Picked up a Saturn for free

erehwon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
I put a post a while back in my local freecycle group that I was looking for some Saturn games. A month ago someone contacted me saying they had some. A month later after delays from holidays, I went to the mall to meet them. I got there and they gave it to me. I got:

Sega Saturn
contoller and rf adaptor
Fighting Vipers
Road Rash
A box with Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter 2, and Daytona USA bundled together.

It isn't much, but you can't argue with free. The only downside is that the people were smokers. I now have a Saturn that smells of smoke and one that smells of dog. I think both are model 2 since they have round buttons. I'm thinking of getting a modchip for it and maybe trying the Saturn Import Mod. I already got some tips on removing the smoke smell from another topic I posted over at Digital Press. I'm glad I have a few more games for that system. Before, I only had one and the only place to find them anymore in Fort Wayne is McVans.

no need to mod the Saturn. Just get a cart. I have one that lets me play imports, its a mem card, a gameshark/ action replay dealy, and it has the 4mb of extra memory that lets you play all the best capcom and snk fighters.

Aren't those carts hard to find though? I remember trying to find one years back but no luck. BTW - did they make an a/v, s/video cable for it?

Grats on the Saturn!

Yea, they did make a/v cables. I've seen them on ebay. I'm just wondering if they made Component? I've seen scart cables but I have not seen any component cables.

Racketboy, I was thinking of your modchip. I also had a few questions about your RAM cart. Does it have any memory for game saves or is it just the extra memory for required for some games? Is safe to use? I heard that some of the third party carts had thicker pcb's and that would damage the cart connector.

I'm not sure how I want to do imports. I was thinking about the mod, but the 4-In-1 carts are easier. I want to learn a little more electronics, so the mod might be a good thing to try. I also have all the tools so that I can do these mods.

My carts are only for the video memory.
The Action Replays don't do a very good job with game saves anyway.
I haven't heard any reports of any problems with my carts yet. I've sold about 70 or so over a course of 6 months.

So, is the internal memory enough or should I look for one of those carts? I thought I saw a few on ebay.

Here is a quote about that damage from a saturn faq that I was looking at:

Upon closer inspection, the Interact cartridge has a wider circuit
board than the official Sega cartridge. What does this mean? It means
that using such a cartridge can widen the Saturn's Cartridge slot,
making the pin connections with other cartridges difficult. Using such
a cartridge basically damages your console. If you use such a cartridge
and then use another cartridge, then the cartridge with the regular
circuit board thickness will not have a proper pin connection with the
console, thanks to the widening of the slot from the thicker circuit
board. The fact that the console will not always recognize that a
cartridge is plugged in can be attributed to the widening of the slot.

Here is the link

[quote name='erehwon'] I'm glad I have a few more games for that system. Before, I only had one and the only place to find them anymore in Fort Wayne is McVans.[/QUOTE]

If you're looking for cheap games in FW, check out that pawn shop up rt 3(or is it 9?)/ lima rd in kendallville. The last time I was there, they had quite a selection for dirt cheap(that was before xmas though.) Also the washington center gamecrazy had some disc only games for pretty cheap.

Congrats...the Saturn is one of my favorite consoles. There are a ton of underappreciated games for it, especially since you're interested in importing. The Action Replay 4M+ cart is a great one for playing imports, saving your games, and it even includes the extra RAM expansion for games that use it. :) If you want advice on what games to look for, try checking the Saturn General board over at GameFAQs. It's one of the most mature boards on the site.

thanks for the support :)

And in replay to the cart damage thing, my carts aren't made by Interact, so I wouldn't assume mine are the same way

[quote name='briansraregames']If you're looking for cheap games in FW, check out that pawn shop up rt 3(or is it 9?)/ lima rd in kendallville. The last time I was there, they had quite a selection for dirt cheap(that was before xmas though.) Also the washington center gamecrazy had some disc only games for pretty cheap.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for telling me about those places, but I don't remember there ever being a Gamecrazy on Washington Center, there is a McVans. Are you refering to the one on St. Joe Center Rd?

Racketboy, I was just asking about the cart damage to be careful and to see if you or anyone else had heard of that. I might pick up one of those modchips whenever I get some extra cash.

So far, the only game for the saturn that I have and want to play is Shining the Holy Ark. I picked that up at a garage sale. The others I have now don't seem too interesting. How is shining the holy ark? Also is there a good list somewhere of the best saturn games (US and JPN)?

I really need to clean my controllers. They're all pretty dirty. They've also seemed kind of flimsy.

yeah my gamecrazy had a couple for like 1.99. I grabbed a pnazar dragoon but it was scratched like crazy. still got some other good ones.

I checked one of my game crazy stores a month or two ago for saturn games. They didn't have anything good. The only other one in town doesn't even carry them anymore.

[quote name='erehwon']Thanks for telling me about those places, but I don't remember there ever being a Gamecrazy on Washington Center, there is a McVans. Are you refering to the one on St. Joe Center Rd?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's the one.

[quote name='Psykodelik']Aren't those carts hard to find though? I remember trying to find one years back but no luck. BTW - did they make an a/v, s/video cable for it?

Grats on the Saturn![/QUOTE]

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Sega-Saturn-Action-Replay-4M-PLUS-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ8246835280QQcategoryZ3654QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks to be around $40 shipped. You could do a switchless mod too, but I know not everyone is comfortable with modding their systems.

If you do mod it, you can get a 4mb ram cart fairly cheaply by buying Vampire Saviour import with the 4mb cart Ive seen that recently go for as low as $40. You'll be getting a great game, and that 4mb cart will let you play any other game that uses it as well.

Quick question that Racketboy can probably answer...

Will the capcom 4mb cart work with games that require the 1mb cart? Like those SNK fighters? Or is it only the 4in1 carts that will play all the games?

[quote name='darkwingduck13']Jandaman is all you need for the Action Replay 4M Plus cart:

http://www.jandaman.com/games.mvc?p=satar4mplus&Category_code=SAT

I've heard other people say good things about that store, though I've never ordered myself. You'll be hard-pressed to find as good a deal as this on eBay. :)

This cart works for both types of games, those that use the 4 meg expansion and the 1 meg expansion...it automatically senses.[/QUOTE]

Wow! Thats a sweet price! I think I paid more than that back in the day. I think this would be the best solution for the op...

[quote name='Rayray']Shaq-fuin' smokers suck![/QUOTE]

Yea. I'm starting to become a collector and that's really made me dislike smoking. Not to mention I've seen the mess it makes in computers when that smoke combines with dust.

I'm trying to get rid of the smell. I washed the system off first with a wet paper towel and then used some windex on it. That seemed to help. I got some game cases I'm trying to deordorize by leaving them in a box for a few days with some baking soda. I also might try febreze on the cases.

bread's done
Back