Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition - $29.99/$23.99 with GCU (PS4 & X1)

From everything I've gathered, this is a novel with little combat. 

Want to try something cool? Try Shadow Tactics for PS4. Camera sucks, but you later get used to it. Lot of fun.

Want to try something cool? Try Shadow Tactics for PS4. Camera sucks, but you later get used to it. Lot of fun.
It's a good thing there aren't too many fights, because you have to ration your skill uses between dungeons/areas, and each fight is high-stakes. You have to figure out a party composition and skillset that you think will get you through an encounter without losing party members.

There's a lot of text, including tons of garbage flavor text from backers. Thankfully, you can skip that stuff whenever you stumble into it.

From what I've played so far, I've spent a good chunk of play time in battles/ exploring. It's not all dialogue. There's a good amount of voice acting for the main story. I have spent a lot of time "studying" skills and talents so I level my characters accordingly, but even if you "screw up" you can respec characters for a small amount of money. A vast selection of difficulty levels allows you to enjoy the game how you see fit, and you can change these at any time. You can recruit npcs who have story arcs, or create an entire party to your liking by hiring recruits. During travel you can fast forward time, making exploring much quicker, while being able to slow time during battle to help manage more chaotic fights. Save anywhere, anytime. Auto-saving. The way you react to situations actually affect how others perceive you. It's a great game, but does require some time to get into if you're not seasoned with this genre (I'm pretty green myself). Just my random thoughts, but I highly recommend the game if you're looking for a good old school rpg.

As mentioned above, there is a lot of unnecessary text from backers of the game, but all those characters have a gold name so you easily know which characters you can skip over if you don't feel like reading all of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

You’re thinking of Tide of Numera. Pillars has a ton of combat, and it’s actually a bit of a negative. The problem is you can only get so much exp from killing an enemy type, and once you’ve capped you get nothing. This leads to having to slog through fights with no real reward for doing so.

Can anyone comment on how well the Xbox version runs?

bread's done
Back