Pineapple Express Discussion Thread (comes out Wednesday)

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!! Never heard of this movie until now. Looks incredible! Love Seth Rogen, and I'll watch anything with Bill Lumberg in it.

This looks awesome. As Mak said, kind of a more crass (is that possible?) Big Lebowski. Maybe it is nothing like The Big Lebowski, but it is definitely in the "stoner gets involved in mystery" genre.

EDIT: Gotta love the internet. Looked up the lyrics to the song at the end of the trailer to find it is a song called Paper Planes by M.I.A. Downloading it on iTunes now.

Saw a trailer for this a while ago; been wanting to see it since. I'll definitely be at the theater day one. I've been wanting to see more James Franco since the Spider-Man movies (except three, of course).

Can't wait for this.

"I think we should stay."
"Why?!"
" 'Cause I'm in the dumpster already."

:rofl:

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Saw a trailer for this a while ago; been wanting to see it since. I'll definitely be at the theater day one. I've been wanting to see more James Franco since the Spider-Man movies (except three, of course).

Can't wait for this.

"I think we should stay."
"Why?!"
" 'Cause I'm in the dumpster already."

:rofl:
[/quote]

I think he played James Dean in that tv movie, too, if that strikes your fancy.

I'm a huge Seth Rogen fan....but James Franco? Total swing and a miss right there....he's not a funny guy at all in my opinion...maybe doesn't help that the only thing i've seen the dude in is Burn Notice and Spider-Man

Looks funny, hope it lives up to my expectations. Not that high after seeing the horrible new Harold and Kumar movie.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Seth Rogan is underrated IMHO.[/quote]

All of his movies do very well(except Drillbit), I don't get how he's underrated.

[quote name='ParticleReality']All of his movies do very well(except Drillbit), I don't get how he's underrated.[/quote]

there's s difference between underrated and making money.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']there's s difference between underrated and making money.[/quote]

They also receive very positive reviews.

[quote name='Chacrana']Seth Rogan seems to be a foolproof indicator that a comedy is unfunny.[/quote]

What?
Have you seen Knocked Up?
Or 40 Year Old Virgin?
I know you fuckin' hated Superbad...
But I think that he's awesome.

[quote name='ph33r m3']I'm a huge Seth Rogen fan....but James Franco? Total swing and a miss right there....he's not a funny guy at all in my opinion...maybe doesn't help that the only thing i've seen the dude in is Burn Notice and Spider-Man[/QUOTE]

James Franco was never in Burn Notice.

You [all] should watch Freaks and Geeks, though. Amazing tv series that sadly only ran for one year. Seth Rogen, James Franco, Jason Segel and more! Judd Apatow was a co-writer/director

I rarely ever smoke anymore, but you better believe I'm walking into this blazed up.

[quote name='emdub']James Franco was never in Burn Notice.

You [all] should watch Freaks and Geeks, though. Amazing tv series that sadly only ran for one year. Seth Rogen, James Franco, Jason Segel and more! Judd Apatow was a co-writer/director[/QUOTE]

I'm sold.

[quote name='linkpwns']What?
Have you seen Knocked Up?
Or 40 Year Old Virgin?
I know you fuckin' hated Superbad...
But I think that he's awesome.[/QUOTE]

I saw Knocked up a few weeks ago... probably a bit better than Superbad... same thing with 40 Year Old Virgin (though I saw that like 2 years ago.) The problem is that most of his movies rely entirely on saying bad words or innuendos. If you already talk that way IRL like I do, the jokes are probably not going to illicit any sort of reaction.

[quote name='Chacrana']I saw Knocked up a few weeks ago... probably a bit better than Superbad... same thing with 40 Year Old Virgin (though I saw that like 2 years ago.) The problem is that most of his movies rely entirely on saying bad words or innuendos. If you already talk that way IRL like I do, the jokes are probably not going to illicit any sort of reaction.[/quote]
Did you not like the mushroom trip scene in knocked up? I don't remember that having many swears and relying purely on the dialogue between Rogen and Paul Rudd. Either way though, your opinion so whatever floats your boat.

On topic, I can't wait for this movie. Rogen and Franco were great together in Freaks and Geeks and I'm hoping they still have the same chemistry.

[quote name='dragonsho']Did you not like the mushroom trip scene in knocked up? I don't remember that having many swears and relying purely on the dialogue between Rogen and Paul Rudd. Either way though, your opinion so whatever floats your boat.[/QUOTE]

It was kinda funny, but the problem is that a couple amusing scenes don't make a good movie... especially not when it's like a 2 hour+ epic of a comedy. Maybe I have the attention span of a half-retarded 3-year-old with ADD, but I like my comedies clocking in at 90 minutes max.

I hope Danny McBride has a decent role in this movie. Loved him in "Hot Rod". And Craig Robinson is great in "The Office".

Lest we forget about Lumbergh...

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Apatow/Rogen, but I think I'll wait to see Tropic Thunder instead. I can only justify seeing one comedy in a theater in such a short amount of time- may as well see one that at least billed as having action in it. I've heard it's the superior of the two anyway.

[quote name='Scorch']What, did none of you go see this?

I've never laughed so hard during a movie.[/quote]

I laughed out loud from beginning to end. GREAT movie.

I ain't going to lie, I was incredibly disappointed by this movie. There were funny moments, but none of the secondary characters did anything for me. Rogen and Franco were both solid, but everybody else was dull. Sarah Marshall, Superbad, 40 YO Virgin, and Knocked Up shit all over this movie.

I was disappointed with this flick too... the first half was gold, IMO... but it seemed to transition from a great stoner comedy to an action parody film in a matter of moments which really ruined it for me.

It sucked sums this film nicely. Terrible. Boring. Lame. Monotonous. Predictable. Few and far between jokes. Loved the opening and where the film went from there, but at about exactly the 1-hour mark, the movie became agony, with only a few chuckles to break it up. In fact, if you've seen any of the trailers for this film, then they pretty much give away all the great jokes for the movies, and though it's nice to see them worked out in the movie, there just isn't anything else to add. A few extras like the lines about a dead battery, but it's clearly evident that Apatow and Rogen really, really tried hard in this movie to come up with funny crap. There's far too many recycled jokes, jokes that fit better in their other films, or just cheesy stoner jokes that have been done before and usually better. They just tried too hard and created a film with not enough laughs and terrible pacing. This is probably the worst Apatow flick I've seen, and I'm severely disappointed. I'm usually a huge Apatow fan, but this doesn't get any justification or advocacy from me. Forgetting Sarah Marshall (I still love the Dracula musical), Superbad, 40 Year Old Virigin, and Knocked up are their best films. This one is definitely at the bottom of the totem poll

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']It sucked sums this film nicely. Terrible. Boring. Lame. Monotonous. Predictable. Few and far between jokes. Loved the opening and where the film went from there, but at about exactly the 1-hour mark, the movie became agony, with only a few chuckles to break it up. [/quote]

I really don't think we saw the same film.

bread's done
Back