PC upgrade ideas?

Dufran3

CAGiversary!
Hey all, new here, wanting to upgrade my pc for reasonable cost. But I'm not sure where my hardware stands compared to what is out there...don't want to spend $130 on a new vid. card when it doesn't really outperform the one I have. I hope you can help!

Current System Spec's:

MOBO: MSI Neo4 Platinum (HATE THIS MOBO, WANT TO GO ASUS)
PROC: AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 2.61Ghz
MEM: 4 GB Kingston Value Ram (although only get 3.25 recognized)
HDD: 2 Seagate 150GB drives SATA in RAID 0
VIDEO: ATI Radeon X1900XT
AUDIO: Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer Edition

I think that is it, I would prob. keep my drives, and sound card. Was looking at some ASUS boards, and also some Intel Procs. Wanted to switch to Nvidia vid card to. was looking at 8800 GT, but didn't know if it would outperform what I have.

PLEASE ANYONE WITH A SUGGESTION, PLEASE GIVE IT TO ME!! Thanks!

First question I need to ask - for what reason do you want to upgrade? Particular game not running at an acceptable speed?

Also - you shouldn't be surprised that your pc is only recognizing 3.25 GB of RAM. With 32-bit OS's, it cannot access the full 4 GB of RAM.

Yeh, I can't really run the games I play at high settings. BF2142 doesn't run well, TF2 runs ok...etc...anyway, not surprised that it doesn't see all 4, just thought I would mention int.

It probably isn't worth upgrading at all for you right now, at least not the processor/mobo. I'd say you could put a 4850 in there for about $170 and get a huge performance boost. If you want to switch to Intel/nVidia I'd say wait maybe a year or two. That will give some time for developers to get new stuff out the door that will really make use of Quad Core. GDDR3 ram will be much more inexpensive aroudn that time as well. So I would say just keep saving for now, wait for new announcements from Intel/nVidia and build a monster machine next Fall. For now a 4850 would be a great investment for running TF2 and 2142.

Next fall, ahh!! BF3 is supposedly coming out this fall, and there are tons of games in september...spore...etc...any reccommendations for a prompt "now" type of upgrade? I wouldn't mind just going to DDR2, ya know...anyway...thanks for the reply, and I will check that vid card out, but wanted to upgrade before this fall.

BTW, on the 4850, what manuf. is good for a that card?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000048&Description=4850&name=Desktop+Graphics+%2f+Video+Cards

Last edited by a moderator:
Gigabyte, Sapphire, Asus, MSI. If you want to upgrade now what is your budget? I could help you put something together.

Would like to keep it low... around 600-700 or something like that...here is what i have just thrown together...

Product Description Savings Total Price
14-102-747-TS

SAPPHIRE 100242L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail Item #: N82E16814102747

-$5.00 Instant
$20.00 Mail-in Rebate $179.99$174.99

20-227-298-02.jpg

OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P10664GK - Retail Item #: N82E16820227298

-$20.00 Instant
$15.00 Mail-in Rebate $129.99$109.99

13-131-322-TS

ASUS P5QL-E LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail Item #: N82E16813131322

$109.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8500 - Retai Item #: N82E16819115036
19-115-036-02.jpg
00-992-035-03.jpg
00-992-036-03.jpg

-$49.98 Combo
$244.97$194.99

Currently using AMD, so i might need a Intel compatible CPU cooler, not sure how well the stock fans run. Suggestions on that, or any of the parts I choose you wouldn't reccomend?

I got a 1.8 -> 3.0 overclock using the stock fan on my c2d. If you want to upgrade later on just make sure the cooler you get does not need a backplate, you wont want to tear the whole thing apart just to put on a new cooler.

First of all I would recommend against the ram upgrade. If you already have 4 gb of compatible ram you are not going to see much of a performance increase with faster ram. Also as far as cpu coolers go here are a couple that I like:
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro
Scythe Ninja 1100p
I have the scythe and it is almost completely silent and keeps my processor reasonably cool (idles at about 40 degrees in a 22 degree room on my heavily overclocked quad core). My friend bought the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro and he likes it so far. It is also pretty much the most popular cooler on newegg. It is noisier but smaller.

Oh ok then yeah of course get new ram. I would recommend trying to find deals on 2x1 gb and buy 2 of those instead. You could probably save $50 that way (losing the ability to expand later, but you shouldn't need more than 4 gb for another 5 years). Here is one right now for only $20, but the rebate is only one per household. Even if you bought that twice and sent in one rebate you would still save $30.

The MSI Board, oh gosh, where do I begin. I have 2 computers that have that board, each board has been RMA'd at least 3 times.... bro-in-law has this board also, 2 RMA's. Had my two boards for about 2 1/2 years. Mobo dies w/out any signs of problems....all the sudden, restart and keyboard/mouse aren't detected... and never will be again....haha...suck

BTW Dr Foo, thanks for the comments and advice, however the linked RAM is DDR2 800 not 1066

Any other comments?

Would the upgraded machine outperform my current specs?? By a lot, a little?? What do you guys think?

If you going with the HD4850, Visiontek is the only company to offer a limited lifetime warranty so that may be one worth looking at.

I really like the Q6600. If you like to overclock I would definitely go with that. I have mine at 3.4 ghz (which is probably close to the highest speed you could get the dual core to) with a reasonable voltage increase. It will help a lot with multitasking and once programs start supporting 4 cores you will obviously be at a huge advantage. As far as the other motherboard, it probably doesn't matter a whole lot, but I do know the P35 chipset is very good for overclocking (and is actually what is in my computer).

Really, the 2.4 Quad over the 3.1 Dual Core? Wasn't planning on OC'ing it, no experience in doing that.

I'd recommend just getting the Core 2 Duo CPU without going through overclocking and such. Most people dont need the quad cores to operate their computer. When the time comes where you NEED a quad core, then upgrade to a quad core. For now, stick with Core 2 Duo.

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate all the help I'm getting here at CAG! Thanks guys! Actually, my wife convinced me to hold off the upgrade until the week of August 15th. So I will have some extra time to think it over, and get some more valuable advice from all ya!

Anything else? :):hot:

Well it's just like I said. If you want to give overclocking (or even aftermarket cooling) a shot then I would go with the Q6600. If you just want something that is very fast out of the box then the dual core would be the better option. I really recommend trying to overclock (it's just changing a few settings in the bios and making sure the chip doesn't get too hot) but obviously it's up to you.

If you don't need Wi-Fi on board, save the money and go with either the Pro or EPU. If you're looking to overclock, it seems the EPU has a few more available BIOS options vs the Pro.

bread's done
Back