Picross DS-General Discussion

I preordered from Amazon a month ago. It didn't arrive today (always a chance with 2-day shipping), so I checked on it. Estimated arrival is now the 8th. WTF?

[quote name='blandstalker']I preordered from Amazon a month ago. It didn't arrive today (always a chance with 2-day shipping), so I checked on it. Estimated arrival is now the 8th. WTF?[/quote]

Ordered mine from Amazon as well and hasn't shipped yet.

[quote name='pete5883']A shame you can't switch from button to stylus without going into the menu. Online multi was quite a surprise for me - half my wins are from premature disconnections, and boy did I get my monkey ass whooped for my losses. I got beaten by a "Master" in 35 seconds![/QUOTE]

I've won only twice - once from a disconnection, and once from the only person online worse than me.

How does anybody solve 2 of these puzzles in 35-55 seconds is beyond me. Is there some way to cheat I don't know about?

[quote name='DirtRoadSport']I've won only twice - once from a disconnection, and once from the only person online worse than me.

How does anybody solve 2 of these puzzles in 35-55 seconds is beyond me. Is there some way to cheat I don't know about?[/quote]

I'm guessing that the people who've played thousands of matches online start to remember each of the puzzles, so they will already know what the picture looks like and where to fill the spaces.

Unfortunately getting a space wrong only seems to dock you 5 seconds. This is probably ripe for abuse. But I assume the Master that beat me probably had all the puzzles memorized. Because that was a harder one.

I never really understood how picross was suitable for multiplayer... Single player's pretty fun, though. The animations for the finished puzzles are awesome.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I was looking for more Picross content lately. Is the only U.S. released Picross game besides this Mario's Picross for the Gameboy?[/quote]

If I remember correctly, and if Wikipedia is right, then yes, it is; and oh, what a sweet, sweet game it is.

[quote name='hootie']If I remember correctly, and if Wikipedia is right, then yes, it is; and oh, what a sweet, sweet game it is.[/quote]

Yeah, it's a really solid Picross compilation, although I feel sorry for anyone back when picking up the game looking for any real Mario action.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Petition to change the topic to "Picross DS is love"[/quote]

Heh, I think "General Discussion" is fine. ;)

[quote name='utopianmachine']I was looking for more Picross content lately. Is the only U.S. released Picross game besides this Mario's Picross for the Gameboy?[/quote]
I googled "nonograms" the other day and I got some sites with puzzles. I didn't try any out to see how good they were, though.

Pretty sure I'll be getting this one. Looks like it might be right up my alley.

Do downloaded maps save after powering down the DS or are they lost?

[quote name='wubb']Do downloaded maps save after powering down the DS or are they lost?[/quote]

All of the puzzles you download from WiFi are saved until you delete them.

Wouldn't have changed my purchase decision, but that's awesome. Thanks for the info.

Is there a limit to the number you can save? (I'd guess there must be but hopefully it's very high. Wouldn't take many bytes to save a game board I don't think.)

Oh and can you have mulitple accounts for stat tracking and the daily play thing, etc. (I have to assume yes on that one.) Sorry for the questions that are probably already answered in this thread or found elsewhere, but I'm just so damn lazy. ;)

Someone needs to straighten out the Shipwrecks, Wombat, and Cheapy about this game. None of them have played a picross game before, nor even seemed to know what they are. To her credit, Mrs. Ship did some research to kind of see how they're played, but they still seemed unaware of the sweet sweetness that is picross. I would think Cheapy would know about it since picross is much bigger in Japan than it is here.

[quote name='wubb']Is there a limit to the number you can save? (I'd guess there must be but hopefully it's very high. Wouldn't take many bytes to save a game board I don't think.)

Oh and can you have mulitple accounts for stat tracking and the daily play thing, etc. (I have to assume yes on that one.) Sorry for the questions that are probably already answered in this thread or found elsewhere, but I'm just so damn lazy. ;)[/quote]

I'm not positive on the limit, but I've had 20 at one time, and each page says 1/10, 2/10, so maybe you can fit 100.

As for multiple accounts, unfortunately you can only have 1 account in Picross, but since I'm the only one playing my copy, it's not a problem for me. :)

If you run out of handheld picross love, Neo Geo Pocket Color has a picross game as well called picture puzzle. I think they can be found cheap on ebay.
Its not as great as this version since it only goes up to like 15x15 (can't remember100%, I need a new battery to play mine) but its picross :p

I hope now that it has received good scores from the mags more people will buy it and we will get tonso f new picross games coming out. Similar to waht happened with the brain training games. Luckily its hard to screw picross up so any new puzzles will still be great to have.

[quote name='hootie']They should release a Phoenix Wright Picross Pack on WiFi....:drool:[/quote]

Hmmm...Phoenix's finger, Maya's bangs, and, most importantly, Mia's cleavage.

[quote name='Tybee']Someone needs to straighten out the Shipwrecks, Wombat, and Cheapy about this game. None of them have played a picross game before, nor even seemed to know what they are. To her credit, Mrs. Ship did some research to kind of see how they're played, but they still seemed unaware of the sweet sweetness that is picross. I would think Cheapy would know about it since picross is much bigger in Japan than it is here.[/quote]
Agreed. We need to gather them up and burn them for heresy. How dare they not like a game Tybee likes.

Edit>Call me a troll but after playing few picross games on the web convinced me to never buy this. :(

[quote name='laaj']Agreed. We need to gather them up and burn them for heresy. How dare they not like a game Tybee likes.

Edit>Call me a troll but after playing few picross games on the web convinced me to never buy this. :([/quote]

I'm sorry but I kind of felt the same way Tybee did. After reading the release notice in the shipwreck's article. I also got the feeling they haven't tried it or played picross before. It made the game sound like another boring overpriced generic puzzler,and if I had never played it before, certainly would not have picked it up based on the review they gave.

I can't tell if your being sarcastic to Tybee or not but it comes across as a bit rude. - Or was it a lighthearted joke?
He wasn't saying anything negative about them, just that their review seemed to suggest that they haven't played the game before; while at the same time rating it as another puzzler that is nothing special.

[quote name='hootie']All in favor of sending both Cheapy and Wombat a copy of Picross DS? I'd chip in about $5 if needed :).[/quote]

I'll chip in $5 - $10 as well.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']I'm sorry but I kind of felt the same way Tybee did. After reading the release notice in the shipwreck's article. I also got the feeling they haven't tried it or played picross before. It made the game sound like another boring overpriced generic puzzler,and if I had never played it before, certainly would not have picked it up based on the review they gave.

I can't tell if your being sarcastic to Tybee or not but it comes across as a bit rude. - Or was it a lighthearted joke?
He wasn't saying anything negative about them, just that their review seemed to suggest that they haven't played the game before; while at the same time rating it as another puzzler that is nothing special.[/quote]

Thx, I forgot sarcasm doesn't work over the interweb. What's wrong with rating it as just another puzzler? Just because you think the game is special they can't say they don't like or care for it?

That wasn't really what we were trying to get across. You're more then allowed to dislike something if you have tried it and find it's not for you. Just like you tried picross and didn't like it. That's fine.

What we are trying to say is that it's a bit depressing to see a write up of a much beloved game from a someone who has based it off of just pictures alone and has not played it through enough to give it a chance.
You have to admit the remarks weren't a big motivator to go out and buy it.

We've been waiting a long time for another handheld picross game to come along. It needs all the good press it can get if we are to see another one.

I will admit the game looks boring on paper, so does sudoku. The fun is playing it. Or in your case, there is no fun. - But at least you tried it and discovered you dont like it, which is all we ask.

For those of you who can't get enough Picross...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario's_Super_Picross

There was a SNES version in Japan. I know emulation is a shady subject around here, but it IS a 12 year old game never released in the US. I managed to play it some, and the menus are basically all in english, and if you've played any other Picross game (and most of you have, if you're reading this thread!!!) then it's no trouble at all.

In fact, it's a little more fun, b/c a lot of the puzzles are japanese characters, which I'm not familiar with at all, so for methere's no logic to the image I'm making. Happy hunting for it!

Damn, I went to get this at Gamecrazy (where I have credit to burn and $20 is nothing) and they said they only got 2 copies and they were preorders. They said more might come in Friday and they'd save me one if so. I guess I better call Saturday and check. This sounds interesting. I'd like a reason to fire up my DS for the first time in months. Not that I don't have a huge backlog of DS games, but this sounds different enough to get me back into it.

Amazon's ETA was 8/8 for my preorder, but there it was yesterday.

Disappointed with the stylus controls
[*], but very glad there's an alternate. Thoroughly enjoying it so far.

[*]There was a Picross-type game for the Palm Pilot, which is where I first learned that Picross is like crack. It's a shame that years later, Nintendo delivers something that...isn't as good, interface wise.

Thanks for the drymouth link. I never knew about that game.
Picross is fun on the pc, but it can't beat playing it on a handheld on your comfy couch ;P

[quote name='radjago']Drymouth was a homebrew picross game for GBC. Pretty good one too. Too bad they never got picked up by a publisher. It's available for download now.

http://demiforce.parodius.com/drymouth/[/quote]

Wow....That brings back some memories. I actually interviewed the Demiforce guys in person at E3 back in 2000. We had lunch with them and they let us play Drymouth for about 30 mins or so. We previewed it on our site and had high hopes it would get a publisher. Guess it never happened.

I just picked this up as a surprise for me wife, who loves these. However, I'm either very disppointed in one aspect of it, or I just have the settings wrong.

Is it true that for the My Picross (i.e. downloaded) puzzles, you always see what the picture is before solving it? That seems incredibly stupid. If not, how do I hide the thumbnails so that just the name of the puzzle is shown? What's the point if you can see the answer before you solve it?

It only shows the completed picture of the puzzles that you have made on your copy of the game. Any puzzles that you download either locally or over wifi have a question mark for the picture.

Ah, ok. Much better.

So what I was trying to do was to create a puzzle that says "I love you" or something like that as a surprise for my wife when I first give her the game (that's why I opened it). Obviously that's no good if she can see it before she solves the puzzle.

Maybe someone here can download the puzzle from me, and then I can delete it and then download it back so that it shows up as a question mark. Would that work, and is anyone willing to help me in this corny gesture?

[quote name='hootie']I'm not positive on the limit, but I've had 20 at one time, and each page says 1/10, 2/10, so maybe you can fit 100.

As for multiple accounts, unfortunately you can only have 1 account in Picross, but since I'm the only one playing my copy, it's not a problem for me. :)[/QUOTE]

Picked it up and yeah it looks like 100 might be the limit for custom boards. Not bad.

The no multiple accounts thing is a major bummer. Had a few friends try it out this weekend and they had to sort of not look at the screen when choosing a puzzle to play since it shows the solved puzzles in thumbnail. I was really surprised they didn't have a system like brain age where it allows multiple accounts and then shows how your time stacks up to the other people and charts your daily Picross times against everyone, etc. Dumb. You basically have to buy a separate copy of the game for each serious player in the house. Ugh.

Other than that I love the game.

Are there puzzles available to download from Nintendo? I thought they review I read said the old GBA version's puzzles were up but when I hopped on it just said 'puzzles coming soon' or something like that.

I have a feeling it's going to say "coming soon" for a while now. American branches of Japanese companies are never as conscientious about posting stuff online as their Japanese counterparts.

Oh well. Pretty infuriating when they obviously have them all set and ready to put up since they are available in Japan (and from some googling I'm pretty sure Europe has at least 2 packs available for download as well...)

This is one of the most addictive games I've played in a while. I find myself daydreaming about picross situations and rows of Xs. :lol:

[quote name='Backlash']Ah, ok. Much better.

So what I was trying to do was to create a puzzle that says "I love you" or something like that as a surprise for my wife when I first give her the game (that's why I opened it). Obviously that's no good if she can see it before she solves the puzzle.

Maybe someone here can download the puzzle from me, and then I can delete it and then download it back so that it shows up as a question mark. Would that work, and is anyone willing to help me in this corny gesture?[/QUOTE]

I'd help you out with that. Have any other puzzles you could put up as well? :) I have a few I've put up although they aren't anything great.

We need to get a friend code thread (or add FCs to this thread.) I'd love to download some CAG made puzzles.

[quote name='wubb']
I'd help you out with that. Have any other puzzles you could put up as well? :) I have a few I've put up although they aren't anything great.

We need to get a friend code thread (or add FCs to this thread.) I'd love to download some CAG made puzzles.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Wubb. I'll have to get my DS online (never connected before, but I have a wireless network at home so I don't think it should be a problem) and then I'll figure out my friend code and send it to you.

I don't have any other puzzles, just this one crappy, sappy one right now :)

bread's done
Back