Persona 4 - $36.99 on Amazon now! (was $34.99)

Mines didn't adjust 2 days ago, so I just cancelled and reordered it. Like an idiot, I preordered P4 with LA2, which still hasn't shipped because of P4. I hope I still get the art book, which was the whole point of me even considering LA2 in the first place.

Game of the Year and only $35 with an art book and soundtrack... Atlus + Amazon = :applause:

It's a shame all of the awards people will probably ignore this for GOTY because it's on PS2.

/Wants SMT 3 or Persona 5 on PS3 with some updated graphics next

^ It was announced a long time ago that an SMT was in the works for the PS3. Dunno if that project has been on hold, though.

cannot WAIT for this game to come out! just a couple more weeks! already got it pre-ordered at GS but just thought I should tell EVERYONE to BUY THIS GAME!

Yeah, I did another preorder on this for $35, only to go through my other preorders to see that my original preorder already had the price drop along with 5% gold box discount for a total of $33.49.

Duly noted and swiftly cancelled. :p

Wasn't able to get any other discounts on it, but I went ahead and pre-ordered Kingdom hearts RE as well as getting this Persona 4 steal :D

So...yay?

I've never played a Persona game although I hear people rave about them. What are they about and do you need to play the previous ones to understand the story?

[quote name='Rodster']I've never played a Persona game although I hear people rave about them. What are they about and do you need to play the previous ones to understand the story?[/quote]
Each Persona is a stand-alone game (for that matter, most JRPGs). Only a few characters are common to each one.

[quote name='happy']Game of the Year and only $35 with an art book and soundtrack... Atlus + Amazon = :applause:[/quote]

Did anyone get charged tax cause mine is $37.92?:cry: Im not sure if amazon charges tax..

[quote name='jchen']Did anyone get charged tax cause mine is $37.92?:cry: Im not sure if amazon charges tax..[/quote]

Are you from New York?

[quote name='Rodster']I've never played a Persona game although I hear people rave about them. What are they about and do you need to play the previous ones to understand the story?[/quote]

It's essentially a dating simulator. Do you go for the nerdy girl who's pretty forgiving, or the hot one with whom you need to answer every damn question correctly? Alternatively you can try to balance multiple girlfriends at once. I think I read somewhere that Persona 4 allows you to date males as well, although I'm not sure.

[quote name='happy']It's essentially a dating simulator. Do you go for the nerdy girl who's pretty forgiving, or the hot one with whom you need to answer every damn question correctly? Alternatively you can try to balance multiple girlfriends at once. I think I read somewhere that Persona 4 allows you to date males as well, although I'm not sure.[/quote]

Great way to overlook the part where Persona is a JRPG/ dungeon-crawler...

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Great way to overlook the part where Persona is a JRPG/ dungeon-crawler...[/quote]

The dungeon parts are only to allow you to continue the story and get more hot anime-girl action.

Just because Gears of War 2 has a tooth-dodging part doesn't mean it's a tooth-dodging game. It's basically the same with Persona 4.

[quote name='Bulrog']Are you from New York?[/QUOTE]

Amazon charges tax in losts of states..
"Items sold by Amazon.com LLC, or its subsidiaries, and shipped to destinations in the states of Kansas, Kentucky, New York, North Dakota, or Washington are subject to tax."

And I think they charge tax in Cali too, don't they?

[quote name='Vinny']Amazon charges tax in losts of states..
"Items sold by Amazon.com LLC, or its subsidiaries, and shipped to destinations in the states of Kansas, Kentucky, New York, North Dakota, or Washington are subject to tax."

And I think they charge tax in Cali too, don't they?[/quote]

I wouldn't consider 5 states "lots."

And no, they don't charge tax in CA.

Even though I live in Kentucky and got charged tax this is still under MSRP and comes with all the goodies. I never played an SMT or a Persona game til Persona 3: FES, but FES was so uniquely great(storytelling wise and gameplay wise) that I'm preordering #4 right off the bat. I'm glad I took a chance on FES when it came out, I just hope P4 doesn't have an FES down the road and I have to rebuy it :x

You also spend equal, if not more time in the dungeon crawling aspects of Persona 3, so I don't consider it a dating sim in the slightest. The closest game I was able to find to compare it to was Azure Dreams on PSX, but with Personas and not Monsters. Plus the cast of P3 was fantastic, not a single character I didn't like(Fuuka maybe just because her voice actor grated on my nerves.)

Sucks that David Paterson or whoever it was forced sites who ship to NY state tax us. Was great when I would just pay the MSRP & free 2-day shipping but now I spend less on Amazon because of tax. Even started going back to J&L + Initial D in Chinatown more often now.

If only they realized sales tax is a bad thing...

[quote name='happy']It's essentially a dating simulator. Do you go for the nerdy girl who's pretty forgiving, or the hot one with whom you need to answer every damn question correctly? Alternatively you can try to balance multiple girlfriends at once. I think I read somewhere that Persona 4 allows you to date males as well, although I'm not sure.[/quote]

Thanks for the response happy. Btw how long is this game? I seem to interest in games that are to long in nature.

[quote name='Rodster']Thanks for the response happy. Btw how long is this game? I seem to interest in games that are to long in nature.[/quote]

As others have said it's a dungeon crawler too (some people on here need to lighten up) and probably has the best battle system of any RPG. You equip demons who provide different abilities/powers, and which demons you can use are dependent on your relationships (it's nice that your actions outside of battle have an effect in battle). It's also probably going to have some really hard fights, it forces you to figure out monsters' immunities/weaknesses (no just buying a good sword and physically attacking everything with an occasional healing spell as in most FF games). If you've ever played Nocturne the battles will be similar.

(The above description is based on P3, which as I understand is very similar to 4)

As far as length it will probably be really long. That said, there's a good amount of variety in what you do (most of your time is not in the dungeons) and the side stories with all of the friends tend to be very good.

[quote name='Demix500']thank god for amazon. Tax going to 9.25% in SD[/quote]

Damn. That's one percent higher than LA. Why the sudden drastic increase?

[quote name='WTPolaris']Even though I live in Kentucky and got charged tax this is still under MSRP and comes with all the goodies. I never played an SMT or a Persona game til Persona 3: FES, but FES was so uniquely great(storytelling wise and gameplay wise) that I'm preordering #4 right off the bat. I'm glad I took a chance on FES when it came out, I just hope P4 doesn't have an FES down the road and I have to rebuy it :x[/QUOTE]
Atlus issued a press release announcing there would be no FES equivalent for P4.

[quote name='Vinny']Amazon charges tax in losts of states..

And I think they charge tax in Cali too, don't they?[/quote]

Whoops. I only thought New York, my bad.

[quote name='Rodster']Thanks for the response happy. Btw how long is this game? I seem to interest in games that are to long in nature.[/quote]

I spent almost 300 hours on P3 FES.

[quote name='Vegan']I spent almost 300 hours on P3 FES.[/quote]

Whoa :shock:

Can you finish the story in less time? Anyway based on what you guys said I ordered PES4. :)

[quote name='Shady3011']Damn. That's one percent higher than LA. Why the sudden drastic increase?[/QUOTE]

If the Governator has his way, local tax is going to be 10.25% around here.

[quote name='Rodster']Whoa :shock:

Can you finish the story in less time? Anyway based on what you guys said I ordered PES4. :)[/quote]

A playthrough of P3 without FES is probably in the 40-50 hour range. If you want all the cool abilities a little more (who doesn't want to summon Lucifer, Satan, and Messiah). If you want to see all of the story you either need to play through twice or use a guide (not recommended) just because you need to organize each day almost perfectly and never answer questions wrong to max out all of your relationships in one playthrough.

[quote name='62t']Also i would suggests getting FES (now that it is $20) first before playing P4.[/quote]

Why? I thought others said they are separate stories or are they? :whistle2:k

[quote name='Rodster']Why? I thought others said they are separate stories or are they? :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

separate story, but it will be easier to go from P3 to P4 than P4 to P3 as they made some gameplay improvements that would make it harder to go back.

[quote name='62t']separate story, but it will be easier to go from P3 to P4 than P4 to P3 as they made some gameplay improvements that would make it harder to go back.[/quote]

Gotcha ok i'll pickup PES 3 as well. :cool:

[quote name='happy']A playthrough of P3 without FES is probably in the 40-50 hour range. If you want all the cool abilities a little more (who doesn't want to summon Lucifer, Satan, and Messiah). If you want to see all of the story you either need to play through twice or use a guide (not recommended) just because you need to organize each day almost perfectly and never answer questions wrong to max out all of your relationships in one playthrough.[/quote]

Thanks again happy for the explanation. :)

Ordered!
smile.gif

Great price on persona 4 also the december issue of PLAY magazine has persona 4 on it's cover, reviews, and a few more things I'm going to get me one to read this week the cover art on the magazine is so nice. :drool:

[quote name='happy']A playthrough of P3 without FES is probably in the 40-50 hour range. If you want all the cool abilities a little more (who doesn't want to summon Lucifer, Satan, and Messiah). If you want to see all of the story you either need to play through twice or use a guide (not recommended) just because you need to organize each day almost perfectly and never answer questions wrong to max out all of your relationships in one playthrough.[/quote]

For the Journey, 40 to 50 hours is way too low. I've played through the journey twice and both times it took me over 80 hours. I mean trying to rush through the game I could imagine 70 hours maybe 65, but 50 is too quick.

[quote name='Bulrog']For the Journey, 40 to 50 hours is way too low. I've played through the journey twice and both times it took me over 80 hours. I mean trying to rush through the game I could imagine 70 hours maybe 65, but 50 is too quick.[/quote]
lol i beat and final saved on the journey @ 90 hrs and im 15hrs into the answer. =\

[quote name='Bulrog']For the Journey, 40 to 50 hours is way too low. I've played through the journey twice and both times it took me over 80 hours. I mean trying to rush through the game I could imagine 70 hours maybe 65, but 50 is too quick.[/quote]

I can't really imagine doing everything on the first playthrough. There's something like 13-15 social links (I think I missed one completely on my first playthrough), as well as 3 social stats (Intelligence, Charm, Courage) to max out.

I barely managed to get 9 maxed links and maxed my stats by the end of my first playthrough, and something like level 83. Not to mention doing all the requests, getting all Personas (first playthrough I ended up with 75% or so), and getting awesome weapons via Persona weapon fusion. Luckily my second playthrough was a bit smoother, as I allowed myself to use a guide since there would be no spoilers.

I do wonder how long P4 will be though, since The Journey (1st playthrough) took me roughly 75 hours, and The Answer around 25.

I started playing FES in May. Last night I reached the 201st floor of Tartarus and am at about 100hrs. This is even with the guide and checking FAQs. The guide suggests there are at least around 70 floors to go. Jebus. P3 is great but I have to admit that the sheer length of Tartarus can get tedious.

[quote name='Nirron']
I do wonder how long P4 will be though, since The Journey (1st playthrough) took me roughly 75 hours, and The Answer around 25.[/quote]

Hmm no clue how long persona 4 will be, but I've read there's multiple endings so that you get so I'm sure if you want to see all of the endings you'll have to play a few times to make the right choices for each ending I dunno though hopefully the P4 guide will have something on this..

[quote name='meerkatgamer']Hmm no clue how long persona 4 will be, but I've read there's multiple endings so that you get so I'm sure if you want to see all of the endings you'll have to play a few times to make the right choices for each ending I dunno though hopefully the P4 guide will have something on this..[/quote]

P3 had multiple endings and it's longer than fuck.

uh no not really, Thousand Arms on PS1 had more of a dating sim element and even it didn't come close to being essentially a dating sim

you have no idea what a real dating simulator game is do you?

[quote name='buckythekat']uh no not really, Thousand Arms on PS1 had more of a dating sim element and even it didn't come close to being essentially a dating sim

you have no idea what a real dating simulator game is do you?[/quote]
Thousand Arms players/fans UNITE!

Yeah, P3/P4 isn't a dating sim, not at all. At least, not in the traditional sense...more of 'follow this person around and give advice'

I'm on my first playthrough of P3 FES, still in The Journey and the date on my game is 9/12. That's about halfway through til the end and I currently just hit 40 hours and I play through at a pretty leisurely pace(doing all the Elizabeth requests I can, especially finding items in Tartarus tends to eat up a lot of time). Tartarus can be pretty daunting(think I'm on floor 112 or so) but I think what didn't bug me about that so far is that it's still randomly generated so it doesn't feel as repetitive as it could have.

The game is so unique, I can't think of a better way to describe it. It's just a game you have to play to understand, it's not really easy to pin down as "a typical JRPG" or "a dating sim" or "a dungeon crawl" entirely though it does have elements of all you can not participate in all of them(I don't think you have to actually finish Tartarus as the events to move the game along story wise happen outside of Tartarus. I do think the last boss is at the top though(sorry I don't know for sure, I haven't finished it yet.)

I was going to preorder this but won't have the time to play it.

I might pick up P3: FES and dabble in it since I've never played a Persona game but heard they were fun, I just can't dedicate all that time into a single game.

bread's done
Back