Pigeon Problem!

pacifickarma

CAGiversary!
Feedback
32 (100%)
My wife and I recently moved into a beautiful, newer home. It has one glaring, noisy problem: pigeons! There is a seemingly-permanent flock of pigeons on my roof. They seem to live on one side of my house and constantly make their cooing sounds and poop all over the side of my home. Has anyone here had any success at discouraging pigeons from roosting on a house?

Google "bird proofing" you can put up some clear, plastic spikes that'll keep the birds from landing. They'll probably stand out and wont look very nice, but its better than having pigeons.

pigeon_crosshair_crop--article_blog_image.jpg

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']hows your aim?[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. Or you can put a bunch of cats on your roof, film the the ensuing chaos, and sell it to Animal Planet.

Go outside with a towel and wave it around while making hissing and other crazy sounds, that's how we got rid of our pigeon problem. It may take a few attempts.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Ctrl+F: "stick it in"
Term not found.[/QUOTE]

Just for you....

stick it in their pooper.

I'm hoping to resolve the situation without "exploding" any pigeons. I dislike their presence on the roof and their poop on the ground, but I don't want to vaporize any birds in the process. Also, shooting them is out since I live in a well-populated area. I'll try the noise tactic for now, and my dad found a plastic owl in his garage that I might try putting on my roof. Thanks for the suggestions!

Odd suggestion: do you know anyone with a Springer Spaniel? I'd heard of people renting/loaning springers to local parks and such to solve bird problems (mostly geese.) Or if you happen to be looking for a dog, you could adopt one- spainels are awesome dogs. :D

You should call your local city hall/animal control... perhaps they have tips for dealing with your local pigeons, or even a removal program.

I know the bird spikes work on the pigeons around here, but you'll probably have to use a ton of it to get the desired result- They put some up on the store next door to the one where I work. They pigeons do not roost there now- they roost 50 feet down where the spikes stop. :whistle2:s

I'm pretty sure the OP knows how to use google. He's looking for some things that are cheap and easy to do.

Cheapo solutions:

Do you have any seed bearing trees on your property? Cut off their food supply and they'll go along with it. Other than that you could leave a radio on your roof for a day and they might be so scared shitless of your house they won't come back.Waterhose might work too.

The radio isn't a bad idea. I think I might give that a try. I was also considering finding a mylar helium balloon and hanging that nearby to frighten them.

Plastic owl on the roof. You just have to move it every few days so the pigeons don't realize it's a fake.

Damn, I hate pigeons.

i dont know if this would work with pigeons. but we used to have a crow problem and if you pointed a laser pointer at them they went nuts and would fly away. maybe try that?

[quote name='Anexanhume']Just tell them their pussy ain't worth the Ramada.[/QUOTE]

Not those pigeons. OP would say more likely say "Hood Rat Problems".

[quote name='WeaponX2099']Not those pigeons. OP would say more likely say "Hood Rat Problems".[/QUOTE]

I thought those were called "chicken heads"?

[quote name='shieryda']I thought those were called "chicken heads"?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that too. There are a million names for them. My favorite is bust down.

We have a train overpass by us. We have to run when go underneath, because we're afraid the pigeons that roost there will shit on our heads. The one by the commuter train has bird shit all over the sidewalk and it fucking stinks. I have to hold my breath when I walk to the train. The goddamn City won't do anything about it, though. fucking flying rats!!!

bread's done
Back