Perfect World

kellehair

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
This seems to be the perfect MMORPG for CAGers. It's free! It's not a bad game either.

Other than a brief trial of WoW this my first MMORPG. I have to say I'm having fun so far. Lots of the usual messenger and kill quests but leveling and getting loot is fun. I'm a level 16 Blademaster (saying that makes me feel incredibly dorky).

Is anyone playing this game? Things are more fun when playing in a squad but I don't know anyone who plays games like these.

IGN review: http://pc.ign.com/articles/949/949350p1.html

Game website: http://pwi.perfectworld.com/

Trust me, this crappy pic does not do the game justice...

perfect-world-20090129014815389-000.jpg

I rolled a female toon. Some male character picked me up and took me to a "romantic hilltop".

I haven't booted the game since. And the showers, they burn, yet I still feel unclean.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Looks like every korean grindfest MMO.

What makes this one special?[/QUOTE]

For one thing, it's free. And I hear grinding isn't necessary until level 35, so why not give it a shot? I'm up to level 18 and I'm having a blast so far. I imagine an MMORPG vet won't be blown away by it though.

Well not trying to sound like a jerk, but all of these types of games are free. Free with microtransaction is the norm for these games. Free Korean MMO games are a dime a dozen, so unless it does something really great (Atlantica Online for example) its usually not worth your time to play them. There's just so many that are essentially the exact same game with a different skin.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Looks like every korean grindfest MMO.

What makes this one special?[/quote]

You can pick up other characters and carry them around.

[quote name='Sideswiper']You can pick up other characters and carry them around.[/QUOTE]

rape and molestation in an mmo? about time!

[quote name='crystalklear64']Well not trying to sound like a jerk, but all of these types of games are free. Free with microtransaction is the norm for these games. Free Korean MMO games are a dime a dozen, so unless it does something really great (Atlantica Online for example) its usually not worth your time to play them. There's just so many that are essentially the exact same game with a different skin.[/QUOTE]

That's funny. I've heard mention of free games with microtransactions before but I don't recall a prior game of this style garnering so much attention. I thought it was worth a look at least. I played for a couple hours last night and I'm still having a blast.

I googled Atlantica Online and it doesn't seem like I would enjoy it as much. More grinding and more focus on group play. What are your thoughts on it?

These games all get really stale really fast. They all boil down to identical framework with different colors of paint.

Since the games are largely free, they're also largely devoid of actual content. The whole experience is artificially lengthened by making things farther apart, requiring 100 kills, or needing 50 ingredients.

RPGs are largely fetch quests and grinds to start with, but Korean FreePGs exacerbate the issue 100 fold.

[quote name='kellehair']That's funny. I've heard mention of free games with microtransactions before but I don't recall a prior game of this style garnering so much attention. I thought it was worth a look at least. I played for a couple hours last night and I'm still having a blast.

I googled Atlantica Online and it doesn't seem like I would enjoy it as much. More grinding and more focus on group play. What are your thoughts on it?[/QUOTE]
What Atlantic Online does differently is streamline the entire experience with time saving things. It doesn't change the actual gameplay formula of all these games, but it does have many features that speed it up. Ever lose track of your quests? 1 click and you'll automatically move to where ever you're supposed to be. Teleportation between all the towns. Beastiary you gain from kill the monsters. Leveling up by teaching others crafting skills. Its a bunch of little things that add up to be a great feature list.

The battle system is strategic turn based with focus on character placement and formation (put your tanks in the front to block damage, snipers in the back to hit any of their dudes while being safe from hits etc.)

Anyway, since you seem to be new to these games, heres a pretty good resource:
http://www.onrpg.com/MMO/Free-MMORPG

In the forums they also post guides to register for foreign games.

I've never even heard of Perfect World until this thread, but there have been plenty with tons of attention.

Silk Road was huge for awhile.

R.O.S.E. online was popular until they started charging for it, I think its free now again though.

Knight Online.

The list goes on and on. Check out the link and find one you like for awhile then move on to the next. That inevitably is what happens with these games until you learn to let em' drop.

The only free MMO I've found worth its salt is Dungeon Runners. No microtransactions, but it's ad-supported. $5/month is optional for full access to stuff. A mix of Guild Wars and Titan Quest type gameplay, WoW aesthetics, lots of humor and satire. It's from NCSoft.

Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine Online will likely be worth a look as well.

[quote name='Sokkratez']

Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine Online will likely be worth a look as well.[/QUOTE]

Everyone here that tried it said the same thing, and it wasn't good, unfortunately.

I only tried the BETA training mission. It seemed pretty SMTish. Seeing the square rooms connected to each other in a chase cam is a lot different than from the usual isometric view. But it felt like a take on the real thing, sans the battle screen.

bread's done
Back