Pennied PC games at GS?

j_factor

CAGiversary!
An acquaintance of mine who worked at Gamestop mentioed in passing that sometimes they penny out PC games. He told me it was stuff nobody buys, like extremely unpopular MMO's, super-obscure adventure games, and fluff like Marvel Comic Creator (which he specifically named as something that had been pennied).

Does anyone have any information on this? I've never seen anything actually marked as a penny. Is this like with guides and they're supposed to throw them out or return them? Or do they really lower the price of certain PC games to 1 cent in order to sell them?

hmm, thats news to me. I am interested in this now. I know they will penny out guides and some random stuff that nobody buys like a mouse pad. I'm gonna have to find out about this.

It's my understanding that once a game is pennied, it's supposed to be pulled. Last summer I was at my local Gamestop and found Thief II for 1 cent. I went to the counter with it and the clerk was pretty mad. He wasn't mad at me, but at the fact that it was supposed to pulled. He still sold it to me and congratulated me on getting a great deal.

So once again YMMV!

I used to work for Gamestop part time. I will vouch that yes, when those get pennied, including guides, we would throw them out. This means we would take home what we want. Keep in mind the requirement is we throw them out but that would be a waste.

Many of you complain a lot about Gamestop, but what I found to be most useful is make friends with the Manager, eventually that trickles down to the reps and if you ask them they may save pennied stuff for you.

Also, be careful of stuff that gets pennied out. Sometimes things like Tabula Rasa get sold and those servers don't exist anymore.

Well coincidentally, I happened across a pennied game today: Thayer's Quest. It wasn't marked a penny, it had an old price tag on it. Actually I've noticed that my GS has a strong tendency to have non-current prices on their PC games. Anyway I bought it without issue. It's not exactly a well-loved or famous game, and it's kind of old, so it definitely "fits" as a pennied game.

Yes, GS pennies out lots of old merchandise including guides, toys, clothing, hats, controllers, accessories, and yes, PC games.

I think the best pennied out item at GS was the $100+ PS2 samurai sword controller. I wonder if the RE chainsaw controllers ever got pennied?

bread's done
Back