PINBALL ARCADE XBLA - Xbox One 11/26 Release

[quote name='crunchewy']A friend of mine pointed out that some really wonky stuff is going on in Black Hole. The ball goes down the lower playfield exit, which is impossible in the real game. I hope they haven't royally screwed things up as bad as that in other games as well.[/QUOTE]

While I too appreciate virtual pinball games being as close to the real thing as possible. Wouldn't it make more sense for the ball to go backward given the blackhole? I could totally see that being the original concept from the designers, but just not being possible given the physical limitation of a pinball machine.

Then again, we never had Black Hole at any arcades where I live. So I've got no personal beef with it. Now if they messed with Whirlwind, I'm afraid I'd have to go postal. But, as we all know they did a fantastic job with that one.

If you have an Android device, you can download the preview from the Market...been playing it for a week and it's pretty awesome.

I was so excited about this - I loved and played the hell out of Pinball Hall of Fame, and was eager for more. Then I saw they were only available in packs, and my spirits dampened. Half the tables in their initial offering are already on the Hall of Fame disc. Combine that with the fact that at least half the announced titles are also on the disc, and you see their business model - if you want the tables you don't own, you must buy the ones you do a second time. No thanks!

Guess I'll have to go back to Virtual Pinball to get my genuine pinball fix.

I would agree with you on principle on just about any other game. But in this case, I will double dip and just sell my disc. I like pinball games but am not hardcore about them, so I very rarely feel like looking for the disc to play it since it would only be for playing like 2 games at a time. However, now I can keep my "main" games in the Xbox and still play me some Williams pinball.

[quote name='rbenns2']Half the tables in their initial offering are already on the Hall of Fame disc. Combine that with the fact that at least half the announced titles are also on the disc, and you see their business model - if you want the tables you don't own, you must buy the ones you do a second time. No thanks!
[/QUOTE]

The four table launch collection includes Tales of the Arabian Nights®, Ripley's Believe It or Not®, Theatre of Magic®, and Black Hole™.

Tales of the Arabian Nights, Medieval Madness, Funhouse, Black Knight, Space Shuttle, Pin•Bot are from Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection.

Black Hole and Big Shot are from the Gottlieb collection which wasn't that good and only on the Wii and PS2 so to get a new version with a new physics engine with HD graphics for the 360 is a win.

Ripley's Believe It or Not is new.
Theatre of Magic is new.
Monster Bash is new.
Creature from the Black Lagoon is new.
Attack from Mars is new.
Circus Voltaire is new.

So to start, there are 8 new titles for the Xbox 360 owners. And 6 tables from the Williams Collection.

But even for the repeat tables, it now has online multiplayer and better leaderboards (more in line with what Pinball FX2 is offering). there'll also be additional game modes, online pinball tournaments, etc.

And they've promised Bally and Stern tables! Most of my favorite ones are Bally tables.

The first two DLC tables, at least for iOS and Android, and presumably 360/PS3, are Medieval Madness, which is a repeat, but Bride of Pinbot, which is new. Bride of Pinbot isn't really that good of a game, in fact it's kind of stupid, LOL, but fun for a while anyway. And really I'm more excited about that then about playing Medieval Madness again since it's a repeat (and because I have a real one, in good condition, I get to play at league each week, at least for now....)

I think Tee'd Off was a "highlight" of the Gottleib Collection, wasn't it? I never played that collection, but that's a pretty terrible game. Black Hole is a pretty good game, at least after you read the rules (otherwise it can feel pretty cruel, LOL). Most of the Premier/Gottleib games (such as Tee'd Off) are really awful, but there are some good ones here and there. Mostly I'm excited for the Gottleib EM games we presumably will be getting.

Hmm..sounds like once Black Hole and Tee'd Off hits, I'll be trading in my Gottlieb collection to Gamestop. It will be nice to have some updated graphics anyway.

They've made no mention of Tee'd Off yet, but since they had it in an old collection I'm sure it will show up eventually. Black Hole is in the release set of games.

Will the initial release have the 4 pins or 6? I didn't know if the first 2 announced DLC pins will be part of the base package on XBLA. I hope the DLC tables don't take to long to show up.

The launch machines are the same four in the iOS and Android versions: Ripley's Believe it or Not, Theatre of Magic, Tales of the Arabian Nights and Black Hole. I don't think the new DLC will be out at launch, but would love to be proven wrong. Also I'm not clear on if you'll buy it and get those four machines, or if the game will be free with no machines, and they are all DLC. Or one included and the rest DLC (which is how it is on iOS, at least).

By the way, do new XBLA releases come out in the morning? Midnight the night before? Some other time?

Last edited by a moderator:
This will be released tomorrow (3-28-12) for 800msp, it'll include the 4 tables currently available on ios.

I think it is 3:00 AM Pacific time. Anyone know for sure?

[quote name='crunchewy']The launch machines are the same four in the iOS and Android versions: Ripley's Believe it or Not, Theatre of Magic, Tales of the Arabian Nights and Black Hole. I don't think the new DLC will be out at launch, but would love to be proven wrong. Also I'm not clear on if you'll buy it and get those four machines, or if the game will be free with no machines, and they are all DLC. Or one included and the rest DLC (which is how it is on iOS, at least).

By the way, do new XBLA releases come out in the morning? Midnight the night before? Some other time?[/QUOTE]

kind of a bummer that TotAN is a duplicate, but maybe this one will make Harem MB actually work...

I still think Creature is too busy for video pinball, but I'm kind of looking forward to Cirque Voltaire since I used to love that stupid thing back in the day.

which are the 4 tables? man, this game is receiving very poor advertising. the facebook page is empty. the corporate web site is amateurish...

4 tables for 10 bucks I'm good with. A little concerned about table pricing going forward but I can always wait for sales if it winds up being 5 bucks a table or whatever.

I am pretty much dying for this game as I love pinball games and I just can't wait for it to come out, I won't be able to get it right away because I have to wait until I get my microsoft points card in the mail from newegg but I should have that by this friday.

[quote name='SaraAB']I am pretty much dying for this game as I love pinball games and I just can't wait for it to come out, I won't be able to get it right away because I have to wait until I get my microsoft points card in the mail from newegg but I should have that by this friday.[/QUOTE]

Newegg having a deal on'em? I already bought 4000msp from XBL tonight.

Looks like we may be SOL today. New game is up and it ain't TPA. Hope it's just a minor delay (as in a few hours) but not getting my hopes up.

It is delayed a week. From their Facebook page (I don't know how to provide a link, and the link in the message on twitter is broken):

Microsoft has asked Crave (the XBLA publisher) to delay the release for a week to get better placement on the dashboard. We're sorry for the delay, but as of yesterday we were still hopeful to get review codes to give to the press and at least the option to release today. Even Microsoft seems to have expected the game to have been released this week. We will update again later today when the date is official

:(

Oh well.

[quote name='KaneRobot']4 tables for 10 bucks I'm good with. A little concerned about table pricing going forward but I can always wait for sales if it winds up being 5 bucks a table or whatever.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure they said it was going to be less -- a lot less -- than $5 a table...more like $2...though there might be some licensed tables that may be a bit more than others.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']Pretty sure they said it was going to be less -- a lot less -- than $5 a table...more like $2...though there might be some licensed tables that may be a bit more than others.[/QUOTE]

The prices of the DLC vary on iOS, so I imagine it will be the same on XBLA. Ripley's was the most expensive at $3.99, and it's also the most recent game. Least expensive was Black Hole at $1.99, unless you count Tales of the Arabian Nights which is 99 cents with the initial app (or a separate 99c with the free version). So, hopefully they have similar pricing on XBLA.

The launch tables will be 800 points and MM and Bride will be bundled 400 for both. Sorry for the delay - hopefully we can get that first DLC pack approved quickly. Yes, it will be 400 for each monthly two pack.
This quote comes directly from FarSight on The Pinball Arcade Facebook page. I don't see prices going higher than 200msp for each table, they have to stay competitive.

yeah, there's zero visibility for Pinball Arcade besides pinball diehards... where are all the reviews? they needed to give out free games to the reviewers (cheap bastards) in order for them to write reviews for launch of the title. these reviewers are not going to pay money to buy a niche game.

The Xbox 360 version has passed certification testing by Microsoft and we can now officially announce that the game will be released for 360 on April 4th.

Posted three hours ago from FarSight on the Facebook page.

The Xbox 360 version has passed certification testing by Microsoft and we can now officially announce that the game will be released for 360 on April 4th.
Another quote from FarSight, three hours ago on their Facebook page.

Thanks for updating me. There are few good console pinball games, and an actual pinball machine in my area is now hard to find, therefore the xbox 360 has taken the place of them. Its not like playing a real machine, but its better than having nothing.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']This is one game where I hope the flow of DLC is non stop.[/QUOTE]

for Pinball Arcade, the rate-limiting step (any O-chem people out there???) is acquisition of arcade pinball machines. That's what's cool about FarSight. Their pinball games are based on real tables that we played as kids.

Heck, if I owned a pinball table, I'd lend it to FarSight Studios for them to immortalize it (as long as I get a free 360 copy!).

Glad to update. I get sick of seeing all the speculation, when the information is indeed available online.

Really been looking forward to this one! ToM was my all time favorite table growing up.

Also looking forward to diving into Ripley's too... haven't had a chance to play the real life machine yet.

I am also interested to see how some of my FX2 friends stack up on these tables.

See you guys on the leaderboards :D!

Just bought it and had a couple quick games with each table. I love it. The physics feel much more realistic than Pinball FX2. This quickly became apparent to me when I played just as blowfully as I do in real life :lol: If anyone wants to feel better about their own scores, feel free to add me (Just mention that you're a CAG; I never accept random friend requests, but will always add a fellow CAG)

I can see myself grabbing every dlc table they put out for this.

Black Hole is a pain in the ass. What exactly are you supposed to do on the lower table? Anytime I get it in there I get pissed because it basically ends my turn.

My ID is Dursman if anyone wants to add a fellow CAG in :)

This is exactly what I was hoping for -- a definite upgrade on the Pinball HOF console game with even better graphics (Tales of the Arabian Knights is noticeably improved), while retaining (if not improving) upon the physics. Even playing for a couple of minutes, this feels "real" in a way FX2 just doesn't...not to knock the former, but it's never felt like real pinball to me. This, as far as gaming emulations go, does.

[quote name='masked lemon']Black Hole is a pain in the ass. What exactly are you supposed to do on the lower table? Anytime I get it in there I get pissed because it basically ends my turn.[/QUOTE]

Go through the tutorial. The game is much better once you understand how to play it. You can, most importantly, open the gate for re-entry so you don't lose the ball.

In general the tutorials are excellent.

bread's done
Back