Phone Down the Toilet: What Now?

genderbreak

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So, like the dumbass I am, I accidentally dropped my phone in the toilet. Three days old. God. And my phone before last got dropped in some Kool-Aid.  :fridge:

Any suggestions on how to go about fixing it? I did the obvious and took all the components I could out (micro SD, micro SIM, battery, case, etc) and right now the whole thing it in some rice with a fan on a low setting blowing at it. I ordered a new battery because that's how I fixed my old one, and supposedly batteries fry pretty easily in water. (I'm not sure, I'm not much of an expert.)

I realize that there's countless suggestions on how to fix a water logged phone out on the internet, but I've seen answers ranged from "you're  :censored: " to dunking it in isopropyl alcohol. So I wanted to get actual suggestions from real people, directly.

And if it's none of the solutions I try work, what do you suggest I do then? I've checked on some of the sites that claim to be able to fix, but the fix would cost more than I paid for the phone. So I guess I'd be left with eBaying it for whatever I could get out of it. 

Thanks in advance, as always.

Agree with pacifickarma on the rice. Wait until everything is dried out and test the phone. Hopefully everything will still work.

Let everything dry over night (and a bit into the evening) and just tested it and no luck. Damn, this sucks. I ordered a new battery and hopefully that will fix the problem. If not, I guess I'll search to see if anyone can fix it for a reasonable price (probably not). 

I wouldn't be as worried if the SIM card for this one fit in my old phone, but it doesn't, so I guess I'm stuck without a phone for a little bit.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Does your provider offer insurance?
I dunno. I never really thought about it, but it's a prepaid phone through ATT, so I would assume no. I guess I'll check.

If it truly is only 3 days old, buy a squaretrade warranty and put a claim in.
Squaretrade warranty costs $125, and then a $100 deductible. I spent $75 on the phone.

Edit: Just checked and ATT's insurance plan doesn't offer coverage for my phone, unless I'm missing something. It's a Nokia Lumia 520 and it's not on the list. And their insurance plan has a monthly rate of $7 and the lowest deductible is $50, so I wouldn't be saving much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I know it didn't cost much but I don't really have $75 to just blow away on another phone. But I guess it's what I'll have to do. I'll just keep with my old one until then.

Simple solution, stop using your phone on the crapper.  You can live without your phone for the short time you have to be on the pot.  If you were just walking through the bathroom, and it slipped out of your hand, my question is why did you have your phone out in the bathroom?

if you were accident prone you should have that sucker in a life proof or otterbox armor.  When I am in the stall, I know exactly where that phone is at all times (holstered and away from the floor/toilet).

bread's done
Back