PERSONA 3 is coming....BUT WHY NOT FES?!?!?!

Oswald9599

CAGiversary!
:hot: So persona 3 is coming to the U.S. (finally), but Atlus usa has already announced that the delays have not meant we are getting the arguably worthy edition of the FES appendix disk. Now is this a ploy to see if we will buy the standard and then check sales and release FES, or is this just the classic atlus not giving us that extra bone a la Persona 2:innocent sin. Whats your thoughts? Petitions anyone.

The fact that we are even getting Persona 3 is fine to me. I'd certainly pay more for FES down the line if I needed. Makes sense to me if Atlus brings FES here only based on sales.

Well, to be fair, Persona 2 came out a looong time ago. Atlus seems to want to give fans what they want now. But yeah, my guess is that we'll get the Fes append disc at some point (since there's both the complete version and the add-on version for Fes) and Atlus cut Fes so that they can get the game out sooner rather than later. It'd be nice if we got Fes sometime later this year or early next year though.

The game was never delayed. The other release date is just a place holder from EB. innocent sin from what I heard did not get sony approval for a US release. FES is not just a bonus, it includes 40 hours of new material. It make no sense for Atlus to put in the extra work.

[quote name='62t']The game was never delayed. The other release date is just a place holder from EB. innocent sin from what I heard did not get sony approval for a US release. FES is not just a bonus, it includes 40 hours of new material. It make no sense for Atlus to put in the extra work.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Fes adds a surprising amount of stuff... after finding out just how much shit is in that, it really only makes sense for Atlus USA to bring that out as a separate title and charge another $30 or $40 for it.

I don't really understand why people complain about this. Fes is a separate (albeit, add-on) product. Both DDS 1 & 2 had been released in Japan before DDS 1 was released here, but I wouldn't expect Atlus to sell me both of them for just $50.

I was surprised to see "Shin Megami Tensei" in the title. I always thought Atlus wanted to seperate it from the actual SMT series. While it would be nice to have FES, I have to agree with the majority and be happy we are even getting P3. Atlus has been doing a great job in getting me my SMT fix.

Still wish I could play Persona 2: Sin & Punishment

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']I was surprised to see "Shin Megami Tensei" in the title. I always thought Atlus wanted to seperate it from the actual SMT series. While it would be nice to have FES, I have to agree with the majority and be happy we are even getting P3. Atlus has been doing a great job in getting me my SMT fix.

Still wish I could play Persona 2: Sin & Punishment[/QUOTE]

So did we learn something today, or are we still standing by the "Persona is not SMT?" :lol:

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']I was surprised to see "Shin Megami Tensei" in the title. I always thought Atlus wanted to seperate it from the actual SMT series. [/QUOTE]
I think now, with the decent successes of SMT3 and DDS, it made the most sense for them marketability-wise to reconnect them by name in the US.

[quote name='hero101']What is FES?[/quote]

Persona 3: Fes
Atlus announced that on April 19 an add-on disk for Persona 3 will be released called Persona 3: Fes (ペルソナ3フェス, Perusona 3 Huesu?). There will also be a "Directors Cut" version, which includes both Persona 3 and Persona 3: Fes. "Fes" is said to come from the word "festival." Fes claims to add another 30 hours of gameplay to the Persona 3 game. It includes a chapter after you defeat the main boss, called the Aegis chapter. Unfortunately, the U.S. will not receive the FES Append disc as stated in a recent Atlus USA press release of the game.[2]
Mysterious Character from Fes:
  • Metis (メティス, Meteisu?)
Persona: Psyche
Rumors said, she is Aegis' sister. There is a cut-scene from the game where she does address Aegis as 'sister'. What this means is entirely up to debate, however.

Taken from Wikipedia

Also here is the Persona 3 FES Trailers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI7r4CO2V0k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4JSGfIK_2E

I dont really agree with combining the Persona and SMT titles together due only to the fact that the Focus of the games are so different. SMT titles were always about summoning demons and end of the world stuff. Persona games are always a bit more personal and spend more time with dialogue fleshing out characters. Though I do understand it makes it easier stateside.

[quote name='pete5883']I don't really understand why people complain about this. Fes is a separate (albeit, add-on) product. Both DDS 1 & 2 had been released in Japan before DDS 1 was released here, but I wouldn't expect Atlus to sell me both of them for just $50.[/quote]

I never had an issue of them not selling it to me for $50, I just wish that we folks stateside would recieve the full experience when it comes to these games, at least once in a while. I would gladly pay $80 to play the whole game with FES. The japanese folks Uncut version retails for about $65 and comes with FES and PERSONA 3 together.

[quote name='62t']The game was never delayed. The other release date is just a place holder from EB. innocent sin from what I heard did not get sony approval for a US release. FES is not just a bonus, it includes 40 hours of new material. It make no sense for Atlus to put in the extra work.[/quote]

Dreaded 3 posts in a row.

The game was delayed. Atlus USA's official website stated PERSONA 3 as being released in early june officially, that was in march. They only announced the July 24th date in May, which is when EB and GS updated thier sites and presales. I had actually preordered a copy from EB and had to redo the presale due to sku change.

DDS isn't really part of the SMT series per se. I remember emailing Atlus at the time, and they agreed it was for marketing purposes. People see SMT, they have some idea what they're getting into, gameplay-wise.

yeah, SMT is just Atlus' way of creating some brand recognition in the U.S. so these games don't look like a whole bunch of random one-off titles. It's a good way to get RPG fans, since there's a lot of series loyalty in the genre.

I think all the games are made by R+D though...correct me if I'm wrong.

waiting for Chacrana to chime in here... :lol:

[quote name='Oswald9599']I never had an issue of them not selling it to me for $50, I just wish that we folks stateside would recieve the full experience when it comes to these games, at least once in a while. I would gladly pay $80 to play the whole game with FES. The japanese folks Uncut version retails for about $65 and comes with FES and PERSONA 3 together.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd be more than happy to pay probably even $100 for the full Persona 3 and Fes. My concern isn't price -- it's whether or not we get to play Fes at all... I would really hate to miss such a large chunk of Persona 3 by not having a chance to play Fes.

Though now that I think about it... Deluxe box... mebbe it'll have room for a second disc coming out later on down the line...

[quote name='Apossum']yeah, SMT is just Atlus' way of creating some brand recognition in the U.S. so these games don't look like a whole bunch of random one-off titles. It's a good way to get RPG fans, since there's a lot of series loyalty in the genre.

I think all the games are made by R+D though...correct me if I'm wrong.

waiting for Chacrana to chime in here... :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah yeah, I realized I'm a broken record on most things. But... but... SMT games have the same sorta themes and battle systems in them! And DDS is part of SMT coz... coz you fight the Hitoshura (the Nocturne main character) and stuff like that.

Of course, I don't really care. I like the games because they're good, not necessarily because they're part of some series. Same reason I won't be buying Final Fantasy II when it's rereleased.

[quote name='Chacrana']Yeah yeah, I realized I'm a broken record on most things. But... but... SMT games have the same sorta themes and battle systems in them! And DDS is part of SMT coz... coz you fight the Hitoshura (the Nocturne main character) and stuff like that.

Of course, I don't really care. I like the games because they're good, not necessarily because they're part of some series. Same reason I won't be buying Final Fantasy II when it's rereleased.[/QUOTE]

nah, just joking since we had this conversation last night.

I know you like the individual games, i'm just saying it's a smart move from a marketing perspective. all the games are linked in one way or another (if only by Jack Frost), so the SMT name gives people an idea of what they're getting (kinda.)

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I think now, with the decent successes of SMT3 and DDS, it made the most sense for them marketability-wise to reconnect them by name in the US.[/quote]

Yeah, I was also thinking that was the reason. I wonder if they'll start slapping the "SMT" name on everything just like Square/Enix does with Final Fantasy.

[quote name='Vinny']Wait, I thought both Persona and Persona 2 had SMT in the title? May be not...[/QUOTE]

Unless I'm mistaken, Persona 1 and 2 were sidestories for the SMT series. They've always been a part of it, though Shin Megami Tensei wasn't in the title.

persona was originally part of the "REVELATIONS" series, but I think that only carried over to the first persona game which ended the revelations story line, 2 was not officialy anything , it was just persona 2

Well I'm confused as shit. I still need to play Persona 2 EP as well... it's been on my shelf for like... close to a year and a half.

Btw, your sig continues to annoy me since all I see in that picture is a looming $60+ purchase.

damn I wanna play this game so much,

but I refuse to even begin it until I finish Persona 2,

and I refuse to begin that game until I finish Breath of Fire 3,

which I refuse to begun until I beat Suikoden II,

which I've been 20 hours in for the last 2 months~!!

ugh... I'ma never get to play P3! NEVER!! noooo~~~!!!

The breakdown,

Shin Megami Tensei/Megami Tensei games
The first Shin Megami Tensei was ported to the PC Engine Super CD, Mega CD, PlayStation and Game Boy Advance. Shin Megami Tensei II was ported to the PlayStation and Game Boy Advance. And Shin Megami Tensei If... also came out on the PlayStation neither however came stateside.

SPIN OFFS

Numerous sub-series in different genres have been created over the years. They are:

I think Revelations is just what old Atlus was going to call the SMT games. Old Atlus wasn't very good. P1 and 2 were SMT spinoffs, but since no SMT games had been released here, adding that name in would not have helped matters any. I kind of want to play P2, but boy did I not like P1.

[quote name='pete5883']I kind of want to play P2, but boy did I not like P1.[/QUOTE]

In P1 the loading times are awful. It takes about 8-10 seconds in and out of a fight. The battles are not quick at all, plus the random encounter rate is very high (which they even dumbed down for the American release.) In later levels it gets tedious cause (like in all SMT games) the dungeons are mazes and you often become disorented after all the fighting and dead ends, which just leads to more tedious fighting. You gotta have alot of patience to beat it.

But, back in the early days of the PSX I was so desperate for an RPG I played anything the had HP & EXP. But don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the orginal P1.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']In P1 the loading times are awful. It takes about 8-10 seconds in and out of a fight. The battles are not quick at all, plus the random encounter rate is very high (which they even dumbed down for the American release.) In later levels it gets tedious cause (like in all SMT games) the dungeons are mazes and you often become disorented after all the fighting and dead ends, which just leads to more tedious fighting. You gotta have alot of patience to beat it.

But, back in the early days of the PSX I was so desperate for an RPG I played anything the had HP & EXP. But don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the orginal P1.[/QUOTE]
I was really hoping this post would end in "but P2 is a lot better in all of those respects."

[quote name='pete5883']I was really hoping this post would end in "but P2 is a lot better in all of those respects."[/QUOTE]

It is. However I can't exactlly say, "OMG, go out and buy Persona 2 right now, it's way coolerz yo." cause you never really said what you disliked about P1.

Persona 2 EP still does not hole a candle to IS. I will however pull to Rodimus' and the fact that P1 was my first forray into the whole Megaten universe and at the time it came out it was like nothing else. It holds a bit of nostalgia.

[quote name='Chacrana']Does Persona 2 have a good story? Eternal Punishment, that is.[/QUOTE]
I thought it was pretty good...then again, I never got around to finishing it. Can't remember why.

aw hell yeay man,

it's a great story.

a story about a girl who wants to be the biggest star in the journalism world

so she goes all underground and shit for juicy info, but it gets too juicy.

so she's like "damn it's so juicy, let's go to jamba juice"

so they go to jamba juice, but there's like HELLA monsters and shit, so they gotta fight them.

but it's all good tho, coz usually when u fight monsters they leave money behind, so it basically paid for the jamba juice

as well as the Baja Fresh rite next door.

hellz, they even had enough leftover to go to the nearby best buy for the new cd by the LOX/D-Block

but they couldnt listen to it coz they had ipods and not discmans, so they had to get a discman, but it's like why??

I mean, they're so obsolete now, and huge too! they're already carrying like 99x potions and ethers, u think they got space for a discman?!?!

hell naw,

so they gotta go back home to rip that shit into mp3, but of course there are more monsters.

so by the time they reach home, they got even more money and spend it all at amazon.com and victoriassecret.com,

the game basically progresses like that until the end when they save up enough money for a car.

then they can drive around now, coz usually when u ride a vehicle u get to avoid fighting monsters.

it's real dope tho

[quote name='Chacrana']Does Persona 2 have a good story? Eternal Punishment, that is.[/quote]

Not bad, though the translation for text and minimal voice work are a bit dated and forced. Innocent sin has alot of connections with EP so in a way both story's connect. Its kind of like we are missing a part by not playing both but you could just play the one version and get the jist.

I preordered P3 and Riviera PSP about a week ago, can't wait to get my hands on this game and the artbook. I love the art, hopefully someone will translate the Persona 3 manga.

I forgot about the manga. Im hoping the soundtrack is good. Im almost tempted to get the import version of "uncut" and try to play but I doubt it will be much fun.

And now the delay. Though Making a better binding for the included art book seems like a valid delay, you would think they would notice something like that alot earlier than this morning or even just this past week for that matter.

I'm sad about the delay too, I wanted a nice fresh retail copy to go into my collection... oh well more money for me to spend at comic-con... I wouldn't even open the game since I already played through the US version :)

Lol I would for a copy of Persona 3 at this point as well. Atlus always takes a good long time localizing games. Which is why Odin sphere coming out so close to japanese release, stateside was a breath of fresh air. I just wish all thier endeavors were like that.

bread's done
Back