Phantom Hourglass Review: IGN 9.0

Man, only a 9?? What a joke.

Just kidding.

The tone of the review did seem more negative than a 9.0, however. I've heard other complaints about the shorter nature of the dungeons and a lower overall difficulty, but to me that is just the nature of a portable game. Unless I can save at any time, I don't want to spend 2 hours to beat a dungeon. More portable games should be designed this way.

Either way, I can't wait until Oct. 1.

[quote name='lebowsky']Man, only a 9?? What a joke.

Just kidding.

The tone of the review did seem more negative than a 9.0, however.
[/quote]

And Zelda games never get overrated. No, sir.

It does sound like they really wanted to like the game more than they did, though. I cannot remember the last review that seemed to be so full of excuses for why they shouldn't be so hard on it.

And I find it amusing that they get negative comments from people who think 9.0 isn't high enough.

[quote name='lebowsky']
Unless I can save at any time, I don't want to spend 2 hours to beat a dungeon. More portable games should be designed this way.
[/quote]

The DS mitigates this somewhat, but honestly -- there's no reason not to have a save available at any time. You shouldn't have to make the whole game easier or shorter to mitigate save issues.

hmmm...great review score but all the stuff they mention, namely about the side kicks blabbing the whole time, the obvious clues, and repeating dungeons, makes it sound like I would punt my DS while playing this.

I didn't think it sounded negative. They were fairly positive, if not overwhelming positive, but they were making sure people knew what they were getting.

Weird, could have sworn I posted in this thread last night...must have not hit submit.

Anyway. Agree with most of the comments above. 9.0 seems a little high for all the complaints they have. Will be interesting to see what Gamespot and EGM/1up give it since they're always harsher (and thus more in line with my personal scores than IGN most of the time).

I'm not totally sold on stylus control, and don't like the sound of shorter, easier dungeons, annoying side kicks talking all the time, and the game being easier than other portable Zeldas (Minish Cap was pretty damn easy).

That said, it's Zelda so it's a must buy for me. But definitely not going to make time to play it next week. I just bought Picross, and have some backlog on other consoles to deal with. I'll probably wait and pick Zelda up in November as I have to do a good bit of traveling for work, so that would be a good time to have a new 15-20 hour portable game for the cross country flights etc.

[quote name='clockworkgreen']I didn't think it sounded negative. They were fairly positive, if not overwhelming positive, but they were making sure people knew what they were getting.[/quote]

I tend to agree, and after reading it I'm pretty pleased that I went ahead and pre-ordered this one. It sounds like a good time to me.

bread's done
Back