalmat

CAGiversary!
This is in response to the PC gaming topic in last CAG cast.

I think there are a couple things keeping PC gaming afloat. Along with Steam I would have to imagine that World of Warcraft has a big roll in the market as well. Steam is like the "itunes" of the PC gaming industry, as time goes on more and more people will downloading the games they want as opposed to going to a B&M to pick them up. WOW is like the "wii" of PC gaming, many people who dont normally play pc games play WOW ( I have friends a coworkers who fall in this category). And as wombat said, there are many casual gamers that might just play a game of ZUMA or hearts on the PC.

I think the big turn off about PC gaming is a few things. As more and more people get better Televisions, why would you want to play on a 22" screen when you could play on a 52" Plasma TV while sitting on the coach. There is also the issue that a PC is not a dedicated gaming system, and that there is not one unified pc so there will always be a chance that game might not run so great out of the box (or run at all). Another issue is piracy, Piracy is really hurting PC gaming as a whole. Hell, you dont even need to have the disk to play games. And PC gaming as whole can run mucho $$$$ if you want the best.

Of course Real time strategy games and FPS games will always have an advantage on the PC in my opinion. Using a mouse/keyboard is just better for some games. It also stands that if you have enough money you can experience the best graphics for games.

This issue of "PC gaming is dying" has been going on since the 90's. While I do agree that the industry is in a stage of flux, PC gaming is not going anywhere.

[quote name='metalmat']why would you want to play on a 22" screen when you could play on a 52" Plasma TV while sitting on the coach.[/quote]

Then plug your PC in to your 52" Plasma TV and sit on the couch. Fixed.

[quote name='metalmat']there will always be a chance that game might not run so great out of the box (or run at all).[/quote]

You can reduce - if not completely eliminate - any problems by buying hardware from Intel, Nvidia, Asus, etc and not buying hardware from ATI, AMD and [insert cheap brand here]. :)

[quote name='metalmat']Another issue is piracy, Piracy is really hurting PC gaming as a whole. Hell, you dont even need to have the disk to play games.[/quote]

I buy PC games and I'm not buying this argument. You can pirate console games too. Just check any torrent site.

A quick google search for an xbox 360 front-end shows that there is actually a peripheral called Blaster360 which lets you back up your games to a PC and even play them that way without the CD.

[quote name='metalmat']PC gaming is not going anywhere.[/quote]

:D

[quote name='metalmat']Of course Real time strategy games and FPS games will always have an advantage on the PC in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Along with MMO's, turn-based strategy games, and RPGs.

[quote name='hamst3r']Then plug your PC in to your 52" Plasma TV and sit on the couch. Fixed.
[/QUOTE]

What about the keyboard and mouse? That's cumbersome as shit unless you're actually at a desk.

You can reduce - if not completely eliminate - any problems by buying hardware from Intel, Nvidia, Asus, etc and not buying hardware from ATI, AMD and [insert cheap brand here]. :)

Buy shit so what you already paid money for works. Brilliant.

I buy PC games and I'm not buying this argument. You can pirate console games too. Just check any torrent site.

A quick google search for an xbox 360 front-end shows that there is actually a peripheral called Blaster360 which lets you back up your games to a PC and even play them that way without the CD.

When you have to install a mod chip in your console, that cuts down on the number of people pirating dramatically. With the PC, it's easy. Just download it and you're set. And the numbers are out there to back piracy up as a legitimate problem.

Not so much.

[quote name='Chacrana']What about the keyboard and mouse? That's cumbersome as shit unless you're actually at a desk.[/quote]

Wireless, it's pretty cool. Plus, you can use a controller if you're inclined to recline on a couch. Controllers are wireless too. You can also get a coffee table, they make them at nearly every height imaginable. You can also get collapsible tables that you can keep beside the couch and whip them out whenever you need a mouse and keyboard surface. They also make touchpads and trackball mice. There are numerous ways you could accomplish sitting on the couch and gaming with a PC.

[quote name='Chacrana'] Buy shit so what you already paid money for works. Brilliant.[/quote]

What are you talking about? What exactly did you already pay money for? I was stating that you should buy the RIGHT stuff the FIRST time rather than buying cheap hardware from off-brands.

[quote name='Chacrana'] When you have to install a mod chip in your console, that cuts down on the number of people pirating dramatically. With the PC, it's easy.[/quote]

The Blaster360 requires no soldering of mod-chips. All you have to do is open your XBOX 360 and connect the cables. What you're doing is making it so that all of the data passes through the blaster360 so that you can rip the data as it's transmitted. That's pretty damn easy - it's almost as easy as just matching the cable colors until everything is plugged back in. Console modding has evolved a long way from soldering mod chips onto the mainboard.

[quote name='Chacrana']Not so much.[/quote]

You're an unhappy person? :)

I think the turnoffs are, Games that come out broken, new games being designed to look great on the newest graphics card rather than run well on the older systems, having to setup and configure the computer and the games themselves, and computers are famous for crashing.
Plus there are all these myths that you can't game unless you have a $1,000 rig that you have to upgrade every 6 months.
I think the best way to sell PC games is to focus on the online aspect of the game. Isn't Counter-Strike one of the most played games online? I think if developers worried about giving people a compelling reason to have a legit copy of the game as they do about making an new inconvenient anti-piracy feature that will be cracked within a week of the release they would sell more games.

[quote name='hamst3r']
The Blaster360 requires no soldering of mod-chips. All you have to do is open your XBOX 360 and connect the cables. What you're doing is making it so that all of the data passes through the blaster360 so that you can rip the data as it's transmitted. That's pretty damn easy - it's almost as easy as just matching the cable colors until everything is plugged back in. Console modding has evolved a long way from soldering mod chips onto the mainboard.

:)[/quote]
Within about a year of its release the original x-box could be modded with out any chips/soldering/even opening the machine. Yet very few people used this to pirate games. I don't see console Piracy becoming rampant for a while . Although it would have an advantage over PC piracy as believe there are no CD-keys so pirated copies could be played online.

I don't think there's anything wrong with PC gaming, nor do I think it's going anywhere, but it's just never been something I've been able to get into for various personal reasons.

1. After working all day on a PC, I just don't want to sit at a PC much on evenings or weekends, even to game. Just a little net surfing and e-mail checking is usually the most I'll touch my home PC for (and even the majority of that gets done at the office).

2. Never got good at the keyboard part of keyboard mouse controls. Can use a controller, but games aren't optimized for it so console games tend to control better for me.

3. Given the first two, I just can't justify the cost or hassle of keeping my computer upgraded for latest games. I just try to get a medicore video card every time I get a new PC so I can play at least older (2-3 + years) PC games if I have the inkling.

4. Much prefer to play on my 50" TV than a monitor. And to the above comment there's no way in hell I'm putting a PC in my living room to hook up to the TV. That's too nerdy and I'm too much of a neat freak for it.

Those are the main ones. And as you can see, they're all just personal dislikes that keep me from getting into it, rather than inherent problems with the format. PC gaming has just never been my cup of tea.

I'm going to steal a line from an IRC convo that was happening just before I read this:

what's 'killing' PC gaming is entirely perception.. nothing has really changed.. it's just people excessively exagerrating things

While I won't fully-agree with this (no doubt PC gaming can be an expensive hobby), this is my biggest problem with the whole PC Gaming drama. Those that obviously do little-to-no gaming on their PC are trying to pass off myths such as the you-need-to-buy-a-600-dollar-video-card-every-6-months and it's-too-cumbersome-to-use-the-pc-on-an-hdtv-entertainment-setup as truth.

I'm not speaking about the CAGcast since I didn't listen to the last episode, but the overwhelming majority of people on the gaming blogs and forums do this. Yet if you asked them to name a $600 video card that came out in recent history (protip: there are none, unless you are trying to build a 3D workstation using an Nvidia Quadro), or ask them if they even attempted to place a PC in an entertainment setup (most will admit no, and I'm actually using the said setup myself), they come up with nothing.

I don't think the myths have much to do with the "killing" PC gaming, and I don't think it's been killed. Aren't PC game sells pretty solid over the years?

The problem is they just didn't take off and catch on in the mainstream like console gaming has.

Perception probably has little to do with that. It's probably more marketing (more $$$ spent on console game ads) and that console gaming is more accessible. By that I mean it's easy to have a group of friends over to play some Wii, Guitar Hero or anykind of split screen local multiplayer. There's no doubt that type of gaming sells a lot of consoles--look at the success of the Wii. And that's just not possible on the PC, it's solo or online gaming for the most part.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I don't think the myths have much to do with the "killing" PC gaming, and I don't think it's been killed. Aren't PC game sells pretty solid over the years?

The problem is they just didn't take off and catch on in the mainstream like console gaming has.

Perception probably has little to do with that. It's probably more marketing (more $$$ spent on console game ads) and that console gaming is more accessible. By that I mean it's easy to have a group of friends over to play some Wii, Guitar Hero or anykind of split screen local multiplayer. There's no doubt that type of gaming sells a lot of consoles--look at the success of the Wii. And that's just not possible on the PC, it's solo or online gaming for the most part.[/quote]

Again, people think pc gaming sales across the board have been low. These numbers do not account for digital download sales and monthly subscriptions. At heart I am a PC gamer, but the XBOX 360 in my living room is pretty sweet.

Sales are low relative to console games, for the reason I listed. PC gaming just never made it mainstream, aside from stuff like The Sims, Bejeweled, Solitaire etc.

But PC gaming isn't dying, it's just stayed more constant while console gaming has expanded it's market every generation from NES on.

PC gaming would be better if developers started going all out multi-platform rather then being exclusive. It also doesn't help that games that hit the PC come out many months later (Mass Effect, Devil May Cry 4) which hinders my ability to wait.

As for RPGS ruling the PC? Let me know when Persona, the more recent Final Fantasy(s), Dragon Quest, Disgea, Odin Sphere, XenoSaga, etc. come out on the PC. Yes we had Plane Scape, Wizardry, Diablo etc. back in the day but it doesn't compare to the robust RPG lineup on most consoles.

What's nice is companies like MS make it easy to port games from the 360 to the PC if a developer decides to do so, and recently Lucas Arts said porting from the PS3 is pretty easy. It's just a matter of the developers taking advantage of it.

The worst aspect of PC gaming has to be the pirating issue, and they are going to have to do something about that really soon.

It is just simply WAY easier for the average consumer to buy a console and the games conveniently packaged with said console's name all over them. You buy the game, pop it in, it runs perfectly. This isn't the case with a PC. Installs? Directories? Resolutions? Full Scale AA? Shadows? Low, Medium, High, Custom? Consoles are TOO easy nowadays...

A PC in a home theater setup is just plain impractical unless you buy a super small case and the specific components which fit, which is just too costly and a pain. I challenge you to build a $350 PC which runs games like Bioshock, COD4, Mass Effect or Assassin's Creed without a hitch. When console hardware is first released it is almost always sold at a loss while PC components are all sold for a profit.

Also, the PC is PC gaming's biggest enemy. I can use the PC to pirate games for itself! Yeah, you can pirate games on a console but the risk is MUCH higher (bricking the console as oppossed to downloading a game that you can't get to run). It also takes a hell of a lot more time and balls to open up a console and mess with stuff you aren't familiar with - especially for Joe Bob Consumer.

[quote name='dmaul1114']1. After working all day on a PC, I just don't want to sit at a PC much on evenings or weekends, even to game. Just a little net surfing and e-mail checking is usually the most I'll touch my home PC for (and even the majority of that gets done at the office).[/quote]

This is a really big one for me too. I wish I could work all day playing console games at work, then I would want to use my PC more when I got home.

If pc gaming was dead then there wouldn't be 50,000+ people playing Diablo 2, a game that's almost 10 years old, at any given time.

There are tons of people playing pc games, it's just that it isn't in the lime light like the consoles. Maybe because they've been around for so long or maybe people just want to think their console is better (i.e. fanboys) so they started a rumor that pc gaming is dead.

[quote name='dragonsho']If pc gaming was dead then there wouldn't be 50,000+ people playing Diablo 2, a game that's almost 10 years old, at any given time.[/QUOTE]

Thing is, that is the problem with PC gaming. Why hasn't something come out in the last almost 8 years (Diablo 2 released summer 2000) that can pull those gamers away from Diablo 2? Developers of so called AAA titles are striving for the best looking graphics which will not run on that 8 year old pc that can still run Diablo 2.

Now with consoles, games like Katamari Damacy, Loco Roco, Disgaea and others can find their way onto store shelves and get exposure and sales without AAA marketing behind them. There is a chance for these "Mid-Range" games on consoles.

On the PC, newly released games seem to be either AAA type games from the big name developers or indie games. Steam and other services may help the industry have something like a storefront. This storefront is needed for "Mid-Range" games to thrive in the PC arena. These games could target those 8 year old PC's running Diablo 2. This storefront could also bring attention to some indie games to people who would not otherwise even hear of the game.

People will pay for good games that they know they are getting from a trusted source. I think some of piracy comes from people not wanting to pay for a game that they are not sure how well it will run on their machine. Honestly, if you expect everyone to have to shell out $250-$300 for a new video card every six months to play your newest game, you have to expect some of them will not have the $50 left to pay for your game. I, for one, can't afford to upgrade like that, so I can't even run these new games.

I think devs are finally starting to realize that people don't necessarily want something super-pretty - they want something fun. fuck, I don't think anyone would mind sacrificing graphical fidelity for great gameplay.

I honestly can't stay quiet with all this stupid shit is being said about PC gaming.

[quote name='Malik112099']It is just simply WAY easier for the average consumer to buy a console and the games conveniently packaged with said console's name all over them. You buy the game, pop it in, it runs perfectly. This isn't the case with a PC. Installs? Directories? Resolutions? Full Scale AA? Shadows? Low, Medium, High, Custom? Consoles are TOO easy nowadays...
[/quote]
I guess its to hard for the average consumer to buy a PC game from the pc gaming section of the store with the other pc games.
Ive never seen someone buy a Playstation 3 game to try and play it in their xbox, and why in the hell would someone buy an Xbox game to think they can play it on their PC?

Console games do it run perfectly, they are also ridden with bugs just like some PC versions are.

Thats great if you are so stupid its hard to do a couple of mouse clicks and not know how to put 1 dvd in, and wait for an install.
It's not like you a writing the game in assembly.

Most PC games have an auto dectect setting to set the graphics at the level that is appropriate for your machine. Only people that know what AA,AF,etc go into the settings to mess with them. You dont start up the game to be approached with all these settings.

PC games are just as easy as a console, unless you are just too stupid to realize what a patch is.

A PC in a home theater setup is just plain impractical unless you buy a super small case and the specific components which fit, which is just too costly and a pain. I challenge you to build a $350 PC which runs games like Bioshock, COD4, Mass Effect or Assassin's Creed without a hitch. When console hardware is first released it is almost always sold at a loss while PC components are all sold for a profit.
I take your challenge.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237787

That thing will run bioshock at a higher NATIVE resolution then your 360 will, and run it faster then your 360 will.
When ME comes out on PC, it will run better, and with less bugs and more stable framerate, then the 360 version is.
ME and Ass Creed were probably some of the buggiest console games ever. I will wait the 6 months so you 360 people can beta test the final PC version.

PC hardware makers have to make a profit because they dont get a slice from every pc game sold.
This is why PC games are 10-20 dollars cheaper on the average then the console counterparts.
Consoles are cheaper because they are mass produced, and with every game sold, the publisher has to give around 10 dollars to the hardware manufacturer(as a liscence fee).

Also, the PC is PC gaming's biggest enemy. I can use the PC to pirate games for itself! Yeah, you can pirate games on a console but the risk is MUCH higher (bricking the console as opposed to downloading a game that you can't get to run). It also takes a hell of a lot more time and balls to open up a console and mess with stuff you aren't familiar with - especially for Joe Bob Consumer.
Joe Bob Consumer has no clue what a torrent is, or how to crack a PC game, or how to read an .nfo, and most things.
Joe Bob consumer is an ignorant mother that thinks you need $100 HDMI cables, and that 1080p is "Full HD".
Pirating Games on a console is just as easy, as a pc, most consoles dont even need modchips to get it done.
It does not take alot of "balls" to open up a console, because they are mostly PCs whith everything solderd onto one PCB.

[quote name='dragonsho']If pc gaming was dead then there wouldn't be 50,000+ people playing Diablo 2, a game that's almost 10 years old, at any given time.
[/quote]
This.
Just because PC gamers stick with a game for hundreds of hours, and continue to enjoy it, and not play 3 hours of a 360 game and then trade it in for less then half of what they payed, does not mean that PC gaming is dead. It means that people on PCs dont see the need to always play the "flavor of the week" and then move on.

There are tons of people playing pc games, it's just that it isn't in the lime light like the consoles. Maybe because they've been around for so long or maybe people just want to think their console is better (i.e. fanboys) so they started a rumor that pc gaming is dead.
Its all cause of NPDs.

[quote name='thater']Thing is, that is the problem with PC gaming. Why hasn't something come out in the last almost 8 years (Diablo 2 released summer 2000) that can pull those gamers away from Diablo 2? Developers of so called AAA titles are striving for the best looking graphics which will not run on that 8 year old pc that can still run Diablo 2.
[/quote]
Its beacuse people still enjoy playing Diablo 2. On PC devs support their games, and release patches, instead of getting raped for 60 more dollars the next year to fix the problems with the previous games.

Now with consoles, games like Katamari Damacy, Loco Roco, Disgaea and others can find their way onto store shelves and get exposure and sales without AAA marketing behind them. There is a chance for these "Mid-Range" games on consoles.
Its true that you can't get Japanese Games on a PC, but we get all the indie games, and most of the time they are free.

People will pay for good games that they know they are getting from a trusted source. I think some of piracy comes from people not wanting to pay for a game that they are not sure how well it will run on their machine. Honestly, if you expect everyone to have to shell out $250-$300 for a new video card every six months to play your newest game, you have to expect some of them will not have the $50 left to pay for your game. I, for one, can't afford to upgrade like that, so I can't even run these new games.
This is crazy talk.
You could have bought a 8800gts 320mb, over a year and a half ago for less then 300 dollars, and you could still be playing the latest games at near max specs.

This is the problem. People always think that you need a 300 dollar graphics card every 6 months to play PC games. You could buy a 9600gt for around 180 dollars, and play every pc game for the next 3 years without a problem.

Im done trying to defend the pc around here because most of you console idiots dont understand what PC gaming is all about.

Go play your Gears at 1024x768 with 2x AA, and barely managing to get 30fps.

Ill play it on my PC at 1980x1200 with 16AF, and 8XAA, running at 60fps.
Ill also play the extra content you console gamers didnt get.
I also play online for free.
I also play it with my xbox 360 controller since thats what the game was designed for.
I will also play it on my 65" DLP TV.

[quote name='Chacrana']I think devs are finally starting to realize that people don't necessarily want something super-pretty - they want something fun. fuck, I don't think anyone would mind sacrificing graphical fidelity for great gameplay.[/quote]

I think this is what Nintendo was going for with the Wii, but 95% of the stuff that is not made by Nintendo is pure shit.

Its the average person that just wants pretty grphx, and devs spend to much time on that shit instead of just making fuck all awesome gameplay.

While I'm a fan of PC Gaming, I'd like to point out to you that the PC you linked cost 399 Euros, not dollars, which works out to be $606.

[quote name='Genocidal']While I'm a fan of PC Gaming, I'd like to point out to you that the PC you linked cost 399 Euros, not dollars, which works out to be $606.[/quote]That was a mistake, read the thread and it's disproven.

People quote similar setups with NewEgg links and it's pretty much that price.

And Inufaye, piracy is hurting PC games WAY more than it's hurting consoles right now.
Yeah, there's a shit ton of people playing Diablo 2 :rolleyes: but the majority of them are pirates loaded with cheat mods.

PC gaming industry is hurting, most PC game devs have said so, recently even. It won't die, but it's not that profitable. That's why so many of the biggie PC devs have started to focus on consoles.
PC piracy is huge. Infinity Ward was shocked when they checked how many pirated copies vs real copies were playing CoD4 online.
I don't want to dig up threads though.

No its not, look closely, he lists both prices.

its 399 DOLLARS.

I know its hurting dullow-manyg, its not a dead horse like many claim.

I dont know how IW could say look at all these pirated copies playing online, because to play any PC game online you have to have a unique serial key.

Im just trying to clear up the many myths of pc gaming that many tend to spread.

I think PC gaming is in the same spot as the music industry was a few years ago-- they've got a lot of stuff to figure out in order to adapt to a market that's not interested in an outdated way of doing things. As much as I love PC gaming, the whole process is just plain obtuse vs. consoles. and piracy, piracy, piracy.

I think they need to do what stardock(devs of sins of a solar empire) and Chris Taylor(dev of supreme commander) has done.

Release games with no protection, but make the main draw of the game be the multiplayer so it gives people an incentive to buy it.

I remember just seeing that Crysis has sold a Million World Wide, and the Witcher has also sold a million world wide.

I think its just that PC gaming is alot weaker in NA, then it is in PAL regions.

It's funny for people to think that the state of PC gaming is in utter shit, based mostly on numbers within the US. PC Gaming is still strong in Europe and parts of Asia, and until you can get those two continents to start wanking over consoles, you can't say the industry is dying.

[quote name='dallow']Haha, serials keys don't stop anyone from playing online.[/quote]

Yes they do because everytime you hit a server to play online, they first authorize your Serial Key.

Just try and download a PC game and play it with a cracked key, its not gonna work because its not gonna be a valid cd-key.

You can only play Pirated games on LAN's, Private Servers, or Offline.

[quote name='InuFaye']I honestly can't stay quiet with all this stupid shit is being said about PC gaming.

I'm done trying to defend the pc around here because most of you console idiots don't understand what PC gaming is all about. [/QUOTE]

I was trying to defend PC gaming and mention a few ways that it could get better and stomp out this craziness about the "Fall of PC gaming." I am not a console idiot as my PC gets much more play then my consoles and I do not even have a console from this gen, just PS2 and XBOX.

But, I am just not excited by the major releases for the PC. I am not a big FPS fan and the games that I am playing the most right now are Fallout 2, Arcanum, and Silent Storm. Indie games do fill that void, but they are not as easy for the regular person to get exposed to and purchase. If there was a better system for the average PC gamer to see and safely purchase a big selection of indie and mid-range games, then they would sell more and those games more enticing for developers to make. That would stop all this talk about PC gaming is dead. It is not dead, but the talk has been going on far a while.

My bad, then. I didn't feel like reading past the first few posts of the thread when I saw that it was 22 pages of most likely crap. I question the quality of parts if he's trying to get by on a $50 mobo and a $50 combined case+PSU, and wonder how long this system will hold up.

This is from the Infinity Ward blog post entitled:

They Wonder Why People Don't Make PC Games Any More

We pulled some disturbing numbers this past week about the amount of PC players currently playing Multiplayer (which was fantastic). What wasn't fantastic was the percentage of those numbers who were playing on stolen copies of the game on stolen / cracked CD keys of pirated copies (and that was only people playing online).

Not sure if I can share the exact numbers or percentage of PC players with you, but I'll check and see; if I can I'll update with them. As the amount of people who pirate PC games is astounding. It blows me away at the amount of people willing to steal games (or anything) simply because it's not physical or it's on the safety of the internet to do.

[quote name='thater']I was trying to defend PC gaming and mention a few ways that it could get better and stomp out this craziness about the "Fall of PC gaming." I am not a console idiot as my PC gets much more play then my consoles and I do not even have a console from this gen, just PS2 and XBOX.

But, I am just not excited by the major releases for the PC. I am not a big FPS fan and the games that I am playing the most right now are Fallout 2, Arcanum, and Silent Storm. Indie games do fill that void, but they are not as easy for the regular person to get exposed to and purchase. If there was a better system for the average PC gamer to see and safely purchase a big selection of indie and mid-range games, then they would sell more and those games more enticing for developers to make. That would stop all this talk about PC gaming is dead. It is not dead, but the talk has been going on far a while.[/quote]

Fallout 3, Starcraft 2, Spore, Battlefield Heroes, Command and Conquer 3: Kanes Wrath.

Lots of Non-FPS stuff this year.

[quote name='Genocidal']My bad, then. I didn't feel like reading past the first few posts of the thread when I saw that it was 22 pages of most likely crap. I question the quality of parts if he's trying to get by on a $50 mobo and a $50 combined case+PSU, and wonder how long this system will hold up.[/quote]

Longer then the average 360.

[quote name='dallow']There's a reason why devs have to purge certain keys from time to time.[/quote]

True.
Devs just have to come up with ways to defeat piracy.
Some will pirate no matter what you do.

The only way to do it is to have the game, whether it be for single player or multi, connect to the dev server and aunthicate the whole game.

The con is that you can only play when connected to the internet.

[quote name='InuFaye']Longer then the average 360.
[/quote]Whicih Microsoft will replace (the whole system) under warranty. If a PSU goes and fries your other components, your PSU may be under warranty and replaced but you're generally SOL on the rest of it.

[quote name='InuFaye']Fallout 3, Starcraft 2, Spore, Battlefield Heroes, Command and Conquer 3: Kanes Wrath.

Lots of Non-FPS stuff this year. [/QUOTE]

You are right, there is a bunch of non-FPS stuff out there. I am hoping for Fallout 3 to be a good game, but I am not so sure about it.

One game I am following and anxious to play is The Age of Decadence. http://www.irontowerstudio.com/

It is just that the style of games I like are not being catered too by the major developers and releases. I understand that the games I like now fall into a niche market.

I don't know about you but I don't really disconnect the internet from my desktop.

I don't game on my laptop.

[quote name='Genocidal']Whicih Microsoft will replace (the whole system) under warranty. If a PSU goes and fries your other components, your PSU may be under warranty and replaced but you're generally SOL on the rest of it.[/quote]

Claim that shit on your homeowners insurance if it goes down. Ive had a couple of friends do that.
Plus most (good)manufactures offer good warranties.

[quote name='thater']You are right, there is a bunch of non-FPS stuff out there. I am hoping for Fallout 3 to be a good game, but I am not so sure about it.

One game I am following and anxious to play is The Age of Decadence. http://www.irontowerstudio.com/

It is just that the style of games I like are not being catered too by the major developers and releases. I understand that the games I like now fall into a niche market.[/quote]

This is true.
Alhtough I still feel that alot of games do play better on the pc.

[quote name='InuFaye']I don't know about you but I don't really disconnect the internet from my desktop.

I don't game on my laptop.[/quote]Yeah, but lots of people don't just game at home.

They all want to be WOW.

Many try, all FAIL.

Nah manyg, Im saying if I want to play a portable game, I use my PSP or my DS, not my Laptop.

Unless im down for solitare.

I

[quote name='dallow']Yeah, but lots of people don't just game at home.[/QUOTE]

And it would suck not being able to play off line if your internet is down etc.

[quote name='Chacrana']Question: Why are there so goddamn many MMOs? They all suck.[/QUOTE]

Subscriptions, why go after $40-$50 once when you can get $10-$20 a month for months and months and still get that $40-$50 from time to time. You don't need 8 million subscribers to make money, but that number being posted makes other producers and developers drool. Also, not much of a piracy threat there.

Still waiting on a $350 pc that will play Bioshock/Assassin's Creed/COD4...it would also be nice if I could fit it in my home theater setup....

You don't need torrents to download pc games...I use direct downloads/Rapidshare to get pretty much anything you could imagine

Also, sites like gamecopyworld make it super easy for Joe Bob Consumer to crack those pesky games they downloaded

[quote name='InuFaye']Your 350 dollar 360 is the beta testing ground for my PC.

Have fun with the inferior versions.[/quote]

So, I take that as a "No, you cannot buy a $350 PC which will run those games with no problems."

The 360 Arcade will play those games too...so you technically need to come up with a $280 PC which will play those games. Tell you what - the $280 PC doesn't even have to fit in my home theater setup. ;)

Good day, sir.

No Problems?

Last time I checked all of those games ran like ass on the 360.
Rendered at less then 720p and then upscaled to whatever it needs to be.

I like my games to run at least 30fps.
Play your gimped ass 360 version.

Ill spend a little more to have some quality.

bread's done
Back