Picked up Enemy Territory Quake Wars @ Target for $10

STATIC3D

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
OK, I know this is the Braggin Rights section, and even thou I picked up Enemy Territory Quake Wars at Target for the PC for just $10, this is gonna end in a bit of a rant...sorry (you've been warned...lol).

I played the HELL out of Enemy Territory Return to Castle Wolfenstien. I mean, a FREE game, that still had ppl modding and playing it years later just because it was fun...great times. OK, so when I saw they were coming up with Quake Wars, I thought it might be fun to check out. However, at the time it came out, my PC was a POS that would not run it well. So, I decided to wait until I had upgraded.

After purchasing this game (as well as a couple of other now cheap PC titles), I remember WHY I stopped playing so many PC games and turned towards consoles...EASE OF USE! Granted, back in the day, I kept my gaming machine in top shape with high end video cards, fast processors, etc. But, being married with children, those types of expenses are often put on the back burner. And besides, playing with my boys is more fun anyway. So, when I had the opportunity to buy a new machine, I did like MOST people do and picked up one that was already put together. Now, I KNEW that it would not be top of the line for gaming. But, I figured (based upon the specs alone begin a lot better than the one I had) that I would be able to go pick up some of those PC games I had to pass on in the past (which would be CHEAP now too!) and play them...boy was I wrong.

I have 2 PC games (not going to mention the titles) sitting in the closet STILL not yet able to be played because the PC I have just will NOT run them well AT ALL. I'm sure some ppl will say "well go upgrade." Um...remember the "married with children" part from before? Ok. So, that's not an option. I can understand WHY the PC gaming market has gone downhilll the way it has by comparison to the console market (since the last genertion). Why spend as much as ppl do on a new PC and NOT be able to play some of the new games coming out, especially when you can do so with basically plug and play (drop in disc and play) speed of a console?

Now, EVEN IF my PC would have been fast enough to run those other games, which it should not have the same problem with Enemy Territory Quake Wars...I STILL don't know if I can play ET:QW for one reason...BECAUSE I'M HAVING TO DOWNLOAD A 450+ MEG PATCH FOR THE DAMNED GAME BEFORE I CAN EVEN GET IT TO ACCEPT A NEW ACCOUNT LOGIN!!!!!

I'm sorry, don't get me wrong, I LOVE my keyboard/mouse for FPS games...but if THIS is what the "average joe" runs into on a regular basis, it's no wonder PC gaming has taken the hit it had on these type of games. Most ppl just don't have money/knowledge/skill/time to "invest" in something like this when they can look at a box sitting next to the TV that offers nearly as good (if not as good or better in some cases) graphics quality (on a larger screen many times too) with nearly plug-and-play functionality.

OK, sorry, I'm still glad I got ET:QW for $10...or I think I am...if I ever get to play it, then I will know for sure... :)

If your PC was high level for Return to Castle Wolfenstein.. and let's assume you've upgraded your system completely maybe once since then in say... 2004... there's no one to blame for the poor performance but yourself. That game's 7 years old; that's like 6 generations of nvidia graphics cards and over 9000 generations of CPU. At this point any system below a geforce 6, a gig of ram, and about an athlon 64 3000+ isn't going to run anything made in the last 1-2 years, and that probably just barely meets minimum system requirements for some of the less graphics/physics intense titles. What you need to do here is stop using the kids as an excuse. Who decided they need to eat every day?

AH, now I remember. It was THAT type of mentality which also helped to doom the PC gaming market compared to consoles as well. The customer base willing to accept anything and everything in order to "belong" to that elite class of "PC gamers" while the "average Joes" were looking for fun without all the hassles.

PSSST...just a tip...just because it "looks" better, does not mean it "plays" better...

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Actually, rampant piracy did.[/QUOTE]

True. The seemingly never-ending need to upgrade your computer to play the latest and the greatest didn't really do anything to help though.

[quote name='captainfrizo']True. The seemingly never-ending need to upgrade your computer to play the latest and the greatest didn't really do anything to help though.[/quote]

You only have to upgrade if you make a poor purchase. Buy a lower high-end card for about $250 to $300, and you're set for years. It is, though, much easier and more idiot-proof to be a console gamer, because you buy the console, and you're set.

bread's done
Back