Pelican PS2/PS3 Adapter Review and Support Group

Thomas96

CAGiversary!
I just got the Pelican ps2/ps3 adapter... it's nice, has the ps button, it lets you play GH II lefty; The adapter also has a switch on the left side, (controller / GH2) which has to be switched depending on what device you're using.

here's my review....

it didn't work with GH II.... in the instructions it says that you can't do hammer ons and pull offs with this adapter, and it says the the tutorial mode will not function for Guitar Hero 2 while using the adapter. You can't use the Guitar's tilt function either, you have to press select.

I'm trying to set it up to play GH II, however there's an error that when I press the green fret button, it registers as I'm pushing the green fret, orange fret and strum bar all together.

There's also 3 modes the guitar can be put in

1) Menu mode - done by holding start and the green fret - which makes it easier to navigate menus,

2) Righty Mode - done by holding the orange fret, and strum,

3) Lefty Mode done by holding the green fret and strum.

overall, this device sucks if you're buying it for Guitar Hero II only. Haven't tried the adapter with regular ps2 controllers yet. However, the old radioshack ps2 to usb adapter worked better w/ Guitar Hero, however there was lag which messes up the game.

if anyone has the adapter and got it working... please let me know before I pull my hair out...

I'll have mine in the mail tomorrow and I plan to extensively review it as soon as I get the chance with most all games that use peripherals. I know Markman already posted a review of it on his site - www.sdtekken.com. Maybe he can assist?

Well, I dug out all the games with peripherals that I own.

Guitar Hero I and II
Taiko Drum Master
Beatmania
DDR Extreme
Tekken 5 Ultimate Collector's

First I tried Guitar Hero I. The converter actually was not too bad with the guitar. I did notice some slight lag with the whammy bar but nothing too major (this may be due more to my HDTV but not sure). Tilt worked successfully as well, but I did not try the left flip. The tutorial went through smoothly too. Overall, not too bad and it is very playable.

Second, tried Guitar Hero 2 and switched the device to "GH2" mode. Ugh! This was not a good experience. First off, I had to turn on another ps3 controller to make the selections from the menu on what I wanted to play. When I finally got to the song (Strutter), I noticed that when I held down a fret button, it didn't queue up like normal. But when I activated it with the strum bar, it worked. The whammy bar is majorly jacked up. I had to push it very hard for it to register and there was a noticeable lag as well, even worse than Guitar Hero 1. Also, I pressed the select button since the motion sensor does not work to activate star power and the adapter switched to "lefty mode". Unless I hit another button on accident, this was very disheartening. But after failing the song (lefty flip), I tried it again and actually got through it. But at the results screen, I couldn't continue using the guitars buttons nor the additional ps3 controller I had on. I will test more extensively later but this was enough for me to give up. Playable, but barely in my opinion. I will keep my PS2 hooked up.

Then one of my kids fell asleep when I was hooking up Taiko Drum Master so I couldn't test it because I knew I would wake her up. This one will have to wait until tomorrow. Next, I will try Beatmania and DDR Extreme and finally some arcade stick action with Tekken.

Tried all the other games I listed minus Taiko Drum Master.

Beatmania - the beatmania controller worked fine in the menus and in game with no lag that I could tell.

DDR Extreme - dance pad from DDR Extreme worked fine in the menus and in game with no lag either.

Tekken 5 w/arcade stick - no lag issues whatsoever.

I am pretty pumped that this adapter worked with most everything very well with the exception of Guitar Hero 2. I figured that would be the hardest one to make compatible since Red Octane and crew screwed with the setup to discourage 3rd party controller use. But I definately recommend this converter and will be picking up a second one!

I'm a little bit torn on this adapter. I bought it mainly to be able to use my arcade sticks and guitar hero.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem my street fighter anniversary sticks are compatible as when I plug them in, it seems to act erratic as if someone keeps pressing left & right really quickly.

The Guitar Hero 2 compatiblity is just barely good enough in my opinion. Hammer on & offs don't work, so the game is harder. I didn't seem to notice any lag on the whammy bar for me. GH1 works way better and I am very happy about that.

Hey Galvatron, you are aware that when you play GH2, menu selections must be made with the orange button with the strum. They say this in the instructions included. Also if you are using a hdtv, be sure to go to GH2 menu and calibrate it for lag. This helped me out and made the game more tolerable to play.

Also I don't seem to have rumble. Anybody else have any luck with that?

On the plus side, it seems that this adapter makes the ps3 think you have a ps3 controller connected. I was using my wireless logitech to play calling all cars and actually grew to prefer it (sorry sixaxis).

Hopefully my post doesn't seem too negative as I lke it but am bummed about my arcade sticks not being compatible.

Someone pull my ASID review from the old thread

Trust me, the ASID PS3/PS2 adapter is above and beyond every other.....all that's left to test is a fishing rod, guitar hero, light gun, and arcade stick..other than that..perfection with every music game and several different game pads.

The ASiD has issues with fighting games... Especially 2D fighting games.

It has input drops if you hold the left direction for a certain amount of time.... so if you're blocking on that side for extended periods, sucks to be you!

LVL 3 super...

[quote name='MarkMan']The ASiD has issues with fighting games... Especially 2D fighting games.

It has input drops if you hold the left direction for a certain amount of time.... so if you're blocking on that side for extended periods, sucks to be you!

LVL 3 super...[/QUOTE]

So does the Pelican fix that?

In that case, would it be ideal to have BOTH adapters and switch them in out depending on the game?

[quote name='shaunLEGEND']I'm a little bit torn on this adapter. I bought it mainly to be able to use my arcade sticks and guitar hero.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem my street fighter anniversary sticks are compatible as when I plug them in, it seems to act erratic as if someone keeps pressing left & right really quickly.

The Guitar Hero 2 compatiblity is just barely good enough in my opinion. Hammer on & offs don't work, so the game is harder. I didn't seem to notice any lag on the whammy bar for me. GH1 works way better and I am very happy about that.

Hey Galvatron, you are aware that when you play GH2, menu selections must be made with the orange button with the strum. They say this in the instructions included. Also if you are using a hdtv, be sure to go to GH2 menu and calibrate it for lag. This helped me out and made the game more tolerable to play.

Also I don't seem to have rumble. Anybody else have any luck with that?

On the plus side, it seems that this adapter makes the ps3 think you have a ps3 controller connected. I was using my wireless logitech to play calling all cars and actually grew to prefer it (sorry sixaxis).

Hopefully my post doesn't seem too negative as I lke it but am bummed about my arcade sticks not being compatible.[/quote]

I just caught the menu mode in the instructions for GH2 so my mistake, although I have not tested it yet. As for the lag issue with the whammy bar, I don't think calibration for the HDTV will help as when I was strumming the notes, there was no lag. But I will try that later as well.

When I read your post, I got out my SF Anniversary stick and played MvC2 with it and I didn't experience any issues. There was no lag and no "twitchiness" with the stick. I played through about 5 matches to make sure, but everything was good. Not sure what's going on with yours or maybe there is an issue with individual adapters???

One other thing I tried was Taiko Drum Master. I thought this would work well, but found that during the menu/selection screens, it will not register the selections by banging on the drum. However, in the initial startup screen, it worked. So, I switched the Sixaxis to the main controller and navigated to the start of the song and switched the active controller back to the drum and everything then registered fine throughout the song. But once I got back to the menu screen, same thing. Not sure if anybody is able to test this too with the Pelican adapter, but for me, it was barely playable as well because I don't like switching back and forth all the time.

I have no idea how the Asid adapter is or where it can be purchased, but I plan on getting a second converter so I may try that one too. However, from my tests on the Pelican adapter:

Guitar Hero 2 and Taiko Drum Master = barely playable

Arcade sticks, DDR, Beatmania controller all work fine.

Ironically, I haven't tested the Dual Shock 1 or 2 yet, so when I go back and try guitar hero 2 again, I will test these as well. However, the Pelican adapter is pretty good IMO.

[quote name='galvatron2k1']
When I read your post, I got out my SF Anniversary stick and played MvC2 with it and I didn't experience any issues. There was no lag and no "twitchiness" with the stick. I played through about 5 matches to make sure, but everything was good. Not sure what's going on with yours or maybe there is an issue with individual adapters???
.[/QUOTE]

There was a different version of the PCB in later models of the SFA stick. That might be the issue with his stick not working right with the adapter.

[quote name='galvatron2k1']

Ironically, I haven't tested the Dual Shock 1 or 2 yet, so when I go back and try guitar hero 2 again, I will test these as well. However, the Pelican adapter is pretty good IMO.[/QUOTE]

I want to test out the controllers, but I'm scared that's going to suck as well... which will make this purchase a complete waste. What the world needs is a ps3 specific guitar

[quote name='Thomas96']I want to test out the controllers, but I'm scared that's going to suck as well... which will make this purchase a complete waste. What the world needs is a ps3 specific guitar[/quote]

Agreed. Or for Red Octane to make their own converter specifically for Guitar Hero 2.

From what I have read of a review the Pelican adapter does not support rumble on dual shock controllers. However the Radioshack adapter does. But the Pelican adapter will work with DDR mats and I know the Radioshack adapter does not. I already have the Radioshack adapter and will use it for a Dual Shock 2 controller. I will probably pick up a Pelican adapter for my DDR dance pads. Hopefully Sony will release a Dual Shock 3 controller with rumble and I will pick that up. That will give me a total of 4 player capability without spending $50 each on three more Six-axis controllers. I will be able to play ps2 games with 4 players and ps3 games with 4 players as long as they don't need motion sensing capability. Does anyone know if 4 player ps1 games work on ps3?

[quote name='Purkeynator']Does anyone know if 4 player ps1 games work on ps3?[/QUOTE]Yes, just assign the slots. You can have up to 7 players, in 8 player games.

I'll add what I can here:

Asid Adapter from Fry's - This works great when using the Tekken 5 stick with Tekken: Dark Resurrection. Seems to work great in every way, and the only trouble I seem to have had was my ability to beat up that old man with the durken fighting skills. Had one 15 straight before I lost to him 3 straight times! :(

Haven't tried this one with Guitar Hero 2. I did GH1, and the buttons didn't work as they should have. Orange was green, that sort of thing. And after using 3 and 4 for 1 and 2, no other buttons seemed to work.

I bought 2 of the Pelican adapters yesteday, when Gamestop got them in. But if they really don't work well for GH and GH2 as described, I guess they are going back. Thanks all for your contributions!

For fighting games, the Pelican > all else...

ASiD, like I stated before, has signal drops and issues when holding left for extending periods of time.

The Pelican one is perfect for all fighting games on PS1/PS2/PS3 with controllers or arcade sticks...

[quote name='merkman']I'll add what I can here:

Asid Adapter from Fry's - This works great when using the Tekken 5 stick with Tekken: Dark Resurrection. Seems to work great in every way, and the only trouble I seem to have had was my ability to beat up that old man with the durken fighting skills. Had one 15 straight before I lost to him 3 straight times! :(

Haven't tried this one with Guitar Hero 2. I did GH1, and the buttons didn't work as they should have. Orange was green, that sort of thing. And after using 3 and 4 for 1 and 2, no other buttons seemed to work.

I bought 2 of the Pelican adapters yesteday, when Gamestop got them in. But if they really don't work well for GH and GH2 as described, I guess they are going back. Thanks all for your contributions![/QUOTE]

I got the Asid adapater, too. I'm going to try it with GH1 as well. It sounds like your's wasn't recognized as a GH controller, rather a regular one.

I'll also try my Beatmania pad, Taiko drums and whatever else is around.

Okay. I spent a few hours with the ASiD adapter tonight. I'm going to be returning it as it isn't perfect and in the future it may be. But until then I'm keeping my PS2 anyway. Also, as Markman said, there's no lag. I was able to get plenty of Just Greats in Beatmania and Perfects in DDR.

Here are the results:

PS2:
Taiko Drum: Fail
Guitar Hero SG: Fail
DDR Pad: Pass
PIU Pad: Pass
Guncon 1: Fail
Konami Gun: Fail
Beatmania IIDX Pad: Pass
Beatmania Pro Pad: Pass

PS1:
DDR Pad: Pass (Although I tested with DDR Disney Mix and it game seemed off-sync, but that's an unrelated issue)
Guncon 1: Fail
Konami Gun: Fail

That's all I could test. I assume the Beatmania pads work fine in the PS1 as well, but I have an American PS3, so I couldn't tell you 100%.

Hey guys, I just bought my PS3 and it should be arriving tomorrow. I wanted to ask you what PS2/USB adapter you'd recommend with these factors in mind:

1) I will be playing Devil May Cry 3 (SE), God of War II, Shadow of the Colossus, and Odin Sphere. These are probably the last PS2 games I will play.

2) I'm not interested in using Guitar Hero, DDR, or arcade stick controllers.

3) I'll be using a wireless logitech Cordless Action PS2 Controller (w/rumble). I can just plug in the wireless receiver into the USB adapter right?

3) Most importantly: I do want rumble and little-to-no lag/interference.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks!

[quote name='Poet_JD']Hey guys, I just bought my PS3 and it should be arriving tomorrow. I wanted to ask you what PS2/USB adapter you'd recommend with these factors in mind:

1) I will be playing Devil May Cry 3 (SE), God of War II, Shadow of the Colossus, and Odin Sphere. These are probably the last PS2 games I will play.

2) I'm not interested in using Guitar Hero, DDR, or arcade stick controllers.

3) I'll be using a wireless logitech Cordless Action PS2 Controller (w/rumble). I can just plug in the wireless receiver into the USB adapter right?

3) Most importantly: I do want rumble and little-to-no lag/interference.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks![/QUOTE]

Get the radioshack adapter

[quote name='notorious_pip']There was a different version of the PCB in later models of the SFA stick. That might be the issue with his stick not working right with the adapter.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my SF Anniversary stick refuses to work with the Pelican adapter as well. Which sucks since that was the primary reason I bought the adapter in the first place.

Stick works fine with PS2 and Xbox, but not with the PS3 + adapter. The little red LED flickers very rapidly, whereas when you plug other controllers in the adapter it's a steady on.

The SF Anniversary pad DOES work so it's not a total loss but still :(

Thanks to MarkMan for recommending the Pelican adapter way before I even had a PS3.

I got it earlier today with some credit @ EB. Worked like a charm on CVS2/Tekken 5 Stick

[quote name='asianxcore']Thanks to MarkMan for recommending the Pelican adapter way before I even had a PS3.

I got it earlier today with some credit @ EB. Worked like a charm on CVS2/Tekken 5 Stick[/quote]

Works like a charm for me too playing R-Types with a retro controller... makes all the difference in the world when you're dodging missiles. :)

I recommend it, though I've not played the Pelican with GH, so I can't reliably say it's perfect or not (previous reviews in this thread have said otherwise...) But that's fine... I'm really not interested in GH that much anymore..

I am having severe issues w/ my Pelican adapter and I was wondering if any of you guys could help out.

1. One of my Dual Shock 2 controllers just plain won't work (It goes up/down constantly and none of the buttons work). It is model SCPH 10010, the clear grey version if that makes a difference. This works perfectly w/ my PS2 I have still. On another note, my original PS2 controller (from PS2 launch even, also scph 10010) works with no issues.

2. My DDR Dance Pad (Cobalt Flux Pad) won't work either. It acts as if the "analog" button is constantly pressed and also is stuck on "down" and none of the other buttons work.

Any ideas? Am I just bum out of luck?

I'm picking up a Pelican adaptor today. Is everyone still having problems with it connecting to the Street Fighter Stick? I see that the Tekken stick works fine with it but I'd like to pick up two adaptors so I can play with a friend. I'd rather not hunt down another Tekken stick or buy a HRAP at this time so this would be a great help to me.

Thanks!

Picked up the Pelican Saturday. It works pretty well. Occasionally, it'll act up but I just unplug it and press the PS button. No lag whatsoever.

I got the SF pads to work with the Pelican but now it doesn't seem to work for any controller or stick. Guess I'll have to return it and pick up the HORI stick.

To those that were testing with DDR:

Did any of you happen to have metal mats? I say this because I have one of those no-name metals and it works great. I'm ready to sell my PS2 off, if one of these adaptors will work with it on a PS3.

To be clear, my mat has a connector (same as a computer monitor 15-pin connector) that goes into one of those connector boxes, which has a PS2 controller end on it. (Very similar to this. The control box they show looks like mine.)

[quote name='Rig']To those that were testing with DDR:

Did any of you happen to have metal mats? I say this because I have one of those no-name metals and it works great. I'm ready to sell my PS2 off, if one of these adaptors will work with it on a PS3.

To be clear, my mat has a connector (same as a computer monitor 15-pin connector) that goes into one of those connector boxes, which has a PS2 controller end on it. (Very similar to this. The control box they show looks like mine.)[/quote]

Up. Anyone?

Ok So I Finally Breaked ToDa And By This 15$$$ Thing, At First I Didnt Know What The hell Was Going On And Thought it Was A Wast Of 15$$$
but i got it to work with the GH2 the only probme i have for it is that wu r done playing a song u must clikc to normal then bakc to gh2 mode during the game play (do it befor the music starts) but after all thatt it works out pretty fine for me

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to mention that the radio shack adapter supports vibration in PS2 games, using regular ol' Dual Shock controllers. It works flawlesslessly, although the vibration stops when a six-axis is even plugged in. (i.e. plug in adapter, turn on system manually. Turn on six-axis when quitting a game only.)

Unfortunately, it is only ps2 games, not ps1 games. However, i have tried the Pelican, and the "super joy box 3", and neither supported vibration at all. At least i have vibration for the 100 or so PS2 games, and the 140 unplayed PS2 games i have waiting. (CAG deals, all less than $20.00.) I have not tried it with any peripheral other than a dual shock, but doubt it would work.

Now i can enjoy all the ps2 games as they were intended (with vibration), and wait for the PS3 games to go down in price.

RadioShack...It's not just for angry loners anymore.

[quote name='anarchyburger']so how does the radioshack adapter work for GH/GHII ??

i picked it up cheap but i do not own a ps3 yet so i can not test it.[/quote]

I don't own a guitar hero game, so i am not sure. (for some reason, those games appeal to me like Kariyoke, i.e., not at all.) I really am not sure.

I did get a dualshock 3 from play-asia, and now i have full vibration with all ps1/2/3 games. it is awesome. Well worth the 65.00.

bread's done
Back