People get offended when I make jokes about the Special Olympics...

Yeah, definitely a bad thing to say for someone in his position. As per the apology from the white house already issued per the link you gave.

I like him being casual in interviews etc., but that requires some caution as up in arms as many conservatives are over him and everything he does.

Haha, I heard that when he said it on Leno and thought to myself "People are going to make a big deal out of this"
And what do you know...

Can anyone answer why he even went on the tonight show. My only guess is that he's trying to keep up his "cool" appearance by making fun of the mentally disabled.

bowling.jpg

I think it's great! Obama is going to make it more socially acceptable for me to put down disadvantaged minority groups!!! I've gotta start working on my material...

LOL. Personally, if he wanted to make a joke about sports ability he should have compared his bowling skills to Bush's ability to ride a bike because everyone knows its cool to bash Bush.

Obama obviously wants to maintain the cool factor with the general public. He needs the public to like him and hate just about everyone else in order to get his complete agenda in place.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']ouch... guess going on leno wasnt that good of an idea.[/QUOTE]

This applies to everybody ever.

Obama with the quick apology was smart. Much smarter than saying something incredibly stupid that necessitates an apology.

This whole episode and snit-fit from the PC crowd is so... unnecessary.

Here is my PC police mad-lib, groups with a persecution complex everywhere should whip it out every time they feel offended. It will save the rest of us from going through the motions.

The made an offhand remark making fun of that was in no way intended to disparage the . He thinks that the are a wonderful that gives an opportunity to shine to from .

The wang made an offhand remark making fun of penis that was in no way intended to disparage the cock. He thinks that the balls are a wonderful dick that gives an opportunity to shine to vaginas from pussy.

How I do?

[quote name='rickonker']It's a good thing a Republican didn't say it. Obama can get away with this kind of stuff. ;)[/QUOTE]

Well of course he can. His heart is in the right place, so it doesn't matter if he says anything offensive. Just like Biden isn't a racist when he jokes that all 7-11's are owned by Indians. Ha, ha, that's so funny. Only white Republicans are mean spirited racists, and the black ones are Uncle Toms - don't forget it.

[quote name='bmulligan']Well of course he can. His heart is in the right place, so it doesn't matter if he says anything offensive. Just like Biden isn't a racist when he jokes that all 7-11's are owned by Indians. Ha, ha, that's so funny. Only white Republicans are mean spirited racists, and the black ones are Uncle Toms - don't forget it.[/QUOTE]
I understand the point you're making, but there's actually something to that view. If I hear someone make a racist joke, I don't always assume that person is a racist. It's possible that he or she is not a racist at all but just thinks racist jokes can be funny. Maybe that person is insensitive, stupid, or whatever, but racist? How do you know?

Hasn't everyone here heard a funny racist joke? Are you all racists?

Impressive, Obama manages to make a gaffe in his first 3 months worse than any bumbling Bush made in his entire 8yr tenure!

[quote name='Ruined']Impressive, Obama manages to make a gaffe in his first 3 months worse than any bumbling Bush made in his entire 8yr tenure![/quote]

I don't know, I don't recall anyone dying from Obama's gaffe. Well, it IS still early.

On a related note, anyone else getting tired of the "feigned outrage" every other politician is putting out in these "official statements" in response?

"I don't like what he said, let me force my PR rep to write up a 2 page response expressing how outraged I want my constituents to believe I am."

Seriously, you don't agree with what he said, we get it. Shit like that belongs on your MySpace or Twitter, not national media.

~HotShotX

[quote name='whoknows']People should quit being offended so easily.[/QUOTE]
This.

[quote name='evanft']I think this whole thing makes me like Obama more.[/QUOTE]
And This.

For the very first time -- Obama got me to crack a smile.

BTW, is it just me or does it seem like Obama is still on the campaign trail, like he's still spending a lot of time trying to make friends?

[quote name='JJSP']Is it worse than Bush telling a blind guy to take off his sunglasses indoors?[/QUOTE]

Or is it worse than the Brittish Prime Minister getting a box set of dvd's (he can't even play) from Obama, in exchange for wooden pen holders carved from the same ship as the oval office desk...

[quote name='JJSP']Is it worse than Bush telling a blind guy to take off his sunglasses indoors?[/QUOTE]

If I had to pick a winner for a Bush joke it would be his "Where are those pesky WMDs?" routine.

[quote name='thrustbucket']This.

And This.

For the very first time -- Obama got me to crack a smile.

BTW, is it just me or does it seem like Obama is still on the campaign trail, like he's still spending a lot of time trying to make friends?[/QUOTE]

Um, you mean because of the ridiculousness of being the president and appearing on the Jay Leno show? I know he must have other, more important work to do, right? Right ?

[quote name='thrustbucket']
BTW, is it just me or does it seem like Obama is still on the campaign trail, like he's still spending a lot of time trying to make friends?[/QUOTE]

Part of it does--Leno, doing his bracket on Sportscenter.

Outside of that he's just bouncing around doing town halls etc. to get support for his budget etc. And that's part of what he said he do with wanting to keep the grass roots effort going (also using his network of volunteers to go door to door to get people to write/call their congressman to ask them to support the budget etc).

I have no problem with either, especially the latter as anything that gets people more involved/informed in politics is a good thing. And I'm not going to begrudge him taking some time to have fun on Sportscenter or Leno and keep campaigning more or less. Sure he wants to be a two term president.

He's also on 60 Minutes tonight to take questions on the budget and economy etc. Leno is kind of frivolous, but I like seeing the President taking questions about his agenda on 60 Minutes etc. Much better than Bush just doing whatever he wanted, seldom taking questions from the media, and screaming executive privilege all the time. If a president is going to push an ambitious agenda, he should be transparent and willing to sell it himself and take hard questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BillyBob29']LOL. Personally, if he wanted to make a joke about sports ability he should have compared his bowling skills to Bush's ability to ride a bike because everyone knows its cool to bash Bush.

Obama obviously wants to maintain the cool factor with the general public. He needs the public to like him and hate just about everyone else in order to get his complete agenda in place.[/QUOTE]

Oh shut the fuck up.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Or is it worse than the Brittish Prime Minister getting a box set of dvd's (he can't even play) from Obama, in exchange for wooden pen holders carved from the same ship as the oval office desk...[/quote]
He could play them if he hacks his DVD player and makes it region 0. ;)

[quote name='Kaijufan']He could play them if he hacks his DVD player and makes it region 0. ;)[/quote]

But then that would make him a criminal. Oh wait, he's a politician. No difference there. Either way, it's hilarious.

poor form.. it's really not that offensive, but as POTUS he's got to watch himself a little closer than that.. media response has been about as expected, not too harsh not too lenient, overall a meh discussion for a meh event

[quote name='thrustbucket']BTW, is it just me or does it seem like Obama is still on the campaign trail, like he's still spending a lot of time trying to make friends?[/quote]

Would you expect him to do anything other then that? It's all his political career has known.

bread's done
Back