Pc speakers stoped working, any help?

neverletthem

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Alright, so I've got a pair of Insignia speakers, don't know the model name. All of a sudden today, I boot up my PC, and no audio comes out. Go to check, and notice that the PC is telling me my speakers aren't plugged in. The light on the speaker is still on, so I know it's powered.

It's not plugged into a sound card, just on board sound. The driver is Realtek HD audio, and I've already updated the drivers, nothing. Any help?

[quote name='seen']Try the speakers on an ipod, etc to make sure the speakers work properly.[/QUOTE]

This, if that doesn't work it's likely faulty wiring and you may be able to ask the manufacturer for a new set.

If you issue turns out to be with your speakers and not your sound card, the problem is likely where the audio jack is connected to the wiring or where the wiring connects to the speakers itself. This would especially be true if you moved your speaker just prior to sound loss, causing somekind of short. I found a link for you that is likely the model of speakers you own. On that page it includes links to PDF product manual and warrenty information. If the product is with in the warrenty perioud the manafactor asks that you take a defectave item to retailer you purchased it from. From personal experiance I you do not have the orginal recept, they will not likly help you (unless you purchased it the that stores credit card. You can contact the manafactor at 877-467-4289, they might be able be aware of common defects that have been discovered. On the off chance you bought from Circuit City, just call the manafactor. Since Circuit City is in bankruptcy they will not exchange. I hope this helps, good luck -Bryan

Sounds like it's an issue with your sound card, not your speakers. Since driver updates aren't helping, it must be a hardware problem. You could buy a cheap sound card if you don't mind opening up your computer to install it.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Sounds like it's an issue with your sound card, not your speakers. Since driver updates aren't helping, it must be a hardware problem. You could buy a cheap sound card if you don't mind opening up your computer to install it.[/QUOTE]

So, it's a sound card issue even though I plug in my speakers through my mobo? I'll probably call HP and see if they will replace the thing, it's still under warranty. If not, I'm basically SOL. I have no more PCI slots (pre-built computer MOBOs are horrible, the thing had one PCI slot that a sound card( i believe) sits in for the two audio slots in the front of my computer, and one PCI x16 slot, where my 9800GT I put in sits), so I can't install a sound card.

check your cables
7.gif

Well, last night I got an email back from HP (fast response time) saying that "I would like to inform you that I spoke with my supervisor regarding the issue and after a long discussion we finally decided to set up your PC for bench repair at free of cost (So generic sounding)". I was given info on how to send it in. Change to this morning, where I boot up my computer, and I hear the Vista sound coming out of my speakers, and all sound is working again.....what?

Dang, intermittent problems like that are annoying. Because you know if you send it in, they'll say, "everything looks fine," and you'll be stuck with it.

I dunno, maybe just stick with it a couple more days and hope that it cuts out again. Or maybe (but not likely) it won't happen again, and you won't have to worry about it.

bread's done
Back